+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By OniGanon

Thread: OniGanon's Guide to Getting out of Green Gear (for Guardians)

Telaran

Default OniGanon's Guide to Getting out of Green Gear (for Guardians)

So you've just hit Level 50. Congratulations! Time to get right into it and solo-queue a random T2 as a Healer... But wait! You're still in crappy greens and blues with no Focus, a partially filled 4 slot Sigil and maybe 500 spellpower? Hold your Tartagons! You're not ready just yet. Not to worry, though. That's what I'm here for- to help you get ready.

Welcome to OniGanon's Guide to Getting out of Green Gear (for Guardians).

This guide is to help new Level 50 Guardian Magi get into Tier 1 and Tier 2 content without being dead-weight due to gear. Much of it will likely also apply to Defiants, with some minor name changes and such. A fair chunk of it was also ripped from Bluedot's guide "How to Gear for Experts."

The first thing you should do is make sure you have a Role that can solo Elites and quickly aoe trash mobs down, while also having some ability to heal yourself. Chlorolock, Necrolock, Chloromentalist and just plain Chloromancer are some examples of builds that will get the job done. Look around the forums for more detail on such builds if you need it, as that kind of thing is outside the scope of this guide. With a decent soloing spec sorted, it's time for the Chronicle of Attunement.

Chronicles
    1.5 has introduced Chronicles- instances designed for one to two people, particularly brand new Lv50s. These Chronicles yield a few platinum, decent XP, some blue gear that should prove useful for the brand new 50, possibly some costume pieces and a mount, and a few Plaques of Achievement which are used to buy T1 and T2 gear. Of particular interest to the new 50 is the Chronicle of Attunement. It's designed for one player, and unlocks Planar Attunement- RIFT's alternative advancement system. This is why it's is among the first things a 50 should do- so all the XP you earn still goes toward something. In addition, it gives missions at the end that will teach you a number of things a lv50 needs to know about. Doing some Chronicles each day isn't a bad way to spend your time even when you're well into T2, just for the Plaques and platinum.

Planar Focus
    Your next top priority is to get yourself a 6 slot sigil, if you haven't already got one. The Sigil of the Five is available from the planar vendor in Sanctum's main building, for 7500 Planarite. If you haven't got that much, you've got some Rift and Invasion chasing ahead of you. Even if you do have enough, chasing those is a pretty good idea anyway. Alternatively, Friendly Notoriety with the Order of the Eye allows the option of buying a Battlemaster's Sigil, which is exactly the same as the Sigil of the Five but with 50 Valor on it.

Rifts and Invasions
    Whichever way you go with your Sigil, you'll still need to get in on rifts and invasion zone events in Iron Pine Peak, Shimmersand and Stillmoor. Aside from possibly dropping useful gear, these give you Planarite and Inscribed Sourcestone, which you'll be using to purchase Lesser Planar Essences to fill your Sigil. You can also purchase gear with this currency, but it's very expensive and delays your Essence purchasing. Once you get your gear up a bit (150+ Focus), get in on the daily Raid Rift and Expert Rift groups as well for a chance at better gear and yet more Inscribed.

PVP
    Wait, don't run away! PVP is perhaps the quickest way of getting into usable gear short of having some handed to you. The P1 Belt is quite good and very, very cheap. Buying it allows you to use your Plaques of Achievement on other stuff, like shoes and gloves. Buying the rest of the PVP gear available and slogging it to Prestige Rank 2 isn't too hard, and will net you a decent robe and pants so that, again, you can use Plaques on your other slots and get them to the T2 versions. Even if PVP is not your thing, it's worth considering just getting to P2. Moreover, The Order of the Eye has some really nice stuff and you need Favor to buy it. If PVP actually IS your thing, that's great because it continues to be a very good source of belts, pants, shoulders and robes as you advance, because these slots don't have Focus and therefore it doesn't matter if you use them in PVE. If you go this route, note that the PVP Cleric necklaces have more total Spellpower than the Mage ones. If you do go into Warfronts, your damage is going to be non-existent at this stage, and thus so is your healing, so a Dominator-heavy build will probably have the most impact on the battle if you don't want to feel like a total leech.

Notoriety
    As mentioned, The Order of the Eye has some really nice stuff (specifically, the Eye of the Tiger trinket and the shoe rune) and you'll want to get in the habit of doing their daily quests (which don't involve any PVP necessarily) until you're at least Honored with them. Participating in PVP rifts makes it go a lot faster. They're not the only ones you want to be in good graces with, though. The Arcane Hand in the Droughtlands offers the Arcane Hand Icon trinket, which is not much but it's better than the nothingness you probably have at the moment. The Order of Mathos offer a useful ring at Decorated

Crafting and Buying
    It can be pretty handy to be or befriend an Artificer and Outfitter, as the former fills all out weapon and accessory slots and the latter fills the armour, but failing that there's still the Auction House. Sagebrush Wand, Shadethorn Spellstaff, Platinum Necklace, Band of Spells and Robes of the Flowing Dark are all good, cheap starter items. Some of them can serve well into T2. Generally you're looking for Clever or Cunning prefix, though if you're crafting them yourself, using a purple augment on these starter items is a bit wasteful. Try to have all crafted gear augmented if you can. And remember to stick runes in everything that have runes stuck into them, even if they're cheap, crappy runes. But make them Int or Spellpower runes. Do not use Focus runes (except Radiant Sharp Runes, which also have Spellpower on them). If you can't hit the T2 or T3 focus cap without using runes for it, you're not truly ready for that tier!

Water Saga
    The Water Saga epic quest line begins with Cardinal Visc in the main building of Sanctum (first room up the stairs to the right) after completing Abyssal Precipice (normal or expert). It gets you a pretty good helm (T2 equivalent), very nice shoulders (T3ish) and a Crocnard mount. Be sure to choose the Spellpower-heavy versions of the items. The Solace Cabal requires a group. Token of the Fae takes place in Expert Realm of the Fae (T1), though you only need do the first boss. Bound in Death is in Expert Runic Descent (T2). If you're in a random group for these, be sure to let the pug group know you're on the Epic Quest, as a courtesy. Fly on the Wall says you need 2 people, but really as long as you have a shield like Ice Shield or Living Shell, or an aoe stun/Fear, you'll be fine on your own. The Influence of Lyrr is the final part of the quest and requires a group.

Starter Gear By Slot

Sigil
    -Sigil of the Five for 7500 planarite
    -OR hold out and get Battlemaster's Sigil ASAP from The Order of the Eye for 27000 Favor

Essences
    Usually, a Mage just slots 6 Lesser Essences dropped from Raid Rifts or bought from the Planar Vendors in Sanctum, most preferably these: Pyro Spark, Mystic River, Dark Rites, Last Rites, Living River, Living Hunt. Greater Essences are for the most part a waste of time, except for the following:
    -Necrotic Rage (Guardian only, reward for IPP Marshal Kain quest line) causes you to look like an ugly skeleton pet and have to click off buff to mount up, but if that doesn't worry you, it's best in slot
    -Crystal Vine, available from Rare Planar Vendor in Warden's Descent, Stillmoor. Useful if you spend most of your time healing.
    -Frozen Deep One Tear from Rare Planar Vendor in Whitefall, Iron Pine Peak. Again, useful if you mostly heal.
    -Hailstone Tideshard, from water Raid Rifts in IPP, big brother to FDOT. Replaces one of the above if you mostly heal.

Weapon
    Probably best to just buy or craft a staff and save your alternative currencies for other things.
    -Shadethorn Spellstaff, bought from AH or crafted with the following: 4 Endless Planar Dust, Smooth Lightstone, 4 Shadethorn Lumber, Superior Polishing Agent
    -Spellstaff of Raging Lightning, better but more expensive than the above to make or buy: 4 Polished Shadethorn Lumber, Smooth Lightstone, Major Flux, 2 Minor Catalyst, 4 Eternal Planar Dust
    -Channeller's Staff, Holy Relics (T1) Vendor for 19 Plaques of Achievement.

Wand
    I know I said I'd get you out of greens, but... unfortunately there's no good, cheap purchasable wand with Focus as far as I know except Sagebrush Wand. There are some BoE wands dropped from dungeons, which you might find on the AH. They'll probably cost a bit though.
    -Sagebrush Wand, purchase or crafted: 3 Sagebrush Lumber, 2 Heavy Lacquer
    -BoE Dungeon Drops on AH, eg: Ancient Earthbound Rod, Slime-touched Wand

Necklace
    -Platinum Necklace, bought or crafted: 2 Endless Planar Dust, 2 Platinum Bar, 2 Sparkling Powder, Superior Polishing Agent
    -Drake Tooth Choker from Dragonslayer Quartermaster in Wyrmbane Spire, Shimmersand

Trinket
    -Arcane Hand Icon from Arcane Hand Quartermaster in Lantern Hook, Droughtlands. Decorated rep required.
    -Eye of the Tiger from Order of the Eye Quartermaster, Sanctum. Decorated rep required.

Rings
    -Band of Spells, bought or crafted: 2 Cinerium Bar, 1 Shimmering Core, 2 Brightshale, 2 Eternal Planar Dust, 1 Superior Polishing Agent. Recpie bought from Dragonslayer Quartermaster, Wyrmbade Spire, Shimmersand. Honored rep required.
    -Silver Order of Mathos Signet from Order of Mathos Quartermaster, Zareph's Return, Stillmoor. Decorated rep required. Not as good as above.

Helm
    Don't waste currencies. Just put up with whatever you get until you get this part of the Water Saga done.
    -Visage of the Deep (spellpower version), Water Saga Epic Quest

Shoulders
    Either get the PVP shoulders or put up with whatever you get until you finish the Water Saga.
    -Diviner's Shoulderpads, PVP Prestige Rank 2
    -Pauldrons of the Soothing Storm, Water Saga Epic Quest

Robe
    -Robes of the Flowing Dark, bought or crafted: 3 Bolt of Spiritweave, Imbued Leather, Minor Catalyst, 2 Eternal Planar Dust, Shimmering Powder
    -Diviner's Robes, PVP Prestige Rank 2

Glove
    One of the higher priorities for your Plaques of Achievement is to get the Thaumaturge Gloves for a boost in Focus.
    -Occultist's Gloves, Holy Relics (T1)
    -Thaumaturge's Gloves, Elder Relic Merchant (T2)

Belt
    Honestly, a handful of Warfronts gets you the PVP belt. Just do it. It will last you fine until you have nothing better to spend Plaques on but the belts.
    -Diviner's Belt, PVP Prestige Rank 1
    -Thaumaturge's Belt, Elder Relic Merchant (T2)

Pants
    -Diviner's Pantaloons, PVP Prestige Rank 2
    -Alsbeth's Legwraps, Herald of Discord, Raid Quest Reward, Stillmoor
    -Occultist's Leggings, Holy Relics (T1)

Boots
    The T1 boots are actually better than the T2 boots, so they can last you until you're in T3 or whenever you get a better drop.
    -Occultist's Boots, Holy Relics (T1)

So! In short:
    -Do Chronicles
    -Do Rifts and Invasions to buy and/or fill your Sigil
    -Do Order of the Eye dailies
    -Work on the Water Saga Epic Quest
    -Buy Boots and Gloves with Plaques
    -Buy, craft, work on faction rep or PVP to fill the remaining gear slots
    -Stick Runes in everything that Runes can be stuck in
    -Do Random T1s when you have the Plaque bonus

Keep doing all of the above until you have over 100 Focus (should be dead easy) and something like 800 spellpower, and then you're ready for Tier 2. And that about wraps it up. I hope this proves of some use to the freshly minted 50s among us, and that I might never again see green geared Mage in a T2 dungeon.

1. Buy craftables, especially the Tormentor's Gear
    2. Do about 10 T2s
    3. Farm GSB/ROS for a month
    4. Enter Hammerknell
    5. Profit

Why are you not advocating the craftable gear? It's incredibly good and you should have the money by the time you hit 50.
    Also you should replace Crystal Vine with Hailstone Tideshard, not FDOT.
    Last edited by Primalthirst; 10-05-2011 at 02:07 AM.
    Nope.

hit 50 -> grind to P8, get a few craftables then enchant your gear for focus -> enter HK

takes one month if you gun it.
    JD - Formerly Archivist
    ||P8 Mage||11/11 HK||
    Breaking Bads @ Seastone
    Recruiting 1 Warrior or Rogue Tank - Apply on the Website!!

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    Why are you not advocating the craftable gear? It's incredibly good and you should have the money by the time you hit 50.
    By all means if you can afford Tormentor straight off the bat, go for it.

On my shard it's about 100-200pp for a piece of Tormentor gear, though. And I'm operating on the assumption that a brand new lv50 has maybe only 100ish plat if they haven't already blown it on an epic mount or 5th Role.

Thanks for the post.. I expect to hit 50 in the next couple of days and I was curious about the gear and the best ways to start out getting it.

METHES GUARDIAN|MAGE|FAEBLIGHT
    MEETHOS DEFIANT|CLERIC|FAEBLIGHT

Soulwalker

Bump because this is incredible useful and i can't believe it was very hard to find.

Ascendant

do cairns/puzzles
    get epic gear
    Killianx<Addiction> - Gnarlwood
    Formerly Killianx/Boosted of <Voodoo>
    Back after a Hiatus
    My TwitchTV

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealKillian View Post
    do cairns/puzzles
    get epic gear
    yes, horribly itemized epic gear that isnt good for much else but breaking or selling to ***** with more brains than sense.

even if you dont go for the tormentors set you can easily and cheaply craft many pieces of gear that will last you awhile. such as the darkcloth leggings. bound flame rings, effervescent wand, luminous crook, etc. its pretty easy to ding into 800 sp and 200 focus with decent crafted gear and runes.
    "I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won."

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    On my server Tormentor's gear is typically 150 per item, if that's the sort of cash YOU had at 50, congratulations, it certainly isn't what I have,

Telaran

I really hate this forum's editing restrictions. Looking back on this I can see so many typos, formatting errors... hell, one section is missing half the text I'd written for it. And I can't fix any of it.

Glad this has been of some help to a few people, and thankyou all for the feedback and suggestions so far. I'll probably repost a better edited version when 1.6 goes up. Until then, if any of you have more suggestions on easily obtained starter 50 gear (preferably vendor, quest or crafted stuff so no reliance on luck), I'd love to hear them.
    OniGanon's Guide to Getting out of Green Gear (for Guardians)
    Are you a fresh 50 Mage or close to it? Click the link and help me help you help us all.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by livnthedream View Post
    yes, horribly itemized epic gear that isnt good for much else but breaking or selling to ***** with more brains than sense.

even if you dont go for the tormentors set you can easily and cheaply craft many pieces of gear that will last you awhile. such as the darkcloth leggings. bound flame rings, effervescent wand, luminous crook, etc. its pretty easy to ding into 800 sp and 200 focus with decent crafted gear and runes.
    lol this thread is just about getting out of greens, not getting good gear
    Killianx<Addiction> - Gnarlwood
    Formerly Killianx/Boosted of <Voodoo>
    Back after a Hiatus
    My TwitchTV

+ Reply to Thread