+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bluejaye

Thread: Support guide?

Soulwalker

Default Support guide?

My mage is lvl 31 and want to be able to queue up dungeons as support but not sure what build would be best..

I'm looking for a guide on where to put the points from lvl 30 to 50...

thank you

There is no such thing as a support role in group content. It is not needed anywhere unless your healer kind of sucks, or you have a mage tanking.
    If you want to queue as support in the group search, make any chloro build and it will fit as a 'support'.

Sadly true. In theory, there are three things that are considered baseline for a support class, which are buffs, healing and damage.

Healing is almost never required, if your healer roughly knows what he's doing he will be fine.
    Buffs in general require you to spec far into Archon, which is an acceptable support build for 5 mans, but generally your buffs do not make up for the damage loss you incur from speccing deep Archon (ST dps of a 51 Archon isn't that gruesome, but still behind other dps builds - the lack of aoe damage is what hurts most).
    Considering the previous points, it is general practice for the supporter to run a full dps spec in 5 man content.

While leveling however it can happen that either tank or healer are really bad and you need to help out the healing, in which case it wouldn't hurt to have a Chloromancer build on hand you can switch to.

I have a seperate role that is just for chlorolock for when I am in warfronts. I did a search and found this guide someone wrote talking about the Chlorolock and the leveling progression. Give it a look over it might give you some ideas.

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...ing-guide.html

Sword of Telara

I think the first 2 posters have been 50 for far to long and haven't run normal dungeons, because you'll often need to support heal and it has nothing to do with the tank or main healer sucking, but rather a factor of gear and abilities at that level.

I wasn't sure if by guide you meant a support-build guide, or a general guide for leveling. The following is Bluedot's leveling guide that you may find useful:

http://bluedots.org/2011/04/30/mage-leveling-specs/

If you want to get a feel for the support role, try an Archon/Chloro build like this one:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1zzRI.GMcsRbVzz.VdIzo

And here's a friendly macro:

#show Volcanic Bomb
    supressmacrofailures
    cast Volcanic Bomb
    cast Earthen Barrage
    cast Leeching Flames
    cast Pillaging Stone

Basically, cast LGV or Synthesis (depending on what class is main healing) and keep your Archon buffs up every five minutes. Spam the above macro as your main dmg and occasionally throw in a Rock Slide and some Searing Vitality to help recover some of the stats you lose when buffing. Be ready with Nature's Touch, Ruin and Vile Spores if heals are needed.

Soulwalker

Thank you everyone!!

+ Reply to Thread