+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Correct pyro/ele spec and rotation

Rift Disciple

Default Correct pyro/ele spec and rotation

Recently decided to add pyro/ele to my builds (too lazy for SC some nights). Looked at bluedots guide and some of it doesn't seem optimal.

First the build has Fire Shield (100% useless) instead of wildfire which has a chance to be useful on movement heavy fights.

Second, there's no mention that you should switch to fire armor for AOE. Could just be an error of omission but still should be added.

Third there's no section on Firestorm stacking. This is done either with a stopcasting macro:

#show FS
    stopcasting
    cast FS

or with manually stopping the cast with movement.

Fourth, on the ST rotation, it should be added that flame bolt should be used before popping cooldowns for a big damage boost.

There is one last point i'm not sure on - if there are no stacks of fireball dot and no CDs up, is it worth it to flamebolt? Hard to decide on the DPS value of fireball due to stacking dots.

Please let me know if I'm wrong on any of these points, and I'd especially like to know about the last point with flamebolt.

Rift Disciple

a guide is just that, a guide

if you blindly follow it you can still do great dps with it

or

you can tweek it a bit to suit your needs, since there are alot of 'useless' talents in the pyro tree shouldnt be to hard to do

and on the flamebolt used with cooldowns, not sure, go play with the dummy and see which parses higher

currently if you have the t1 or t2 sc fire armor and just spam fireball seems to be parseing higher

no sc use pyro armor for instant cb procs

flamebolt and other dots is a dps loss, so only cast when you are having to move

and bluedots site does have the stopcasting firestorm, just didnt seem to make it in with that particular guide
    Last edited by Ominith; 09-30-2011 at 06:55 AM.

Plane Touched

Bluedots guides are for beginners, thats it. Once you have a bit of experience you should be making your own spec that suits your own preferences.

At lower SP levels when flame bolt should have higher priority than fireball on the spam macro, wildfire is a DPS loss.

As for stopcasting firestorm, thats way too mana intensive, if AOE is needed that badly you should be SC/ele.

Rift Disciple

It's not a matter of beginners vs experienced mages. The points i listed are just wrong objectively. It's not like skill will change that fact.

Shadowlander

Could you elaborate on stopcasting Firestorm? I know it's done, but I'm not to clear on how to do it.

I suppose you wait until the 2nd tick, then stopcast and immediately cast.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Mackori View Post
    Could you elaborate on stopcasting Firestorm? I know it's done, but I'm not to clear on how to do it.

I suppose you wait until the 2nd tick, then stopcast and immediately cast.
    Yep. First tick instant, 2nd tick about 2 seconds later, immediately recast for another instant tick. In theory it will give you 2 ticks every 2 seconds instead of one, but with latency/reaction time it's more like 4 every 5 seconds instead of 4 every 8 seconds.

Rift Disciple

Any other experiences with this? Has anyone done extensive testing with flamebolt vs fireball stacks? I know for sure that after you have a stack of fireball rolling it's always better to cast fireball, but with nothing rolling flamebolt might give slightly better performance.

Shield of Telara

You can only cast 4 fireballs in between flame bolts. In the same time you could fire 75% of a 5th fireball(1.5s global vs. 2s fireball cast). Actually, in raids it's a higher percent with a 1.8 and sometimes a 1.7 cast(surging flare doesn't have 100% uptime), but for arguments sake we will stick with 75%. So is the damage from flame bolt + the added damage to fireball greater than that of 75% of fireball damage? I don't remember, to be honest(lol), but once you factor in the +15% chance to crit on a fireball and the chance to start(or refresh/add) a combustion stack, it's far better to just cast a fireball. While my math is incomplete, I've done numerous simple parsing tests on dummies(flame bolt + fireball macro, flame bolt only with no combustion stacks, and straight fireball) and straight fireball always came out on top. That's just a dummy test, once you again factor in the reduced cast time from raid buffs and the fact that fireball scales better with spell power(again from raid buffs) the gain from straight fireball spam becomes even greater. Having said that, I usually pull of a flame bolt before popping CDs, though maybe I shouldn't.

In addition to all that, if you are low on charge(let's say <40%), I'm pretty sure it's better to fire off cinderburst without IC due to the massive amount of charge it gives, then you can pop IC and continue fireball spam.

Ascendant

when in doubt, cast fireball

I would rather have an auto shield for 15% of max health than wildfire(pretty big shield raid buffed). Stop casting aoe I would hope is common sense by now. I have read long winded math posts about fb vs combust fireball, but none with people reaching a general consensus on whats better. It would make sense to me to keep a +10 percent damage to all fire abils up at all times when ALL your abils in that spec are...fire. The macro makes it easy to keep it up and basically forget about it. Also with the basic pyro macro your HW resets fb's cd so it would be up while ur cds are popped anyway. This is all personal pref tho, along with my pref to not running pyro/ele in a heavy aoe fight or movement heavy fight anyway.
    clic clack

+ Reply to Thread