+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pet scaling.. or.. Why does my "tank" pet have less HP than me?

Default Pet scaling.. or.. Why does my "tank" pet have less HP than me?

I barely ever use the elementalist tank pet and either solo as chlorolock or chlorodom. Today 2 friends and me ran into the situation where we could have needed an extra tank and I thought "tadaa!" and got out the good old tank pet of my standard 35/31 pyro spec just to see.. and noticed I had much more HP as pyro than my tank pet..
    That made me wonder,.. shouldn't tank pets scale a bit better with gear?!

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/5...c30310a870.jpg

PS for this screenshot though, I "cheated" a bit and used an usual spec
    Last edited by Ramea; 10-03-2011 at 05:23 PM.

GSB 5/5, RoS 5/5, DH 4/4, GP 4/4, RotP 4/4, HK 11/11, 5/8 ID (HM, no-reflect Rusila). Recruitment is open. We are especially interested in a highly skilled mage!
    http://shoreline-guild.com

Plane Touched

I think a better question is, why is the 51pt root absolutely horrid.
    Argizeos - Rank 52 - Wolfsbane

RIP Chlorolock

Pets scale abysmally, it's a well known fact.
    Something really needs to be done about it.
    Nope.

XiL

This is consistently ignored because the souls were all balanced around the mistaken idea that people would roleplay 51 point souls as apposed to using what did the most damage or healing.

Their are already thousands of rage posts about mage needing pets to be viable DPS just because they happen to syn well with a nuke soul. Imagine if a competitive 51 point pet soul was unleashed. The forums would be under DoS attack from actual users try to rant about how pets ruin their experience as a mage.

Really though where is my competitive 51 point Necro?
    I was banned for 5 days for triggering the chat filter. I win the internet again.

http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=617285&dateline=13177  10094

I find tank pets in general poorly implemented. Tried them while leveling both a rogue and a mage, while they seem to do ok for single target tanking, they are of no use aoe tanking and even in single target combat petless specs usually fare better. E.g. I tried doing the new chronicles with a ele/chloro and a chloro/lock spec and the latter was so much more efficient, I can take on two groups through sheer selfhealing while a pet fails miserably at tanking even my healing threat.

So all the way up to 50, whenever I tried using a tank pet it was pretty disappointing.

Maybe trion is afraid that will force everyone to go to pet specs for soloing because then you would effectively have like double the hp of a person with no pet.

Make a self-buff for the elementalist with the effects of Loner from WAR. Say, increases your damage output by 50% if you dont have a pet active. And make that a 51 point ability, right!

Shadowlander

The thing is that if you spec for a decent pet then you gimp your own damage as a result. I have a solo build that is pyro/elem and I took maxed out the pet stats and the healing. When my elem tanks, if can tank 4 mathos elites with no issues. A few ticks of healing thrown in between spells and you are golden. I get around 1200 point of health per tick and if you pull aggro from healing you use the good old "ctrl 1" to make your pet attack them and they get aggro back very quick.

I have even tanked expert RD with my elem pet, it can be done but you cant just put your pet out there and expect it to pull aggro and hold it on every mob for you, you *gasp* have to PLAY your pet and toon to do it right. Regular tanks dont just run in and hold aggro, they have to work to keep it. you are basically playing two toons when you have your pet out to tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatsack View Post
    The thing is that if you spec for a decent pet then you gimp your own damage as a result. I have a solo build that is pyro/elem and I took maxed out the pet stats and the healing. When my elem tanks, if can tank 4 mathos elites with no issues. A few ticks of healing thrown in between spells and you are golden. I get around 1200 point of health per tick and if you pull aggro from healing you use the good old "ctrl 1" to make your pet attack them and they get aggro back very quick.

I have even tanked expert RD with my elem pet, it can be done but you cant just put your pet out there and expect it to pull aggro and hold it on every mob for you, you *gasp* have to PLAY your pet and toon to do it right. Regular tanks dont just run in and hold aggro, they have to work to keep it. you are basically playing two toons when you have your pet out to tank.
    You can solo 4+ Mathos Elites without a pet, it's called Chlorolock.
    Regular tanks actually do just run in and hold aggro, 1pt Spotters + BA is mind numbingly simple.
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    You can solo 4+ Mathos Elites without a pet, it's called Chlorolock.
    Which is what I was trying to say, too. Not much reason to manage your pet when Chlorolock is so much simpler, you just nuke out life damage and that's it.

might as well get rid of the "tank" pet then

GSB 5/5, RoS 5/5, DH 4/4, GP 4/4, RotP 4/4, HK 11/11, 5/8 ID (HM, no-reflect Rusila). Recruitment is open. We are especially interested in a highly skilled mage!
    http://shoreline-guild.com

Telaran

I am maybe not the best player, and I certainly dont have the best gear, but I can barely solo one elite as a Chlorolock, let alone 4..... I can solo an elite with my tank pet tho..... so leave him alone!

I love you Stoney!
    Last edited by Saviour123; 10-05-2011 at 05:06 AM.

Default I love Brickhouse!

The only thing I dislike about my Elemental/Chloro tank pet is his questionable use of the AoE aggro ability. I have to order him to chase down the mob or two that ignores him and goes after me. After that, I burn them into ash.

I like having a tank pet when I'm soloing, but I also have never tried the Chlorolock build. But that's what is so sweet about this game - we can play the same "class" in radically different ways.

Champion of Telara

They need to do something to make the Necro tank pet worthwhile. Right now, it is horrid.
    Last edited by Brad1959; 10-05-2011 at 11:34 AM.
    I am a lawyer in real life, but I try to roleplay an honorable character ;)

Champion of Telara

To sidetrack this thread for a sec, can someone post or PM me the Chloro/Lock build that can tank 4 elites?
    I am a lawyer in real life, but I try to roleplay an honorable character ;)

+ Reply to Thread