+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New changes to SC for PvP

Champion of Telara

Default New changes to SC for PvP

Reposting in mage forums coz I realised posting in PTS not the best idea.

Ok, personally, I always felt the HS use in ST DPS was a bug.... so I'm not too bothered by the removal of building storm. I do think overall mage dmg should be buffed, but not using that old mechanic.

Anyway, back to the topic on hand. Anyone else think this change was awesome? I'm definitely looking forward to it. Have always wanted a 'slow' spell when kiting/running from melee aggressors. The stupid shield ability kept putting up 'immune' due to DR and only worked defensively, not offensively. Now I can slow you while on the move. I've always loved the cloudburst spamming SC due to mobility... its like a wannabe marksman with poor dmg :P. Now if only I had something to refresh my electrify stacks with while on the move...

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by masakari81 View Post

Anyway, back to the topic on hand. Anyone else think this change was awesome?
    switching from a talent that gives you 100% of crit chance with 100% of crit damage bonus on any hipo spell of your choice to a talent that makes a bad spell cast time change from a 1.8s to 1.5gcd?
    its awesomely bad.
    Last edited by Ruizo; 10-10-2011 at 08:58 PM.
    Once known as Nix-Zero

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.
    Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

Iri
    Champion

No, it's trash in PvP because nothing in SC hits hard without debuffs stacked up. Your instant icicle will hit for nothing on a R8 geared opponent, and will still count towards DR.

Champion of Telara

First.... the topic was regards to PvP and a mobility build. So comparing it to old building storm is kind of pointless.

2ndly, I don't know about you, but my cloud burst hits plenty hard for something that is spammable and can be done on the run. No other mage skill is able to do that. I've killed wars/rogues by running around in circles.... as opposed to most mages who like to just stand still. All I needed was something extra to slow them a bit without dropping my dps. So this change is fantastic in my opinion. Now I just need a mobile cast something that applies electrified stacks and I'm good to go as a strafing mage ! Pity stormguard is only useful for defence.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by masakari81 View Post
    First.... the topic was regards to PvP and a mobility build. So comparing it to old building storm is kind of pointless.

2ndly, I don't know about you, but my cloud burst hits plenty hard for something that is spammable and can be done on the run. No other mage skill is able to do that. I've killed wars/rogues by running around in circles.... as opposed to most mages who like to just stand still. All I needed was something extra to slow them a bit without dropping my dps. So this change is fantastic in my opinion. Now I just need a mobile cast something that applies electrified stacks and I'm good to go as a strafing mage ! Pity stormguard is only useful for defence.
    rogue plinks hits harder and with wonderfull procs added.
    you arent killing anybody plinkng them with icicle and cloudburst, low damage, zero burst - you are just running around and being a minor nuisance.
    if you want to really kill somebody you have to stop running, start using your debuffing skills and then the high burst ones.... oh look, you have just lost your best burst skill!
    have fun.
    Once known as Nix-Zero

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.
    Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

Terrible change.

Building Storm was the only thing that made Eye of the Storm worth taking.

Now 51pt is dead.
    Last edited by Arcanas; 10-11-2011 at 03:28 AM.
    -Cane
    Arcanas - Co-Leader of Purge to Win, Bloodiron Guardian PvPvE Guild.
    Hammerknell 11/11, World #5th Akylios

Champion of Telara

I've kited many to death with just cloudburst thank you. I've also kited people chasing me and killed them with cloudburst/stormshield/ice shear... the main problem I had was I needed a lucky proc on run speed or to use my increase run speed charge consumer to maintain a speed advantage. Now with instant icicle, I can use the charge for more dmg instead. My cloudbursts already hit significantly harder than fireball and can be done on the move.... this is definitely icing on the cake. I'm no marksman that's for sure, but I'm far from being useless doing strafing damage.

I think this change was excellent for PvP.... just that most people are stuck in their old rotations. The only thing this is bad for for PvP were those who were depending on arctic blast/lightning burst combi to burst down enemies... sucks to be you I guess.

Soulwalker

Heh,
    I believe your success at using this on the run spec is due to enemies of inferior gear, or ones that fell asleep :-). Stormcaller is great in a premade with solid heals for aoe disaster....1v1 equal skill/gear=dead meat. My 2cents...play how you want, but you could be much more effective with other builds using a run and gun tactic.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Simpleton1 View Post
    Heh,
    I believe your success at using this on the run spec is due to enemies of inferior gear, or ones that fell asleep :-). Stormcaller is great in a premade with solid heals for aoe disaster....1v1 equal skill/gear=dead meat. My 2cents...play how you want, but you could be much more effective with other builds using a run and gun tactic.
    Not really... I'm not a pure stormcaller.... but I like to be a special snowflake so I didn't say what else I use, although it seriously isn't too hard to guess.... essentially, I got sick of my opponents running away with 1/3 health or less after my opener and all my cast time spells just made it such that I will never kill them since I can't run after them. So I tweaked it a little, lost a bit of burst, but made myself as mobile as I could. It's not comparable to a warlock DoT build in terms of mobility since I still have to stand still to electrify things (raging storm helps a lot coz it roots)... but I've been killing my own rank equivalent (R7) regularly, and the occasional R8 as well. For lowbie ranks, I don't even need an opener.... just go straight out electrify/ice shear/cloudburst spam. I don't see huge numbers like 3-4k, but when my cloudburst is critting for 700-1200 (depending on target's valor), its a pretty decent result. Of course, if a healer latches on to my target, I probably have to give up the kill. It is funny though when warriors close in and I just run circles around them with icy vortex/static barrier/storm guard up.... regularly killing them unless they have a healer on them (exception being 51 RB due to rift walk... and yes, I know, most warriors are 51 RB now, but I at least bring them down to 30-50% before being pummeled). Pre 1.5, I destroyed melee rogues sneaking up on me too.... post 1.5, there's no way I stand a chance unfortunately.
    Last edited by masakari81; 10-12-2011 at 06:39 PM.

+ Reply to Thread