+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Seem to die alot while questing.

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    3

    Default Seem to die alot while questing.

    So I'm Element/fire/archon. But if I get more then 2 mobs in me I get my face rocked. I feel a lack of defensive cooldowns. Also my pet is very weak and dies quicker then I do. at lvl 22, if i get the jump on the mob I'm usually okay. but if I'm fighting 2 of them and my pet is off fighting something else i get rocked. Any suggestions to increase my fight time so i can live? Also im not a clicker i keybind so i know its not my speed of reaction time that makes me die....but i could be lack of experience or stupidity or ignorance

  2. #2
    Ascendant Proclus_Lycaeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,459

    Default

    The problem is, your build doesn't offer much in the way of healing, while it does have a pet to tank/absorb damage for you if you are using the wrong one, it may die quickly, and is pretty much known as a "glass cannon" ... lots of damage, but easily killed when attacked.

    While it is possible to just keep going, you may want to open up another build and try something that has a more hearty pet (or summon the correct one, say the Earth Elemental) and/or some healing.
    Last edited by Proclus_Lycaeus; 10-01-2011 at 05:06 AM.
    Retired from the forum community 12/19/2017

  3. #3
    Champion
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doommann View Post
    So I'm Element/fire/archon. But if I get more then 2 mobs in me I get my face rocked. I feel a lack of defensive cooldowns. Also my pet is very weak and dies quicker then I do. at lvl 22, if i get the jump on the mob I'm usually okay. but if I'm fighting 2 of them and my pet is off fighting something else i get rocked. Any suggestions to increase my fight time so i can live? Also im not a clicker i keybind so i know its not my speed of reaction time that makes me die....but i could be lack of experience or stupidity or ignorance
    Are you upgrading your spells/abilities when you level up?

    The other issue is that you could be outplaying content - meaning you're rushing through the areas and are playing in an area over your level.

    When you get too many mobs on you, you're obviously pulling to many, and you have to throttle back somewhat.

    We all die while playing, whether questing or doing another part of the game, but if you die so often you have to post in the forum, I have to question your play style.

  4. #4
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raptor7 View Post
    Are you upgrading your spells/abilities when you level up?

    The other issue is that you could be outplaying content - meaning you're rushing through the areas and are playing in an area over your level.

    When you get too many mobs on you, you're obviously pulling to many, and you have to throttle back somewhat.

    We all die while playing, whether questing or doing another part of the game, but if you die so often you have to post in the forum, I have to question your play style.
    Well say im fighting abunch of trolls, i engage 1 and then two other patrols start walking towards me and aggro. my pet dies and im pretty much SOL after my pet goes down.

    Can you recommend a good self heal build? One that's not to hard to learn?
    Last edited by doommann; 10-01-2011 at 05:15 AM.

  5. #5
    Champion gel214th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    521

    Default

    Check the forums for Necromancer/ Warlock builds.

    Works great for leveling and solo play.

    What you're describing will happen if you pick souls without self heals and try to go it Solo as a Mage.
    Once things get a little hectic, you're out of luck. You may do more damage, however, than a combination that has self heals and other mitigating powers.
    Doesn't mean much when you keep face-planting though ;-)
    Last edited by gel214th; 10-01-2011 at 09:47 PM.

  6. #6
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    469

    Default

    I levelled with the Pyro/elemental build and it was fine. Maybe you are doing something very wrong. It is hard to say without more information.

    1. You should be nuking mobs down fairly fast. Maybe check the points you spent with others.

    2. Patrols are always an issue, just watch out for them. I sometimes pull a ranged mob to be by going behind an object that blocks line of site. Or you can nuke the ranged mob down first. This reduces the risk of patrols.

    3. You can have your pet attack a mob that attacks you, pulling aggro off you.

    4. Make sure you are using your Earth Elemental (Air is for DPS in groups such as 5 mans or rifting) If you set your pet on auto you can cast fireball and the pet will still grab aggro off you automatically. So don't send your pet in first.

    5. Make sure your pet is trained.

    6. Make sure you keep your gear up to date. If you are not questing this will be hard to do. If you have trained Runecrafting then use them.

    7. If you have Alchemy then make healing pots, they are great for emergencies.
    Last edited by Zartanic; 10-02-2011 at 04:24 AM.

  7. #7
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Machiko_Naguchi View Post
    The problem is, your build doesn't offer much in the way of healing, while it does have a pet to tank/absorb damage for you if you are using the wrong one, it may die quickly, and is pretty much known as a "glass cannon" ... lots of damage, but easily killed when attacked.

    While it is possible to just keep going, you may want to open up another build and try something that has a more hearty pet (or summon the correct one, say the Earth Elemental) and/or some healing.
    Agreed. IMO, Warlock/Necro/Chloro should be the de facto leveling build for Mages. With that spec, I have literally never purchased water. You have good damage, great survivability, and essentially no down-time. DOTs, instant Bloom, and especially Soul Purge are your friends

  8. #8
    Rift Master Shannae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doommann View Post
    Well say im fighting abunch of trolls, i engage 1 and then two other patrols start walking towards me and aggro. my pet dies and im pretty much SOL after my pet goes down.

    Can you recommend a good self heal build? One that's not to hard to learn?
    This has less to do with build and more to do with not paying attention to your environment. It happens to all of us, but if it happens to you this often, consider Elementalist/Chloromancer/Dominator (0 in Dom), Necrolock builds, or perhaps Chloromancer/Archon. One of my guildmates leveled in the last one and she takes on packs of mobs almost as well as I do on my cleric.

    Good luck, and have fun!


    EDIT: I leveled as 51 Elementalist with 15 in Stormcaller, personally, and it went fine as well. But I only rarely have a problem with adds catching me off guard.
    Last edited by Shannae; 10-03-2011 at 10:18 AM.
    "You're right. Technically he has the right to cry about it. And I have the right to mock him for crying about something stupid." ~Bridgeburner
    "Try to hate other people less, you might enjoy life more." ~Tenet

    73 Likes , 1 Infraction, Liked 228 posts, and counting...

  9. #9
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    313

    Default

    i leveled as chloro elementalist warlock and it is a very suvivable fast leveling build.

    You get synthesis, tank pet, LGV, lifetap, devouring shadows and chain pull.

  10. #10
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doommann View Post
    So I'm Element/fire/archon. But if I get more then 2 mobs in me I get my face rocked. I feel a lack of defensive cooldowns. Also my pet is very weak and dies quicker then I do. at lvl 22, if i get the jump on the mob I'm usually okay. but if I'm fighting 2 of them and my pet is off fighting something else i get rocked. Any suggestions to increase my fight time so i can live? Also im not a clicker i keybind so i know its not my speed of reaction time that makes me die....but i could be lack of experience or stupidity or ignorance
    I played quite a bit with element/pyro, same level (same area, too). Overall, you shouldn't ever be going after 3+ mobs. 2 should be fine (Nuke down the first, pet will be tanking it, should be at 20% or so by the time the other mob gets to you). Then pop your armors, the pyro and the ele one. If you spec'd into the flame-breath knockback you can buy yourself a couple more seconds, plus you can disarm them.

    At the end, you will probably have lost 10% of your health (or less) but you can do this fairly quickly. Anything more than 2 and you're probably going to be in trouble, but that's the price of huge nukes. It's just the soul. You could swap out chloromancer for archon and have a 10% chance to heal for 100% of your damage. Proc'ing that on a cinder blast is pretty nice. As far as the 0 point 3rd soul goes, I like chloro over archon.. it's the difference between more max health or more health regen.

    I don't think the appropriate response to your question is "pick another class" although you should definitely keep lock/necro in mind in case you stop enjoying pyro. You might be a bit put off at first, you're killing trolls in 4-6 hits now.. whereas with a lock/necro, you'll be applying 4-6 dots, possibly an aoe, couple plague bolts and lifesteal.. but you'll be able to do this for 3-4 mobs at a time and come out with 90%+ health and mana after each fight.

    Anyways, Good luck!
    -Forks

  11. #11
    Plane Touched terran698's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    200

    Default

    i had the exact same problems you have, i had them around level 44, and found that going 44ele/everything else chloromancer kills a little slower than a ele/pyro build but the durability is just insane i regularly tank 1 or 2 mobs while my pet tanks the 1 (he can only hold aggro on one) and come out just fine.

    if you want a completely glass cannon go for 51 in pyro, 10 in warlock, and 5 in archon. sounds weird but mobs only get a single hit or two on me before they are dead. i am still only level 45 due to other things consuming large amounts of my time but those two work for me

  12. #12
    Champion Carolius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    512

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by terran698 View Post
    44ele/everything else chloromancer[/URL] kills a little slower than a ele/pyro build but the durability is just insane
    ^^^^ +1
    That's the spec to solo elites.

    For questing, 18 necro, rest in lock is hard to beat. Get Soul Purge and all your cares go away. Then at about 20 in lock you turn into an aoe farming machine.

  13. #13
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by terran698 View Post
    i had the exact same problems you have, i had them around level 44, and found that going 44ele/everything else chloromancer kills a little slower than a ele/pyro build but the durability is just insane i regularly tank 1 or 2 mobs while my pet tanks the 1 (he can only hold aggro on one) and come out just fine.
    This. I did a lot of my leveling with an elemental/chloro build and still use variations of it for soloing elites.

    Necrolock also works well. Basically, soloing is easier with a pet tank and some heals.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts