+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Any other fellow masochists?

Default Any other fellow masochists?

Any other fellow masochists?-masochist.jpg

Here for awhile now lets hope it gets better!~

Why are you Americans so easily fooled by capitalistic corporate pranks?

RIFT Community Ambassador bluedot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChinesePanda View Post
    You save roughly $70 by buying a years worth. You only have to play for 7 months out of the 12 purchased to break even on the investment. Sure it is a gamble, but it's not a bad gamble.

Also they give you a suite of armor. How is that not worth it!?
    Last edited by bluedot; 10-04-2011 at 06:20 PM.

We like shiny things.
    Xail - R41 Mage
    Guardian
    <We Are Legend>

Plane Touched

It's well worth doing if you have the money and dont see yourself quitting anytime soon. Though you're essentially telling Trion you don't mind if they open a cash shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Lepple View Post
    Though you're essentially telling Trion you don't mind if they open a cash shop.
    As long as they don't sell power there's no balance impact and the it only brings in more money which pushes more content. Win/Win. And none of that "slippery slope" business either; the only market evidence points to that -not- being the case. I ate a hamburger this week and something tells me it isn't a gateway drug to consuming a whole cow.

While a long term subscription could save me$70, so could unsubscribing periodically. With how fair-weather I am about games, that's probably going to save me more in the long run. Still, I'd love the armor.
    There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die at the end of your blade.

Why are you a pompous prick?

PS I'm not American and I did this too. I am also fully in favor of a cash shop as long as it is NOT pay to win.

cosmetic only
    Last edited by Magetron; 10-05-2011 at 03:32 AM.
    Your new world order will lead to none at all.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by exLupo View Post
    As long as they don't sell power there's no balance impact and the it only brings in more money which pushes more content. Win/Win. And none of that "slippery slope" business either; the only market evidence points to that -not- being the case. I ate a hamburger this week and something tells me it isn't a gateway drug to consuming a whole cow.

While a long term subscription could save me$70, so could unsubscribing periodically. With how fair-weather I am about games, that's probably going to save me more in the long run. Still, I'd love the armor.
    The thing is, they're already selling XP vials. It might not be much at the moment, but they are selling power.

It's why we lost WWII, the race to the moon, and the Cold War.

<Amazonia> Leader - Sunrest Server
    It's only a game ... until you get a piece of Asph.

Ascendant

Yeah it's a good investment. I just never know when I'm going to be fed up and quit usually.

If they had put the mounts for 18 months though I would probably have been a total sucker.

I payed for a year also. Yes it's a gamble.

I don't feel like I HAVE to play though. If it was month to month I'd feel I had to log in to get my moneys worth (even if it is only .52$ a day.. or whatever it breaks down to).

I still enjoy the game, and see good things. Out of the upcoming next wave only one may grab my interest (and it's NOT Star Wars). So we'll see how that goes.

It may be a gimmick, but so what. I have some spare cash, who cares how I spend it?

Yup, I got my 18 month rewards yesterday. The wife can't wait for hers to hit in a couple days.

Love the rewards for all my characters. Bought a complete set of Sanctuary armor for my warrior, and love the fact that I can play for a year for what basically amounts to paying for 7 months in a month to month situation.
    Retired from the forum community 12/19/2017

RIFT Community Ambassador bluedot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lepple View Post
    The thing is, they're already selling XP vials. It might not be much at the moment, but they are selling power.
    You are paying less money to get the XP Vials sooner. Everyone in the game is getting the same amount of XP Vials, someone with more money will not get more XP vials. Someone who spends less money on the game will get their vials sooner.
    It is quite a bit different then a cash shop.

Cash Shops are a great business model if they are done well, but I don't think that is what Trion's plan is. Since going free to play is typically a sign that the game is failing.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by bluedot View Post
    You are paying less money to get the XP Vials sooner. Everyone in the game is getting the same amount of XP Vials, someone with more money will not get more XP vials. Someone who spends less money on the game will get their vials sooner.
    It is quite a bit different then a cash shop.

Cash Shops are a great business model if they are done well, but I don't think that is what Trion's plan is. Since going free to play is typically a sign that the game is failing.
    You're making the assumption that people are never going to quit though, Trion obviously think people are going to quit and are incentivising us to extend our subs, so if we do quit they already have our money.
    Currently it takes 2 years for someone to get all the XP vials if they're on a monthly subscription, someone on an annual one will get them a whole year before the other person.
    So yes, after 2 years the person with the monthly subscription will be on equal grounds, and thats only if they dont release any more veteran rewards.

The planar attunement XP is a minor issue, the real problem is new players and when leveling up double XP is a big deal. If the veteran rewards were in place from the beginning, I certainly would never have bought Rift.

Telaran

Pure product of consumer culture.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast