+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Devouring Shadows nerfed on PTS

Default Devouring Shadows nerfed on PTS

On the PTS, Devouring Shadows has been increased to an eight-second duration but doesn't tick until two seconds in.
    Zepol @ Seastone - Mage

wtf? is this a troll?

Nevermind not a troll. I see they're swiftly making mage absolutely ****ing pointless in this game.

Shadowlander

So stupid should just put a 2 second cooldown on it to stop double tap this is a horrible fix as it significantly lowers already low mage dps.

It's still a 6 second duration. It ticks every 1.5 seconds for a total of 4 ticks, but there's no instant damage anymore.
    <Disturbance> @Vigil
    Had a dream, I was King; I woke up, still King.
    Wizards never die.

Banned

So much for Trion being able to change stuff for PvP only. They seem to be failing at that pretty hard.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Deistik View Post
    It's still a 6 second duration. It ticks every 1.5 seconds for a total of 4 ticks, but there's no instant damage anymore.
    Its not too bad then it eliminates double tap and alows for interupt (which sucks) I wish I could interupt physical damage with normal attacks.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Vindicit View Post
    So much for Trion being able to change stuff for PvP only. They seem to be failing at that pretty hard.
    Actually this change does not overly effect pve (if you didn't abuse double tap)

Quote Originally Posted by Deistik View Post
    Oh, okay. I wish I could edit that into the OP!
    Zepol @ Seastone - Mage

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by GLopez View Post
    Oh, okay. I wish I could edit that into the OP!
    LOL

Not a day goes by that I don't thank the gods I rerolled months ago. Right now mages are almost always my first target because I can implode them in a few GCDs.

DS was like the only pain in the rear LOL.

Ascendant

is there some kind of buff or counter to this? it's a pretty massive nerf on the order of inferno for pyros IMO.

Fik
    Rift Chaser

Good change, sick of seing the mage class only be effective doing this damn crap. Maybe now they can start to look at buffing us accross the board.

Only a few peopel were doing this trick and they did well doing it. The others who haven't figured it out are getting farmed...

Rift Chaser

I would rather them nerf the damage by 50% or something ridiculous then take away the instant tick. Honestly, the only instant damage a Warlock has is DoT's, which everyone knows are terrible, and Draining Bolt / Dark Fury, which both share 30s CD's. So as a Warlock, I'm expected to stand still and cast something like Void Bolt, while a Rogue / Warrior is in my face, constantly interrupting / silencing me while continuing to put out consistent damage.

Most people don't understand that Mages NEED to do more damage in PvP than other classes because Mages are not blessed with a 100% uptime no-thought heal debuff. We are forced to use souls with such high burst potential because it is the only way to burn down a target that is getting healed, and even at R8 it is still incredibly difficult to kill someone that has a Cleric on them constantly.

I agree that Devouring Shadows needed to be changed in some way, but I don't believe throwing a CD on it or delaying the tick is the right way to go about it. I would rather see the damage nerfed, or the synergy between it and Empowered Darkness adjusted. Trion has a tendancy to over-nerf things rather then make subtle changes, and I expect this will be no different.
    Last edited by lmprov; 10-07-2011 at 11:08 PM.
    Saved@Briarcliff
    I play a Mage, just throwing it out there.

I don't see how this is a bad change. Just sounds like DS will be more like Fire Storm now. (Unless my memory is derping here - which is entirely possible - Fire Storm does not tick instantly.)

As for PvE, they can easily rectify any problems there by upping the damage for PvE only.

Quote Originally Posted by lmprov View Post
    So as a Warlock, I'm expected to stand still and cast something like Void Bolt, while a Rogue / Warrior is in my face, constantly interrupting / silencing me while continuing to put out consistent damage.
    I'm guessing the hyperbole here was somewhat intentional, but as a R8 mage, I can definitely say that if I'm being constantly interrupted/silenced, there must be multiple warriors/rogues in mah face and I'm probably going to die, instant-tick Devouring Shadows or not. Plus, DS requires standing still.. which is not kiting. First rule of being a caster: Kite. Second rule of being a caster: Refer to rule #1. Third rule of being a caster: There are exceptions to every rule, but DS spam is not one of them.
    Last edited by Ajax1114; 10-07-2011 at 11:23 PM.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax1114 View Post
    I don't see how this is a bad change. Just sounds like DS will be more like Fire Storm now. (Unless my memory is derping here - which is entirely possible - Fire Storm does not tick instantly.)

As for PvE, they can easily rectify any problems there by upping the damage for PvE only.

I'm guessing the hyperbole here was somewhat intentional, but as a R8 mage, I can definitely say that if I'm being constantly interrupted/silenced, there must be multiple warriors/rogues in mah face and I'm probably going to die, instant-tick Devouring Shadows or not. Plus, DS requires standing still.. which is not kiting. First rule of being a caster: Kite. Second rule of being a caster: Refer to rule #1. Third rule of being a caster: There are exceptions to every rule, but DS spam is not one of them.
    Fire Storm does tick instantly, which is why it was / is double-tapped in a raid environment to increase it's DPS. The only reason you don't see it in PvP is because A) No one plays Pyromancer, and B) it costs 600 mana per cast.

The fact that Devouring Shadows is a channeled ability does not mean you can't use it while kiting. If you know what you're doing you can easily stop for a split second, drop it, and then continue running. You don't have to double-tap Devouring Shadows to make the most of the ability, it is incredibly versatile, and that versatility is based on the first tick of damage.

Not to mention we both know "kiting" in this game is a joke for the most part, especially with all the CC DR. Warriors will teleport to you repeatedly, Marksmans out range you, the new FotM NB / RS Rogues will teleport to you repeatedly. Who exactly are you kiting? 51 Assassins?

As I said before, the ability needed to be adjusted, but this solution is not the right way in my opinion.
    Saved@Briarcliff
    I play a Mage, just throwing it out there.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast