+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mage Spellpower vs Crit?

Soulwalker

Default Mage Spellpower vs Crit?

I'm running a SC/Ele spec if that makes any difference, but I'm really wondering if there is a soft cap for either of these stats - Spellpower or Crit.

I've read on some earlier threads that after 1300 spellpower you really want to be going for Crit.

Can anyone clarify this simply for me. Thanks

Shadowlander

Soft crit cap at 40% and hard crit cap at 60%. Don't know about the rest

Shield of Telara

45% crit soft cap, stop speading bad information, which you will hit evetually without trying if you are in any sort of HK guild. Spell power is better.

Quote Originally Posted by ElusiveJones View Post
    45% crit soft cap, stop speading bad information, which you will hit evetually without trying if you are in any sort of HK guild. Spell power is better.
    no need to be condescening. probably would have been more helpful by just saying, "Hey guy, crit cap's at 45%, so by the time you start clearing content in HK, it wont really matter, so you'll want to be stacking spellpower. Hope this helps!"
    Eclipze @ Retired Raider
    Mage Extraodinaire
    PVE <The Grubs> | <Thantos Gallanos Xantos>
    PVP <Terrible Idea>

RIFT Community Ambassador bluedot's Avatar

Keep in mind the soft cap does not affect +% Crit from Talents. If you float over your Spell Crit it will say something like "Y Spell Crit gives you X% chance to Crit". The final number listed at the top of the tooltip is your Crit chance from Spell Crt and Talents.

But you are absolutely right that you'll hit crit cap pretty quickly in Hammerknell. I am not really sure what the plan will be for the next dungeon, if we are all crit capped.

Kazzin laid out Spell Power vs Spell Crit for before you hit cap, very well in this thread: http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...l-power-2.html

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipze View Post
    no need to be condescening. probably would have been more helpful by just saying, "Hey guy, crit cap's at 45%, so by the time you start clearing content in HK, it wont really matter, so you'll want to be stacking spellpower. Hope this helps!"
    You are right and I apologize. I was grumpy and slightly hungover from a late night last night, still am a little bit, too, heh. The general idea while I was gearing up through t1s was that 1 crit<2 sp. Storm callers get +15% chance to crit on air spells, and your big hypothermia nukes get 100%(assuming you are using building storm properly). Pyro get's +15% chance to crit on fireballs, which is basically 90% of your casts. And chloro's get a +25% int boost. All of these builds should have at least 5 into ele, giving you a global +5% crit chance, plus raid buffs giving an extra +10%, and I'm not sure about, but rogues put up a debuff giving the mob a 5% increased chance to get crit, as well.

Basically just trying to paint a picture that crit is relatively easy to get, and it caps out(from stats/gear), you are best to stack int and spell power.

Was that a little better? ;)

Edit: bluedot's link disagree with what I heard while gearing up that 1 crit <2 sp, I still think it's a pretty good place to start at, and tweak it as it you gear up.
    Last edited by ElusiveJones; 10-01-2011 at 01:27 PM.

RIFT Community Ambassador bluedot's Avatar

Edit: bluedot's link disagree with what I heard while gearing up that 1 crit <2 sp, I still think it's a pretty good place to start at, and tweak it as it you gear up.
    If it makes you feel better I was one of the guys pushing the 1crit<2sp rule. Kazzin baked me a giant humble pie with that post. ;)

XiL

Mage has been this way since launch.

Int>SP>Crit

That is all you need to know.

Soulwalker

I'm still none the wiser really

Working on another Planar Focus .... all spell crit? or all spellpower?, or a bit of each?

I'm more confused than ever now, just really wanted a simple answer.

Look for as much intelligence as possible followed by spell power

Soulwalker

I've obviously gone for as much Intelligence as poss (ie, I have Lesser Planars that have Int as prio). 4 of them have spellpower and 2 of them have spell crit.

My stats are as follows:
    1307 spellpower (with Burning Powerstone +200sp)
    37.23% spell crit (5% of which is talent based)
    558 Intelligence

Should I replace the 2 Lesser Planar Essences with Spell Crit on them to Spellpower ones?

NB. Should also not that I am in T2 gear with no R1 gear as of yet and as for going to HK, that will probably not happen, as this is an alt
    Last edited by Aruana; 10-02-2011 at 06:50 AM.

Soulwalker

Also, on offhands, wands and anything else, is spellpower runes what I should be looking for? or Intelligence? or Crit?

I was told that spell crit was a dps boost for Pyro spec due to the Tempest ability in elemental line, 30% bonus to critical hit damage....

Ascendant

so you learned that not everything you read in game chat or forum is true, do your math for yourself and check it.
    Once known as Nix-Zero

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.
    Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by XiL View Post
    Mage has been this way since launch.

Int>SP>Crit

That is all you need to know.

I'm a little confused by this. Why do you say intelligence is better than SP? Is it because Intelligence gives both SP and SC?

If the above is true, would it be better to slot more intelligence runes than SP runes?

How about for PvP, is Spell Crit more useful in PvP or SP? I'm guessing I should go for at least 40% SC in PvP and rest in int/sp/HP?
    Last edited by Ardus; 10-02-2011 at 09:48 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast