+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Icy Carapace in SC/ELE

Rift Disciple

Default Icy Carapace in SC/ELE

produces a significantly higher hit per cast than Cloudburst, triggered via Elemental Forces on a follow-up Cloudburst. (ignoring negligible DoT portion)

After limited testing, seems to proc Earth damage and thus Icy Carapace more than 50% of the time.

The question: is it worth the DPS loss associated with subbing EF over SF as a charge burn?

Randomness of EF makes it difficult to fit into BS/HS rotation, but anyone experienced with it can probably squeeze IC in - priority being AB'ed HS, LS, IC and finally cloudburst.

Soulwalker

Well, as you said, it's totally random.
    If you're using Hailstorm, you certainly don't have the charge to use Elemental Forces for an extended period of time. It can proc directly or never, so that would be a pretty big dps loss.
    Considering you're using it in a Cloudburst x5 rotation, and since there's 4 elements, it makes...
    Since it lasts 10 seconds, you can cast 6 spells to break it
    (0.8^4 + 0.8^3 + 0.8^2 + 0.0.8 + 1) = 74% of chance to make icy carapace break (and certainly use all your charge at the same time...)
    Now to compensate the missed clouburst, it has to hit for 35% more damages than a simple cloudburst. And it will burn your charge like hell.

So nop, I don't think it's better
    Obviously that's just math and you can be very lucky and break it everytime and it will be a slight dps increase (it's just ONE spell, and not a big one), or never (and it will be a huge dps decrease because of the charge).

Also, I don't think a third charge spell to use would complexify it a little bit too much for most of people
    Last edited by Alenore; 09-28-2011 at 05:18 AM.

Rift Disciple

Test this yourself but,
    EF doesn't have to proc earth damage to trigger Icy Carapace any element will do it.
    The new [notactive] macros can be applied to EF
    EF on Icy Carapace will cause it to detonate itself.

Rift Disciple

dezyne u are a genius! it worketh.

icy carapace with the charge toggle macro will certainly be a DPS increase in 1.5 for the standard BS/HS rotation.

i suppose you could squeeze the DoT dps from IC and pop it on a future CB....

Great idea! I never thought of it but I'm going to try to work it into my rotation! Thanks!

That sounds unintended, but I'm okay with it.
    Mages need all the help in ST they can get.

Just because I can solo tank and solo heal experts doesnt mean I should pull less dps than some faceroll warrior with a G15 keyboard who has an auto clicker and just holds down 1 for a boss fight.
    Last edited by Primalthirst; 09-28-2011 at 06:56 AM.
    Nope.

Ascendant

Any EF proc will set it off. I used to run a rotation with it back when LF was the main spammable SC ability in raids. I found with cloudburst's air travel time timing was much harder and the charge required for EF was so high that it wasn't worth it anymore. It was also much better with prenerf spotters orders as the IC DoT got the benefit as well. The good thing about that is that if you proc a water EF it crits (a couple patches ago) for around 1k+ and air for 700+. I haven't tested since I hit r8 though, numbers are probably a lot higher now.

RIFT Community Ambassador bluedot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    That sounds unintended, but I'm okay with it.
    Mages need all the help in ST they can get.

Just because I can solo tank and solo heal experts doesnt mean I should pull less dps than some faceroll warrior with a G15 keyboard who has an auto clicker and just holds down 1 for a boss fight.
    It has been since launch and has been reported multiple times so I doubt it is a bug or unintended.

You can use [notactive] like so:

#show Ice Carapace
    cast [notactive] Elemental Forces
    cast Icy Carapace

I tried adding Elemental Forces after the Icy Carapace so I could just press it 3 times really quickly. However what seemed to always happen is it would turn on Elemental Forces, turn it off, then cast Icy.. not really sure why but thats what I was getting.

It works pretty well to just use the macro above and have Elemental Forces on another button to turn it off. It may be easier to work this into a Pyro/ele spec since SC/Ele already has 49.1 buttons to press. Edit: it probably isn't as good of a DPS increase with pyro/ele though if it gets the benefit of the SC +Water damage.

It would appear to be doing roughly 20%-30% more then a single cast of Cloudburst, with all 3 stacks of Electrify and Ice Shear.
    Last edited by bluedot; 09-28-2011 at 08:42 PM.

+ Reply to Thread