+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Mage petition for a viable build that does not include a pet.

  1. #1
    Plane Touched Magetron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    274

    Default Mage petition for a viable build that does not include a pet.

    I am not exactly sure how you would do it, I've heard a lot of good ideas on how it could be done but none of them come to mind at the moment.

    I know SC and Pyro have a build that you can pretty much "park and forget" but who isn't tired of seeing 5 swirlys floating around in every raid?


    I hate pet classes and I know I'm not the only mage that feels that way.
    Your new world order will lead to none at all.

  2. #2
    General of Telara Eclipze's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magetron View Post
    I am not exactly sure how you would do it, I've heard a lot of good ideas on how it could be done but none of them come to mind at the moment.

    I know SC and Pyro have a build that you can pretty much "park and forget" but who isn't tired of seeing 5 swirlys floating around in every raid?


    I hate pet classes and I know I'm not the only mage that feels that way.
    To accomplish this, they would have to remove tempest and internalize charge from the elementalist soul and add an equivalent to each of the other dps souls OR totally rework the elementalist soul to not be pet based. Either way, it requires some seriously retooling that I doubt is on Kervik's radar.
    Eclipze @ Retired Raider
    Mage Extraodinaire
    PVE <The Grubs> | <Thantos Gallanos Xantos>
    PVP <Terrible Idea>

  3. #3
    Plane Touched Magetron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    274

    Default

    its not that farfetched

    they just pretty much completely overhauled Rogues I wouldn't be surprised if they are doing a overhaul/fix for each calling one by one. It happens.
    Your new world order will lead to none at all.

  4. #4
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    35

    Default

    i prefer a tanking soul or a melee dps soul...

  5. #5
    Champion
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    593

    Default

    Try a cleric. I have a cleric without pets, Inq or Caba, third soul zero points in Sent for heal spells, can't remember the second one.

  6. #6
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eclipze View Post
    To accomplish this, they would have to remove tempest and internalize charge from the elementalist soul and add an equivalent to each of the other dps souls OR totally rework the elementalist soul to not be pet based. Either way, it requires some seriously retooling that I doubt is on Kervik's radar.
    You never know.

    If they were to increase Burning Bright to 1% per point, and get rid of Tempest and Internalize charge, it might be a wash.

    I would love a viable Pyro/Archon build, that is not reliant on a pet.
    Last edited by Brad1959; 10-07-2011 at 02:52 AM.
    I am a lawyer in real life, but I try to roleplay an honorable character ;)

  7. #7
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    255

    Default

    I would prefer they rework the elementalist soul into a melee soul. Remove the pet, but have the same idea of a mage who plays with elemental power from another plane of existence to augment his/her own power. A player that creates magical weapon bonuses and applies stacking debuffs and stacking dots with each hit. Absorbing the power of the elements. Earth would make the mage a semi tank. Wind would make them more dps. Water would give them more healing support.

    Unfortunately, if they do this it will destroy my favorite build currently. My pyro build is my strongest build currently.

  8. #8
    Ascendant Arcanas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Flanking you with a Raid
    Posts
    1,554

    Default

    /sign


    67890
    -Cane
    Arcanas - Co-Leader of Purge to Win, Bloodiron Guardian PvPvE Guild.
    Hammerknell 11/11, World #5th Akylios

  9. #9
    Rift Disciple Trurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    178

    Default

    /sign

    All they'd have to do is add or buff some high point abilities in our non-pet DPS souls (Pyro, Warlock, SC) so they bring the DPS of those souls in line with what you get from adding in Ele or Necro. For example, Ele gives you Intensify Elements, Tempest and the DPS of the pet itself.

    At the most simple they could add a DOT to SC and Pyro that does 100 DPS (to take the place of the elemental) and then add abilities that are identical to Tempest and Intensify Elements as 51 point abilities. For Warlock they could add Soul Drain as a 51 point ability and add a 200 DPS DOT to take the place of the Zealot. This would be kind of boring though, and I hope they would do something a little more creative.

    A couple months back they said they were going to make 51 point builds more viable, but they seem to have forgotten about mage DPS when they did that. I'd be satisfied with even a single 51 point non-pet spec we could use.
    Last edited by Trurl; 10-07-2011 at 07:00 AM.

  10. #10
    Iri
    Iri is offline
    Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    571

    Default

    This will never happen without sweeping changes to either the Elementalist soul or the entire mage calling. Our damage is typed, which means that any viable spec has to have a synergistic effect regarding damage types between main and off souls. That's why almost every viable mage dps spec ever has been some kind of 3x/xx spec... your off soul has to have some kind of typed synergy with your main soul in order to provide adequate support.

    Right now the only functional off or support souls we have for dps are Warlock and Elementalist. Warlock provides untyped damage increases, so it goes with anything, but Elementalist is a better support soul because the bonuses (Tempest) scale better and it has a better cooldown. Therefore, any soul that deals elementally typed damage as a primary dps mechanism will be better served by taking Elementalist as the required support soul. (Witness the triumph of Pyro/Ele over Pyro/Lock.) And Elementalist comes with a pet.

    Souls that don't deal elementally typed damage are chloro, which is not a dps soul, necro, which is a pet class, and warlock... and unfortunately nobody's come up with a viable 51 lock build for PvE dps. So the only dps soul that doesn't deal elementally typed damage, and is therefore not locked into Elementalist, is a pet class.

    Sorry, no getting away from the pets.

  11. #11
    Rift Disciple Trurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iri View Post
    This will never happen without sweeping changes to either the Elementalist soul or the entire mage calling. Our damage is typed, which means that any viable spec has to have a synergistic effect regarding damage types between main and off souls.
    You're wrong on just about every point. Necro and Lock go so well together, not because of damage type synergy, but because Soul Drain is considered damage over time and the Warlock passive bonus applies to it, making it do crazy good damage.

    Elementalist goes so well with Pyro and SC because of Tempest, since Pyro and SC have higher than normal crit chances on the primary spells. Ele is extra good with Pyro because Heat Wave resets the cooldown on Intensify Elements, which has nothing to do with damage type.

    The only real damage type synergy in there is Intensify Elements, which is a good boost to elemental damage, but it is by no means a fundamental piece of Elementalist. They could simply change Intensify Elements to apply to all spell damage, and that would be a "sweeping change" at all.

    On top of all the above, you get the damage that the pet itself does, which adds 100-300 free DPS on top of everything else, which again has nothing to do with damage type either.
    Last edited by Trurl; 10-07-2011 at 09:10 AM.

  12. #12
    Ascendant Inixia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,365

    Default

    it would be hard to design a non pet dps class, one of the issues I think with pet dps is that the pets are too much of a passive contribution- basically you go into a tree, get it, summon it, and it adds consistent dps without having to interact with it (that is very high relative to most other ability dps per cast). One of the ways in the future you might be able to bypass this is by having pet classes actively have to work through their pets more instead. Either way, I'm not too concerned, the pets aren't too bad to keep control of in the current dps specs.
    Last edited by Inixia; 10-07-2011 at 09:34 AM.

  13. #13
    RIFT Guide Writer DaddyDaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    516

    Default

    every time one of these no pet threads pop up, i always respond with:
    http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...bs-ab-win.html

    we went old school and burned through RoS. i did top dps on alsbeth with sc/dom. there is no full time pet in that build. the other fights i ran a pet class, just not alsbeth.
    Experience is the best teacher.. if you can afford the tuition.

  14. #14
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    285

    Default

    pets for pve
    no pets for pvp
    that is the rift mage formula for the most part.

  15. #15
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trurl View Post
    /sign

    All they'd have to do is add or buff some high point abilities in our non-pet DPS souls (Pyro, Warlock, SC) so they bring the DPS of those souls in line with what you get from adding in Ele or Necro. For example, Ele gives you Intensify Elements, Tempest and the DPS of the pet itself.

    At the most simple they could add a DOT to SC and Pyro that does 100 DPS (to take the place of the elemental) and then add abilities that are identical to Tempest and Intensify Elements as 51 point abilities. For Warlock they could add Soul Drain as a 51 point ability and add a 200 DPS DOT to take the place of the Zealot. This would be kind of boring though, and I hope they would do something a little more creative.

    A couple months back they said they were going to make 51 point builds more viable, but they seem to have forgotten about mage DPS when they did that. I'd be satisfied with even a single 51 point non-pet spec we could use.
    This.

    It wouldn't take a sweeping revamp as some are saying. All it would take is for them to make 51 point Pyro, SC, or Lock builds viable with some changes to the high tier abilities. They could do it without touching any other trees.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts