+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SC/Ele AoE "Rotation"

Champion

Default SC/Ele AoE "Rotation"

I recently acquired my HK Stormcaller Synergy Crystal 4-piece bonus and it made me think about AoE rotations (the 4-piece bonus is a 6% damage increase on mobs that have 3 stacks of electrified).

It's funny how much time is spent discussing single-target DPS rotations when AoE is really what a Mage is built for. Maybe it's because you can roll your face on the keyboard and still put up pretty AoE DPS numbers as a Stormcaller. But I don't think much time is ever given to min/maxing our AoE.

Anyway, I'm curious as to what people do when they AoE with SC.

Obviously it depends on the number of mobs, which is why I put "rotation" in quotes. It's more of a priority system.

Do you stack Electrified to 3, Lightning Field once, restack to Electrified to 3? Do you only Static Flux for Lightning Fields? Do you space out Hailstorm and Arctic Blast for max duration hypothermias? Do you still use Ice Sheer on your main target?

I think there's a lot of potential variations, so I'm curious as to what most people do.
    Last edited by FireWraith; 09-30-2011 at 07:50 AM.

GSB: 5/5, RoS: 4/4, HK: 10/11
    GP: 4/4, DH: 4/4

Rift Disciple

If there's a 'main target', ice shear him, ideally before you even start AOEing.

For standard trash, I open with LS, clip the end of the cast with SF + LF, SF off, 3x FL, SF LF, SF off, FL, BS on, FLx2, SF HS, AB, SF off, FL, (don't want to drop elec before HS is done), SF LF.

After HS and AB are on CD, standard 3x FL SF LF repeat, keep SF on for FL if excess charge.

aux

I've never really measured it...

Usually I open up with Hailstorm, Static Flux Lightning Storm and after that it's Forked Lightning and Lightning Field spam. LF when stuff is at 3 stacks of Electrified, to maximize the number of hits per cast, using Static Flux on the LF when I can.
    I play with Building Storm on Hailstorm and AB sometimes but it never really seems to make much of a difference. Nice in PvP though but in PvE I can't really see a reason to not be lazy.

When using Intensify Elements on AE I try to cast a Lightning Storm near the end of it for maximum benefit.

Seems to make sense. Stuff dies fast enough ;p

tl;dr I'm #1 so why try harder
    Last edited by aux; 09-30-2011 at 08:16 AM.
    I'm so BORED

5 or less targets:

3 FL, on BS, LF, 2FL, {this is to get enough charge and stack up BS to increase Hailstorm damage}
    on SF (IE+SD if up), Hailstorm, Lightning Storm (off BS, off SF while channeling), {lots of numbers}
    on SF LF, {moar numbers}
    off SF FL (to 3 stacks), {restack}
    on SF LF.

more than 5 targets: if charge and BS is built see above start with line 2
    with 0 charge,

Burning Ground, Hailstorm, Lightning Storm.
    on SF (IE+SD if up) LF,
    off SF FL (to 3 stacks), {restack}
    on SF LF.
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Vice Chairman of the Defiant Repopulation Committee
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

Shield of Telara

I've tried lots of ways of using building storm and hailstorm on AoE, but it's never quit kept up with just starting with hailstorm + lightning storm and lightning field, then forked lightning to get stacks back up, lightning field, etc. I generally use static flux with lightning field. The only time I've found building storm + hailstorm work better is when a lot of adds spawn in the middle of a fight and you know when they are coming(IE Matron, in which case I save IE + SD for those moments), but on your average AoE trash pull I find the former "rotation" works better.

Champion

Lots of variation in what people are doing.

I usually start out with the standard 3 FL, LF spam to build some charge.

On 2 targets, I used to just do 3x FL, 3x LF, 3x FL, 3x LF (etc) and only turn on Static Flux for the Lightning Fields. However, that would make my Electrified stacks go from 3 -> 0 -> 3 -> 0.

With the Synergy Crystal, I'm thinking that FL, LF, FL, LF would be more dps because it means stacks will go 3 -> 2 -> 3 -> 2. However, toggling SF with that I think is inefficient because it has an animation that actually causes a delay. So the more you lay on the toggle bar, the worse that delay impacts your DPS.

If there's more than 2 targets, I've always generally built to 3 stacks, 1 lightning field, then built back to 3 stacks, repeat.

I try to balance AB and HS so that Hypothermia has max up time. I've considered cycling in another hypothermia skill (I think flash freeze, can't remember). I pretty much try to hit AB and HS with Building Storm stacks every time they're up because they really do hit hard.
    Last edited by FireWraith; 09-30-2011 at 09:49 AM.

GSB: 5/5, RoS: 4/4, HK: 10/11
    GP: 4/4, DH: 4/4

+ Reply to Thread