+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Devouring Shadows hits like a truck

Default Devouring Shadows hits like a truck

Don't misunderstand, this isn't a QQ just yet, I just want to understand what could be happening to make it hit so hard. I'm routinely finding myself at R8, 1k valor getting melted from 1k-1.5k crits of devouring shadows. This mage was doing it the entire warfront so it didn't seemed cooldown based. Basically, if I got within melee range it was GG. It hurt realy bad, so I'm asking, can someone explain to me why it hurts so much? Am I doing something wrong? is there a debuff on me that does it? Or does this move just hurt that bad at R8?

Was that mage me? >.> Think I just saw you in black garden.

Anyways, 51 warlocks have a spell called Empowered Darkness that increases their damage by 75%. It's a green skull icon and lasts for about 15 seconds with 100 charge, with a 30 second cooldown.

There is no cooldown on Devouring Shadows, and you can make it double up on every second tick by recasting the spell - combined with empowered darkness, causes lots of damage. :x

To answer your other questions also, no - you're not doing anything wrong. But there isn't very much one can do to stop it, short of focusing the mage. :/
    Last edited by Formi; 09-29-2011 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Formi View Post
    Was that mage me? >.> Think I just saw you in black garden.

Anyways, 51 warlocks have a spell called Empowered Darkness that increases their damage by 75%.

There is no cooldown on Devouring Shadows, and you can make it double up on every second tick by recasting the spell - combined with empowered darkness, causes lots of damage. :x
    Yes it was you, this just happened. I couldn't do that on any build I have after the warrior nerfs went through. If I stand next to you to attack, I die . It literally melted me to pieces in 5 seconds. Thats depressing, I'm as geared as I can be and I can't pull off that kind of damage to a warlock on my best day in any build I have. I remember attacking you and feeling helpless. Ugh. Why do mages keep saying they're underpowered?
    Last edited by Magnos; 09-29-2011 at 10:15 PM.

Haha, sorry. =x *hug*

If it helps, I did have a pocket healer. :/ (Who is amazing <3)

I would take what most people complain about with a grain of salt on the forums, Mages are definately not underpowered, and never have been.
    Last edited by Formi; 09-29-2011 at 10:28 PM.

mages have always been OP lol :P

Quote Originally Posted by Formi View Post
    Haha, sorry. =x *hug*

If it helps, I did have a pocket healer. :/ (Who is amazing <3)

I would take what most people complain about with a grain of salt on the forums, Mages are definately not underpowered, and never have been.
    Yeah I never thought they were. You guys looked like a premade at least, don't know if that was the case. The other side always seems to have more mages and clerics ><
    Last edited by Magnos; 09-29-2011 at 10:37 PM.

Nope - not a premade, I always queue solo or duo. Haven't premaded in a long time! x.x

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence - you guys always seem to have more healers! =p

I feel kinda mean now though.. u__u

Sword of Telara

Formi + Zipi in my WF = Win.

Rift Disciple

If you are running RB/VK, I would think a combination of Windspear and Spellsunder should help out.

Spellsunder is up every 15 seconds, so you should be able to purge ED when up and Warlock Armor if they are not buried too deep. That alone will drop their DPS by 85%, and they will lose a GCD reapplying Warlock Armour. Also, Spellsunder is good vs his defensive CDs. Of course, if he has a pocket healer and you don't, it's probably GG anyway.

I do not play a 50 Warrior, so just mainly theroycrafting.
    Mirason - Lvl 50 R8 Dom/Chloro Mage Sunrest

Plane Walker

Mages don't say they are underpowered in PVP. It's PVE where we are not that competitive although even that is arguable.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Wintervoid View Post
    If you are running RB/VK, I would think a combination of Windspear and Spellsunder should help out.

Spellsunder is up every 15 seconds, so you should be able to purge ED when up and Warlock Armor if they are not buried too deep. That alone will drop their DPS by 85%, and they will lose a GCD reapplying Warlock Armour. Also, Spellsunder is good vs his defensive CDs. Of course, if he has a pocket healer and you don't, it's probably GG anyway.

I do not play a 50 Warrior, so just mainly theroycrafting.
    ED is unpurgable

#1 rule in the "Simple Rules of MMOs":

Don't stand in ground fire.

Hope this helped. Good day.

Quote Originally Posted by Korain View Post
    #1 rule in the "Simple Rules of MMOs":

Don't stand in ground fire.

Hope this helped. Good day.
    People need to stop offering this up as a way to combat DS. Moving out of the no cooldown insta cast GTAE only works if the mage is too stupid to move it.

Really? I think it hit me for like 400 last time I was in a WF. A Chlorolock hasn't killed me in a long time.

http://www.twitch.tv/Screamoaktown - Live streaming 5v5's
    Skreamo@Greybriar
    <Wasted Talent>

Quote Originally Posted by lol u mad? View Post
    Really? I think it hit me for like 400 last time I was in a WF. A Chlorolock hasn't killed me in a long time.
    He was a 51 Lock, I think only they can make it hit that hard. Are you a warrior as well?

Yeah also, moving out of AOE that is spammable and can be reapplied instantly isn't a great option as a warrior. If I back up or turn and run, I still get hit with one/two ticks, and then I'm out of range, and he can hit me again with another spell. Silence/fear/stun is really the only thing that seems to work, since the spell can just be recast right after an interrupt. If you fear, you can't really attack because it will be broken and he can spam again. Also the sad reality with CC is that it's really unreliable, almost every time I try to stun a mage in the midst of group PvP, he's already immune. The only thing that seems to work is killing him before he kills you, unfortunately, I can't pump out damage that fast anymore.
    Last edited by Magnos; 09-30-2011 at 10:09 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast