+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PVP Focus-- How much, and how are you getting it?

Shadowlander

Default PVP Focus-- How much, and how are you getting it?

How much focus are you running in pvp? I try to stay above 30-40, on the assumption that focus in Rift works like WoW spell pen i.e. one point of focus negates 1 point of resistance on your target, and there are some common buffs that grant 30-40 resistance in pvp.

I'm particularly interested in how you non-raiders are getting your focus. Assuming access to Eldritch Vanguard/Dragonslayer's Covenant head/leg enchants, better to swap out offhand/wand slot for a T2 dungeon-level pve item (I use Ancient Earthbound Rod off AH), or to use Radiant Sharp Runes (5 sp, 18 focus) on head/legs?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Shadowlander

focus does nothing at all in pvp... so i run with 0

Focus actually does work in PvP since it nullifies enemy spell resistance as well as chance to miss debuffs like Battlefield Awareness if the enemy happens to have a Warlord close by. (theoretical I know)
    Runes are probably the easiest way to go, depending on your rank taking an expert wand may be a stat decrease, you'd have to compare how much you're losing.

Hit is a lot more important since it nullifies enemy dodge and possibly parry, unsure on that front.
    Last edited by Primalthirst; 10-10-2011 at 02:13 PM.
    Nope.

Focus is actually pretty important in PVP. People who think it doesn't work are completely wrong.

Anyway, you need enough focus to mitigate about 6 percent chance to resist. That's about 35 focus, but I've found it hard to run with that number perfectly, so I run with 44. I have a leg, main hand and wand enchants.
    Last edited by GLopez; 10-10-2011 at 02:32 PM.
    Zepol @ Seastone - Mage

Shadowlander

Thanks Lopez. Do you know if mechanically, the 6% is a product of resist auras, or if there is a baseline chance to miss other players?

You will want as much as 120+ focus against a dedicated opponent.
    If you are a defiant warlock, well, time to go /sadpanda. Look at a mathosian opponent:

+20 death resist racial
    +15-60 death resist sigil if you choose to ignore valor, or use your pve dps sigil for pvp. Was kind of not a bad choice in 1.4, though I wouldnt use something like that without warlocks, dominators and cabalists as a major threat.
    +50 from runes, obviously
    +30-45 from raid buff - archon, bard, warlord
    +30 from inquisitor raid buff, likely to have that one in PS or something 15v15
    +30 from planar protection

Which equals to 220 or so resistance on a not so lazy opponent.
    Last edited by Halman; 10-10-2011 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Halman View Post
    You will want as much as 120+ focus against a dedicated opponent.
    If you are a defiant warlock, well, time to go /sadpanda. Look at a mathosian opponent:

+20 death resist racial
    +15-60 death resist sigil if you choose to ignore valor, or use your pve dps sigil for pvp. Was kind of not a bad choice in 1.4, though I wouldnt use something like that without warlocks, dominators and cabalists as a major threat.
    +50 from runes, obviously
    +30-45 from raid buff - archon, bard, warlord
    +30 from inquisitor raid buff, likely to have that one in PS or something 15v15
    +30 from planar protection

Which equals to 220 or so resistance on a not so lazy opponent.
    This is exactly what I'm equal to. I switch to my death resist sigil when I see a well known 5l lock devouring shadow spammer enter the WF, it works great.I lose some valor, but death resist reduces the death damage by around 20%, plus the chance to resist is nice.
    Valery@Zaviel - Mage | Valzz - Cleric | Soulsky - Rogue | Introvert - Warrior
    Everything you need to know for Mage: www.valvalval.net

Shield of Telara

I run with my RoS wand which has 30 focus and haven't ever had much of a problem.

Rift Disciple

Are you sure, i always thought focus/hit/thoughness had no effect at all in PvP.
    Just valor and vengeance?

Hit and focus do count - they negate things like parry dodge resist (block?).
    Valery@Zaviel - Mage | Valzz - Cleric | Soulsky - Rogue | Introvert - Warrior
    Everything you need to know for Mage: www.valvalval.net

Plane Touched

You only need around 30-40 focus for pvp to bring your resist and miss ratio down to a point its not significant. Leg enchant and wand enchant should get you around there, or if you prefer just a raid wand should probably cover you, if you want to free up the leg enchant.

+ Reply to Thread