+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: PVP Nightmare

Default PVP Nightmare

So I've been struggling through PvP ever since the game was released, and have taken breaks and came recently to a game where the majority of the people I PVP with is max prestige warriors and rogues.

I'm prestige rank 2 right now and probably going to hit 3 by either tonight or tomorrow.
    I've found it impossible to kill anybody anymore and I need some help I guess.
    Right now I'm using a 20 Archmage / 42 Dominator spec, and I've got all the pvp gear available to me.

Right now I've found my two biggest problems to be warriors and rogues (go figure).
    What do I do when a warrior has enraged, is immune to CC and is all over me?
    I can't kite if I can't slow him, and they've got god knows how many gap closers.
    Rogues are similar but can be even worse at times.

Sword of Telara

Go chlorolock. I'm a low rank mage also (just hit r3) with a crafted staff and I notice a significant performance bump using this type of build.

Dominator is pretty good, but its cooldown dependant and if people find out you are the one debuffing healers/shackling/mass betrayal-ing they will start to focus you, and you'll just splat.

Chlorolock is quite effective, puts out nice AOE heals and gets you some burst nature's fury -> devouring shadows.

There are plenty of builds out there that can outline what to go for. Generally speaking, you need to move with the group and play from behind other people. The chlorolock builds will give you much, MUCH more survival than domi builds, and I'd recommend scaling back your investment in the pvp soul to 5 for the +15% damage

As for warriors, they're not the biggest predator on the field any more. Unless they're rank 6+ with some solid heals, they dont even bother me, i just put detaunt on them and focus on someone else.
    Last edited by Corebot; 10-01-2011 at 11:55 AM.

Telaran

Chlorolocks arent as powerful after patch. I can no longer be a rambo in wfs..
    But i think it is good spec for library..

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Cyriaa View Post
    I can't kite if I can't slow him, and they've got god knows how many gap closers.
    Thats the biggest problem for me atm. Whenever I try and CC/Slow a warr/rogue thats on me, 75% of the time he'll be immune to it. I used to play a lot of PvP in WoW and they didn't have diminishing returns on slows, so that ranged classes could actually kite. I know Rift isn't WoW, but just saying.

well what really bothers me is seeing a rogue instant get out of a polymorph (probably from break free) and then instantly becomes immune to all CC.
    like....really?
    1 CC and you're immune now?
    I did Chloro/Lock back from 1.1 to 1.3, after that I was just meh, don't really care for it.

There's multiple Warrior/Rogue/Cleric specs that are viable in PvP, why can't there be more than one Mage PvP sec?

Mage is the most skill dependent calling in Rift.

The Infamous Chlorolock is very good for "tanking" people but not as good for killing them unless you have great gear. I do not spec Planar Attunement as the extra points in Warlock give more DoT damage and the extra point in Chloro gives 15% more healing from LGV.

I like to run Chloro/Dom as it is even MORE skill dependent but also simultaneously offers very good survivabilty if you know what you're doing.

Anyone who complains to you that, as of 1.5, Rogues are overpowered...has never played Chloro Dom or fails at it.

That is all.

Soulwalker

why dont you share your secrets of chloro/dom specs with us, what do you do if warrior/rogue is immun, i die always then...

Quote Originally Posted by korkak View Post
    why dont you share your secrets of chloro/dom specs with us, what do you do if warrior/rogue is immun, i die always then...
    Sheep someone else around him.

Target him.

Storm Shackle.

Kite.

Telaran

Ok he's still not half dead yet and yeah he's in your face.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by ChinesePanda View Post
    Sheep someone else around him.

Target him.

Storm Shackle.

Kite.
    You can't kite him for long enough to actually kill him since a lot of CC shares diminishing returns (noticed that fear and a stun share DR for instance). Not to mention he has gap closers and you have to peel him off with some for of CC (that further contributes to DR).
    For me it seems that CC in Rift PvP is totaly gimped.

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidoxygen90 View Post
    You can't kite him for long enough to actually kill him since a lot of CC shares diminishing returns (noticed that fear and a stun share DR for instance). Not to mention he has gap closers and you have to peel him off with some for of CC (that further contributes to DR).
    For me it seems that CC in Rift PvP is totaly gimped.
    It is, though I'm curious as to how rogues can have me stun locked for like 10 seconds, while I can poly once, they instantly break free and become immune afterwards.
    so basically the only thing I can do is suffer the hazing until P8?
    again, that's a bunch crap.

Telaran

Ok I don't want to make it seem easy because it isn't and cc is definitely difficult to use in this game but not impossible. Our specs likely differ so I only hope what I share can be of some help. My best advice on the cc issue is to have a ton of it and always remember that buying a few seconds of time is often the best thing you can hope to achieve. Other people, and sadly your own shades/pets can often make theory crafted cc rotations near impossible to achieve or maximize.

You must at the very least keep track of what you've thrown with regard to the timesensitive concerns about cc. For example, if you go squirrel, Deaths Edict, StormSchackle and he breaks out and charges, you pretty much guaranteed he's going to be chasing you unchecked for the next twelve seconds. Conversely, if you are at max distance and space your cc, you can control him for long enough while keeping cc available as an option should the fight extend. I understand it's rare that anything goes according to plan. Ideally though I like to lead with squirrel, start a little dps (not so much as to break squirrel) and 'show' a nuke like Cinderburst. It will either get off or he'll break free. Either way is ok as you still maintain distance, control and initiative. If he breaks free, he'll be squirrelled again and then eat that Cinderburst followed by Burning Bonds. In that time he's rooted, I'll dps a little and Stormshackle him as it wears. Notice that what I'm creating here, aside from some damage, is a time gap between controls. He's now fully immune but should be beat up pretty bad if he charges through shackles and he will again be succeptable to squirrel in less than five seconds. At this point my only concern is the 5 measly yards he needs to close in order to stun me and instantly sway the tide.

Basically instead of unloading everything you've got then crapping your pants when you're all out and he's mean mugging you, space things out a bit and if he's going to eventually take you, at least make him extend so he's away from any help.

Telaran

The answer to your question is Cleanse Soul. This creates an immunity you must account for and not confuse with the game's cc dr/immunity rules. For us it's a complete mind**** and you basically have to expect it. So not only must we keep track of our cc and that of our teammates, we gotta deal with getting the exact same message regardless of the source of that immunity. With such strict rules, we really ought to know more than 'IMMUNE'. If he's immune by his own doing, let that show up purple or something so we can tell the difference. Tell me IMMUNE5 so I know how much longer. Make him glow while immune. Anything would help. All I have is Transmogrify I use as a 'check' cc. If it works, cool. If not, at least I havent wasted a cooldown skill.

Getting jumped by sins in open world is always going to be a problem. We're often half dead before we can even react and a map full of easy pve marks turns into a swamp of potential hazards. I run a Dom/Pyro/AM setup so I have a couple tools should I get jumped. Flicker gives better results sometimes but Break Free is often safer. It's difficult to pay attention to what you might be flickering into when your surprised.

Break Free as quick as you can, squirrel him and run like hell. Here's where it gets tricky and knowing what he's capable of is helpful. Be prepared for him to break your cc and not only be immune to cc but anything you've got for the next five seconds. I don't know what you're capable of, but if I can create a 20yard gap before he cleanses, I still have a chance. Fail to do that and I'm in big trouble because he's just going to close, stun me and finish me off. The only way I know how to do this is Flicker. Casting Flicker, HeatWave and Flicker again can be a great way to sieze initiative. It gets you away from his grasp, gives you time to figure out wtf just happened and puts you in the offensive with the enhanced speed and reduced globals. I know I've mismanaged my tools by casting BreakFree followed by Flicker/Flicker but sometimes we gotta do extreme things to survive. I'll drink a HoT potion and wait for his move. If you have a chance, get him low and silence him. He'll die.

Champion of Telara

Actually, the better answer to your question is, R2-3 mages do not kill anything. For that matter, R2-3 anything does not kill much (except maybe marksmen with R0 gear and raid T1 gear). Hence I generally frown on low level people insisting to DPS .

I was full T2 gear + when I started PvPing and only switched to PvP gear when I hit Rank 4... to do so earlier made your survivability slightly better, but your functionality significantly worse. Having said that, this is not necessarily an issue for support dominators since SP doesn't really affect your abilities as much.... and if you're trying to kill someone, you probably have the wrong goal in mind.

From R0-5, I played mainly support. Healing as a chlorolock was the easiest because I had survivability and decent healing ability, making me an asset to most WF's. That has changed a bit though since patch 1.5... MM now nullify chloro's altogether. You can support still as dominator, but the effects are noticed less and surviving involves pressing the correct keys really quickly. Do not expect to get any kills though.... if you do, you met a low level PvP'er like yourself. Don't use killing blows as a gauge of how good you are.... its a terrible gauge.

Your most important skills will revolve around survivability.... don't bother with 20 points in archmage. Bonus damage on a low damage base is not the most useful. As a low level dominator, your aim is to make sure the enemy has no energy and select irritating individuals are CC'ed. The skill that procs run speed on dmg is not too bad. Otherwise, the HP boosts from chloro or lock, as well as the 10% dmg reduction from elementalist are all valuable. Another thing is that I swapped out my sigil the moment I could afford the valour one and filled it with endurance essences. I even used the essences that you get from the raid rifts that give str/dex simply because they have some valour/end. The chief determinant of how useful you are at low levels is how long you can stay on the field. If you spend half the time dead, you are probably more useful to the opponent as favor fodder.
    Last edited by masakari81; 10-06-2011 at 01:27 AM.

As a low rank mage i would play Chlorolock, healers are always valuable and you get the best survivability that mage has to offer.

http://bluedots.org/2011/07/08/1-3-pvp-chlorolock/
    -Cane
    Arcanas - Co-Leader of Purge to Win, Bloodiron Guardian PvPvE Guild.
    Hammerknell 11/11, World #5th Akylios

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast