+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ElusiveJones

Thread: Support Mage Question

Default Support Mage Question

I am lvling a support mage (46archon/20chrolo/0dom) my question is mostly to chroloas what veil do u use especially when you are in a support role lifegiving or lifebound. I may be blind but i have hard time determining the differences in them and i want to make sure i m using the right one.

I already have 2 50s a cleric and a rogue but i have always liked the archon tree so i decided my mage would be my main support build. I do have dmg spec and i will be putting on a WF pvp build right now i am sorting out the kinks in my main role so an answer to my question is greatly appreciated

The Omniscient- PR MANAGER
    ARCHON MAGE (BY CHOICE)
    4/4 DH,GP,ROTP 5/5 GSB, ROS 5/11 HK

Lifegiving is for group healing, it heals the entire party for a higher percentage of your damage done. Lifebound is tied to your Synthesis buff, which if tank healing needs to be applied to your tank. While it heals everyone for less, it heals your tank for much much more.

Lifebound is automatically applied to yourself when you Synthesis a target. Use it at your discretion, if the designated healer is having issues with the tank use Synthesis, otherwise stick with Lifegiving.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Rogrux View Post
    Lifebound is automatically applied to yourself when you Synthesis a target. Use it at your discretion, if the designated healer is having issues with the tank use Synthesis, otherwise stick with Lifegiving.
    Just make sure the designated healer is not a Mage, otherwise your LBV will overwrite his.

I found Archon/Chloro fun to play until I hit 50, then I went 51Archon with no Chloro for a full support role, mainly for raids.

Champion of Telara

For raids, you will need to go 51 Archon. The 51 point ability is one of the main reasons to have an archon in a raid. No good raid leader will use an Archon with less than 51 points.

For 5 mains, I think you would be better with a 34Chloro/32Archon build for support. You can back up heal well (tank heal a bit if your main healer goes down), and still do most of the archon buffs and debuffs. You can probably get by in 5-mans with a 44Archon/22Chloro build and provide a little back up healing, but you won't be able take over if your main healer dies.
    I am a lawyer in real life, but I try to roleplay an honorable character ;)

i am not a raider but i might drop 5 points off a chrolo i took the extra points for a rez in case it is needed
    thank you for the responses that is what i thought and you confirmed my irginal thoughts

ARCHON MAGE (BY CHOICE)

stupid editing....lol

i have respecced to suit my lvling better and taking advice in case i do ever get into raiding going to run 51 archon/10chrolo(for myself)/ and 5 dom but thanks for all the advice i have determined having the rez is not that importmant because even though i won't go full chrolo on my mage i will create a role that allows me to rez when needed

appreciate it thank you

ARCHON MAGE (BY CHOICE)

One thing about LBV and LGV is that if you are using non chloro/life spells they heal for the same amount. So using all your Buffing/debuff spells for archon will heal the same regardless. Of course if you have synth and are using non-chloro spells then LBV with synth would be better.

This is of course assuming your 5man healer isnt a chloro or your main AoE healers in a raid arent chloros. If you are using LBV/LGV with 40-51archon then you wont receive the other chloros heals and your own heals will be vastly underpowered in trying to heal yourself

A typical Archon spec is 51archon + 9dom/6pyro, 10dom/5pyro, 10dom/5ele, 10ele/5pyro (also 11dom/4x)

the Dom specs obviously brings support with CC, charged shield, threat drop, reflect, and a dispel. Also get an AoE Silence from 11dom.

pyro or ele is to increase your dps while the pyro/ele combo gives you survivability(10% less damage) and dps. 10ele helps a lot in higher damage fights such as alsbeth, Herald, Akylios, inquisitor, etc. You are buffing the raid with endurance, stats and resists, but personally you are only breaking even between the Auras and your self buffs, effectively making you the "weakest" raid member
    Last edited by Quietmode; 10-11-2011 at 07:40 AM.

Cleric Tank

Thank you again i think the spec i am running will suit me fine....and work well if i get into raids since i am now going 51 archon i won't use the chrolo buffs in the raid just the archon stuff the 10 in chrolo is for solo lvling. but i also don't forsee raiding anytime soon except for maybe a DRR. i do like the help of the typical builds smiles....i am far from typical i like finding builds that work for me and i can perfect to be useful i tweak though if needed so i keep what you said in mind

again thanks

i am also only interested in chrolo to spot heal the group and the ocassional bloom while lvling if the healer needs quick assistance actually used it alot in iron tomb last night as the group was new to the dungeon but i had run on my lvl 50 rogue when i lvled her. it helped at times

all in all i had fun in the dungeon doing dmg but providing buffs...don't know why the archon tree always intrigued me as far a mages were concerned

ARCHON MAGE (BY CHOICE)

I guess my question now is this

if i keep 10 points in chorlo for lvling purposes of my 51 point archon build would be looked down upon in raiding. i would not use the chrolo healing buffs for the raid just my archon stuff...i am just wondering if ppl would expect me drop chrolo completely even if no skills from the tree are being used in the raid. (if that makes sense)

i thank the person that gave me the 34chor/32archon build advice for dungeons

ARCHON MAGE (BY CHOICE)

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by akbalser View Post
    I guess my question now is this

if i keep 10 points in chorlo for lvling purposes of my 51 point archon build would be looked down upon in raiding. i would not use the chrolo healing buffs for the raid just my archon stuff...i am just wondering if ppl would expect me drop chrolo completely even if no skills from the tree are being used in the raid. (if that makes sense)

i thank the person that gave me the 34chor/32archon build advice for dungeons
    If you aren't using any Chloro abilities, more specifically the veils, then the raid can only criticize you for having a silly build. If you have veil up you are not getting any heals from other chloros, and as archon you are already the squishiest class out there, so it's not really a good idea to use a veil. An instant cast bloom, however, isn't a bad thing. Most archons go into pyro and dominator for the other 15 points, but some do warlock and some do elementalist.

thank you i think i might adjust again. i am glad she is only lvl 22.

0pyro/51archon/15dom. i will be questing in this build so i will get used to the squishness

then i have my five man dungeon build that someone suggested earlier

ARCHON MAGE (BY CHOICE)

+ Reply to Thread