+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Building Storms changes inc ?

Default Building Storms changes inc ?

Kervik wanted the chat kept out of the bugs thread so here it is:

Quote Originally Posted by Kervik View Post
    Also included in the PTS update will be the first pass on changes to Stormcaller. These largely center around the replacement of Building Storm.
    i've got to say, i'm not ok with changing this if it's meant to make it easier to play. pyro is already a one button mash fest. this may be just me, but i enjoy the mage class due to having to actually work to see numbers. SC/ELE may due good numbers, but you're working for those numbers every second.

i may have missed an earlier thread, but i don't know what "replacement" Trion has planned. removal?
    Experience is the best teacher.. if you can afford the tuition.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDaz View Post
    Kervik wanted the chat kept out of the bugs thread so here it is:

i've got to say, i'm not ok with changing this if it's meant to make it easier to play. pyro is already a one button mash fest. this may be just me, but i enjoy the mage class due to having to actually work to see numbers. SC/ELE may due good numbers, but you're working for those numbers every second.

i may have missed an earlier thread, but i don't know what "replacement" Trion has planned. removal?
    Lets speculate. As it stands Building Storm increases the next Hypothermia causing spell's chance to crit by 20% per stack and the damage on that crit is increased by 100%. One thing they may be thinking is to make Building Storm a passive ability in the 30+ range with talents that enhance it. It would function much like electrified stacks function, such as every non-hypothermia causing air/water spell will add a stack. Each stack (Max 3) increases the chance to crit by 20% and at 3 stacks, increases crit damage by 100%.

What this does is basically takes the toggling out of the BS/AB/HS rotation, save for Static Flux. It also removes the stagnant charge aspect and would allow icicle to be used as filler more often.

Or, they maybe going a more drastic route?
    Last edited by Eclipze; 10-06-2011 at 09:57 AM.
    Eclipze @ Retired Raider
    Mage Extraodinaire
    PVE <The Grubs> | <Thantos Gallanos Xantos>
    PVP <Terrible Idea>

I hope they don't remove building storm for the sake of ease. One of the things I love about the stormcaller rotation is how much depth its rotation has, I love having all the cds and buffs fit together just* right when you can pull it off. I've got to shoutout to whoever the mage rotation designer is for this and necrolock(for dot awareness)! These sorts of rotations are one of the things I love about developing mage dps (whether or not you think it needs a magnitude boost at high levels to match other callings)
    Last edited by Inixia; 10-06-2011 at 10:08 AM.

Champion of Telara

While I understand some people enjoy the complicated rotation, I think it is unfair that Warriors and Rogues can pump out more dps with simple 2 button rotations.

If they keep the complication of SC/EL, they need to increase the dps to be more than Warriors and Rogues. If Mage dps is the same (or less) than Warriors and Rogues, then the complication should be the same as well.
    Last edited by Brad1959; 10-06-2011 at 10:16 AM.
    I am a lawyer in real life, but I try to roleplay an honorable character ;)

Rift Disciple

I think the removal of building storm will be great as long as its not replaced by yet another toggle.

I like complexity in rotation, but now when im also having to fight with the 17 different keybinds to make it go. Past a certain point, its not the rotation thats getting harder conceptually just your ability to time out 3 different button presses inside the GCD.

Prophet of Telara

I never liked building storm. We have enough stuff to watch for between hyporthermia, electrified & ice shear.

XiL

Unless they change it to give us stacks of the same or similar buff every time we cast non-Hypo skill this will ruin SC/Elem for raiding.

NecroLock is about to get nerfed into the ground, they will most certainly screw up the Building Storm "fix" resulting in SC/Ele no longer being viable on raids at all and this will force all mage into Chloro or archon roles.

No one at Trion who has any power to inact positive change for mage actually plays mage so there is absolutely no hope that the changes to Warlock and Stormcaller will be functional regardless of how much feedback they get from PTS.

They don't listen, they don't know the mechanics being used, and they don't care to change their position on anything once they have invested man hours and money into something.

When they screw over NecroLock and SC/Ele thousands of players will unsub and accept their beta invites to new games.

/thread
    /forum
    /Rift
    Last edited by XiL; 10-06-2011 at 10:36 AM.
    I was banned for 5 days for triggering the chat filter. I win the internet again.

http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=617285&dateline=13177  10094

How is Necrolock about to be nerfed to the ground?
    Zepol @ Seastone - Mage

Quote Originally Posted by GLopez View Post
    It'll only be useful for murdantix and sicaron.
    Eclipze @ Retired Raider
    Mage Extraodinaire
    PVE <The Grubs> | <Thantos Gallanos Xantos>
    PVP <Terrible Idea>

Quote Originally Posted by GLopez View Post
    People are speculating that it is going to be nerfed so you can no longer double tap Devouring Shadows in order to double it's DPS at the cost of using about 4x the mana. Nobody but Trion knows what changes they are planning for it, nor whether those changes will ever make it to live. All we know is they are making changes to Devouring Shadows and they will be on the PTS "soon". Everything else is just guesswork.

Who knows, maybe they'll just make Devouring Shadows cost a lot more mana, so double tapping for any length of time won't be practical. It does seem like Devouring Shadows uses very little mana.
    Last edited by Trurl; 10-06-2011 at 12:26 PM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Brad1959 View Post
    While I understand some people enjoy the complicated rotation, I think it is unfair that Warriors and Rogues can pump out more dps with simple 2 button rotations.

If they keep the complication of SC/EL, they need to increase the dps to be more than Warriors and Rogues. If Mage dps is the same (or less) than Warriors and Rogues, then the complication should be the same as well.
    No no...be happy that us mages aren't mindless meat heads that mash 1 and 2

Iri
    Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Tolvat View Post
    No no...be happy that us mages aren't mindless meat heads that mash 1 and 2
    This. One of the things I really enjoy about mage dps right now is that you can put up very respectable numbers in any situation with the right spec, and that while there is a boring 2-button (well, 4, but same difference) spec, there is also a DoT spec and a ridiculously amazing and awesome spec that both requires and rewards real skill and practice. I'm really hoping Trion doesn't throw this away.

And yes, that includes me hoping that they don't change Building Storm to a passive or something... Charge management is a huge part of the current rotation, and I truly hope that this aspect isn't dumped in order to make an "easier" rotation. There's already a spec for that.

Rift Master

Nooooooo current Building Storm is incredible for PvP, don't change ;(

If the Building Storm changes involve the same crit damage increases to hypothermia causing spells and eliminate the toggling; that will be the best thing they ever do for mages. (Not that it really is crucial to pull off a BS rotation).

Based on the track record of mages, im guessing some sort of nerf. Which is dissapointing...especially if you nerf the damage from the hardest dps rotation in Rift...which can still be out dpsed by equally geared button mashers.

I think they finally got building storm right with 1.5. Now they're going to basically delete it? WHAT IS TRION THINKING?!

This is probably the hardest hitting spec because it has the burst of pyro but its sustained dps is closer to the burst damage you get with CDs than pyro is.

I have never contemplated leaving this game but this soul, stormcaller, is the one reason I LOVE to play mage and now they are about to totally screw it over?

God trion I HATE YOU!

and yes I'm nerd raging get over it!

FT 4/4(Conq) EE 5/5(Conq)ToDQ 4/4(Conq) HM 4/4 IDH 4/4 GA 4/4 IG 3/3 PB 1/5

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast