+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GLopez

Thread: So Overload does in fact work on Dots.....However

Default So Overload does in fact work on Dots.....However

This is where it gets Odd

I noticed a huge damage increase by picking up the 3 points in overload when doing a 49 warlock/2 necro spec

You can easily test this, pickup 49 warlock/12 AM/2 necro, then go duel someone, Cast your dots on them and then do it again after picking up Overload.

You'll notice a damage increase... sometimes..

Now I was thinking, it was just because overload was going off on every dot tic, I mean after all.. that was a bug on tempest i believe for a long time.

However, Here is something strange i noticed, Whenever I had the higher dot tics from overload going off, around 400ish on lifeleech on the target, vs the 330's on life leech on the target without overload going off, I noticed there was a non crit damage increase on the dot itself.

So while the 400ish life leech hit for 200, and the 330's life leech hit for 150.

Now you might say "Well something procced on your gear", only I have no procs going off at the time, I did not have any procs off period, and only buff I had going was Burning Power Stone (which i'm wondering if it has an effect on it, maybe overload doesn't work, and burning power stone is actually proccing on dots?)

This deserves more testing, but I did notice a crit increase and sometimes a base damage increase when picking up Overload in the pvp tree.
    Xsorus - Rank 8 Mage/Server Seastone/Guardian/Guild - Desolate

Just solved the Overload bug

If you cast a dot on someone, and the initial hit crits, you get Overload

and your base damage is increased as well no less

If however you cast a dot on someone, and the initial hit does not crit, You don't get Overload on any part of the Dot

Which leads me to believe, the way dots work is instead of checking each individual tic of the dot for an overload, a dot would be considered like 1500 damage nuke over 10 seconds, If it crits for say 2000 damage with overload, you get 2000 damage over 15 seconds. If however the initial hit is just for 1500 damage non crit, the you don't get the overload bonus, just the individual dot tics can crit for 1.5 modifier.

But yea, Basically just assume if the dot crits on the initial hit, You get overload, if it doesn't, ya don't..
    Last edited by Sorovos; 10-01-2011 at 03:09 PM.

Nice find! Can you confirm this happens in WFs as well?
    Xail - R41 Mage
    Guardian
    <We Are Legend>

Quote Originally Posted by A Mage View Post
    Nice find! Can you confirm this happens in WFs as well?
    I tested it via duels and dummies.

I figured it'd be hard to test in a War front based on the crap ton of outside factors you can't control (buff's, different targets, debuffs) ect ect.

Yeah, but some spells are bugged in duels and nowhere else.
    Zepol @ Seastone - Mage

Quote Originally Posted by GLopez View Post
    Yeah, but some spells are bugged in duels and nowhere else.
    It's quite possible, Other mages are welcome to test the findings though, I'm assuming though in the end this will help locate the bug when concerning it for the developers

Actualy this could be quite importent. Overload should in theory behave the same way as the 4piece hk lock crystal, so I wonder what effect this issue would have on the defile lock builds that people are saying should be the best dps for hk geared people.

So I tested this in warfronts, and it's right. Overload only affects DOTs and channeled spells if the initial tick crits. I'm not sure if this goes for Soul Purge since it doesn't have an initial tick.

But this has good implications for Devouring Shadows. Since we use it mostly for the instant tick, Overload does affect it more often than not.
    Zepol @ Seastone - Mage

Quote Originally Posted by GLopez View Post
    So I tested this in warfronts, and it's right. Overload only affects DOTs and channeled spells if the initial tick crits. I'm not sure if this goes for Soul Purge since it doesn't have an initial tick.

But this has good implications for Devouring Shadows. Since we use it mostly for the instant tick, Overload does affect it more often than not.
    K, well that settles that, Yea it took me a bit to figure out what was going on, I didn't notice what was happening till I noticed the Base damage increase of the dot, though it might have to do with burning power stone, but I removed that and still got same effect.

Testing on the dummy showed no effect either, so it had nothing to do with no overload being present (Like if I crit on the dot on the dummy, it didn't increase the damage of the base damage of the dot)

It seems only Overload actually does this, I'm sure tempest might as well, and the synergy crystal. But regular dot tics don't do this.

nice find, post on mage bugs thread
    -Cane
    Arcanas - Co-Leader of Purge to Win, Bloodiron Guardian PvPvE Guild.
    Hammerknell 11/11, World #5th Akylios

+ Reply to Thread