+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lightning-Based Mage

Default Lightning-Based Mage

I like themes. I think they make the character a bit more lively.

I also love lightning.

How viable is Stormcaller/Dominator/Archmage or Elementalist PvP-wise?

I also love PvP.

I could main either tree.

I rhymed on the last two phrases, I feel so free!

But really, I want to know if this spec can do nice.

Shadowlander

I can't comment too much on how it actually works, only on what I've observed... also a bump because I'd like to see if anyone with experience has anything to say.

Overall, it seems that stormcaller itself is too divided. I have a tough time understanding what it's supposed to be about.. you need to stack electrocutes and hypothermias.. and I feel like neither one is worth stacking. I'm not sure what role this soul is intended to fill... the concept does seem neat though and I would like to enjoy a viable stormcaller build someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Forks View Post
    I can't comment too much on how it actually works, only on what I've observed... also a bump because I'd like to see if anyone with experience has anything to say.

Overall, it seems that stormcaller itself is too divided. I have a tough time understanding what it's supposed to be about.. you need to stack electrocutes and hypothermias.. and I feel like neither one is worth stacking. I'm not sure what role this soul is intended to fill... the concept does seem neat though and I would like to enjoy a viable stormcaller build someday.
    No. Bad. Without synergy crystals, Stormcaller is the highest ST DPS spec, and it's the highest AoE spec by FAR.

Elementalist is jack**** in PvP.

The only ability that even makes it funny is the 51 point, but unless you're right on top of someone and can guarantee you'll live, even it isn't worth it.

Heavy SC with Elementalist and Archmage secondary souls is quite effective in Pvp if played right, the one thing that you have to understand is that it is the very example of a glass cannon. you can put out massive single target and AoE dps (sustained or burst), but if an enemy player decides you need to die, be ready to withdraw or face a quick death.

solo its not too much to speak of, but as long as you have a couple friends you should be fine.

for specs, This or This work quite well.
    Windstorm - Mage - Faeblight US
    Hi, I'm back!
    Faeblight since CB3

Stormcaller is the overall strongest soul that mages have now both for pvp and pve.
    In pve, it's the highest (without synergy) single target dps soul by a relatively small margin and completely dominates aoe parses.

In pvp, there are several tricky builds that can play as an assasin (stack some debuffs on the target, then nuke them with 2-3 3-5k nukes in a row) or an aoe dps, or both. Plus SC has some decent pvp defensive/utility cooldowns: sprint, icy wortex, storm guard. Not that it has super-survivability on its own, but its definitely more then many other dps specs when you get healed. Plus the sprint stacks nicely with movespeed buff from the pvp soul. Overall, sc is reliant on being healed in pvp. However, it's one of the not so many classes that can kill a healed opponent solo, especially if they catch the healer off guard.

And, as you might or might not know, mages are heavily reliant on gear too. It's the calling with the most gear scaling in game (while there are some specs like inquisitor that have greater scaling on some of their spells, the general scaling of dps clerics is pathetic once you hit the crit (soft)cap). Thus, playing as a mage 1-49, pr1 to 6 and pr6+ are like three different games. Pr8 mages who max spellpower are especially deadly.

Elementalist is a good (decent, at least) support soul but is not self-sufficient as a main soul both for pvp and pve. And it's only air damage is lightning strike (and the pathetic pet).

Dominator is a great CC/support soul for pvp, and since it does not aim to deal damage it's not really gear dependant. Though you will want maximum survivability as you are extremely likely to be focused first. Some of its skills are definitely overpowered against certain opponents, like an aoe buff that grants 75% chance to reflect enemy spells, power drains that decimate enemy healers' mana and so on. It's cc are not that great though after the diminishing returns buff. And, as a side note, any support spec is only as effective as the ones they support, so if your whole team blows dont expect to win the game single handedly. And, btw, most of dominator's damage is death type, if you are that particular about that.

Archmage is a pvp support soul. It has no active dps skills.

In the end, you are lucky indeed, as the air based class is the most flexible and versatile of the mage souls, and fares rather well since release.

ps I'd suggest this build for 44sc: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...trtssdo.xx0R0f
    Hastened withdrawal will save you much more then once, and will let you maneouver fast when you'll have some raptor/wolf/boar pet poking you for 40 dmg/hit in a mass fight.
    Last edited by Halman; 10-04-2011 at 07:45 AM.

Ascendant

the other builds are strange.. try 44sc or 51sc.

stormcaller is too squishy to play without better than average heals. if you are low pvp rank try 51 dominator or defile necro/lock/am (full movement) until at least finishing rank 2. better is rank 4 when you can get overload.

regards
    Last edited by ururu; 10-04-2011 at 08:48 AM.

Shield of Telara

I used to play sc/dom a lot back when I was ranking up to r6(when that was the cap). I can't remember the specific build, it didn't have split personality because it was garbage then, and it might be garbage again, I haven't played dom since the nerf. Anyways, here's an example of a build that could work.
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...o.Mciubkordz.x
    The nice thing about sc/dom is there is so much room to play around with, you can build it many different way and if I was to actually play this spec again it again I probably wouldn't play this build, I'd go less into dom and sc and try to squeeze overload in the spec somehow, but the build I linked will never run out of options, plenty of AoE, more than enough ST burst(building storm or storm shackle with electried and ice shear, throw in a split personality for good measure). Your defensive abilities here are your dom CCs, and remember, Icy vortex and the knockback shield stack very well together.

So how do you think my Stormcaller 44/ Dominator 22/ Archmage 0 would work?

I think it's pretty neat, in the end.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by RJMazz View Post
    So how do you think my Stormcaller 44/ Dominator 22/ Archmage 0 would work?

I think it's pretty neat, in the end.
    Yes, it will work. Although it's not 44 storm / 22 dom you linked..

Note : swift control is my favorite ability in the dom tree. I strongly urge you to take a look at it. Especially with pyromancer or stormcaller the fast casts after a squirrel can be really nice.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Nooodle View Post
    No. Bad. Without synergy crystals, Stormcaller is the highest ST DPS spec, and it's the highest AoE spec by FAR.
    I never understood why people claim this? I speced Sc/elem and ran a t2 to test it out. I was not impressed. On the same mobs and pyro/elem I parsed much higher aoe. Single target stationary boss fights pyro also parsed higher, not as much as the aoe but still higher.

I used the standard sc/elem spec with rotation as well as the standard pyro/elem.

The only diff in the aoe that I can see if that the sc spec can aoe upt o 10 mobs and pyro only 8, but the few fights that you actually run into more than 8 mobs at once are few and far between so it doent seem to make sense to me to spec for the occasional.

This is with mostly t2 some t3 gear. 1320 sp, 881 crit

People claim this because SC actually requires some skill to play, especially its building storm rotations.
    The only way pyro can consistently outparse SC on aoe is if it's a stopcasting pyro/archon build and you constantly fight groups of 8+ mobs. Otherwise..well, just no single chance. Pyro spells just dont do enough aoe damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Forks View Post
    I have a tough time understanding what it's supposed to be about.. you need to stack electrocutes and hypothermias.. and I feel like neither one is worth stacking.
    Since the OP mentioned PVP I am going to give you a little boost in the right direction.

Forget that SC can deal some awesome AOE damage if played right.

Have you ever played a healer, and tried to focus on dispelling debuffs? Especially those nasty healing debuffs that lower healing taken and received.

Now suppose you are trying to heal debuffs from your group, one and two per global cooldown, and some crazy mage on the other side is capable of stacking a weak debuff on every member of your group every second while dealing damage.

Now imagine there are two such mages ...

I love this soul.

<Amazonia> Leader - Sunrest Server
    It's only a game ... until you get a piece of Asph.

Plane Walker

anything that is 44 SC is doing it wrong, u can make your own decision from there. Yes 44 is nice to see high crits on people if your high rank but i promise you you could out damage and get more KB without 44. Really its up to the person tho so i cant say its completely wrong

As far as elementalist- LS can crit 48 for 4.5+ plus if you are r8 yourself and use a powerstone. You also get a 15% crit bonus on top of it from speccing into it.

But again its up to the person, 44 just doesnt work for me since the majoirty of fights i do is either premades or open world against r8 guilds and people dont just stand there letting you build up nor do they die in one rotation.

Also a 32/32ish spec of dom/SC is nice for support/damage. You can mask dom debuffs with stormcaller. Not sure if its supposed to do this but SC debuffs will supercede dominator debuffs when somebody tries to cleanse no matter what order u cast them in, coulda changed by now havent done it since the last patch .

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Queezy View Post
    anything that is 44 SC is doing it wrong, u can make your own decision from there. Yes 44 is nice to see high crits on people if your high rank but i promise you you could out damage and get more KB without 44. Really its up to the person tho so i cant say its completely wrong

As far as elementalist- LS can crit 48 for 4.5+ plus if you are r8 yourself and use a powerstone. You also get a 15% crit bonus on top of it from speccing into it.

But again its up to the person, 44 just doesnt work for me since the majoirty of fights i do is either premades or open world against r8 guilds and people dont just stand there letting you build up nor do they die in one rotation.

Also a 32/32ish spec of dom/SC is nice for support/damage. You can mask dom debuffs with stormcaller. Not sure if its supposed to do this but SC debuffs will supercede dominator debuffs when somebody tries to cleanse no matter what order u cast them in, coulda changed by now havent done it since the last patch .
    lightning strike hits for less than lighting burst. you can get nenvin's lament to get a guaranteed crit along with hastened withdraw. plus, lightning burst is .5s faster than lightning strike. if you can't burst anything down with another dps while doing lightning burst you fail. (hint: works especially well with a pvp'er who has a reliable heal debuff).

as for premades.. that's why you have 5 specs. I still find stormcaller/am/ele to be quite strong in premade situation. no question dominator can and probably is more effective vs. most of the premade groups.

regards
    Last edited by ururu; 10-05-2011 at 08:11 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast