+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Staying Inconspicuous in Warfronts

Soulwalker

Default Staying Inconspicuous in Warfronts

My mage is barely p3 at the moment...I run a few different builds from Chlorolock to full Warlock to full Chloromancer. However, it seems I am always the first to be targeted everytime by EVERYONE. No matter what warfront I'm in, the entire other side just nuke me in 2 seconds flat everytime I attempt to get near combat.

I have tried different approaches to combat: Trying to stay in cover, hanging back for ranged or heals, or trying to get in front a bit so I am not caught like a "straggler" by opposing Riftbladers charging through the ranks...fails, everytime.

I realize it might just be a gear thing, and that's cool, I can accept that. But what I really want to know is how do you other mages deal with surviving in warfronts even when undergeared.

I mean, I understand what to do when I am p8...just rush in and slay the other team all at once like all the videos but until then, I would ask for a bit of strategy dealing with my severe shortcomings at the moment. Thanks in advance.

Imo this is one of the hardest things about playing a mage other than ChloroLock (and even them) - we are squishy and you have to learn not to be focused or if possible paid attention to at all.

If you are ChloroLock I'd say this really isn't too much of an issue - especially once you get a tad higher ranked you can effectively tank a melee or few, so you may even want to be at the front lines for Corrosion heals and to take the heat off your frailer dpsers, since you cannot effectively heal them with more than Bloom.

Until you get to this stage with ChloroLock (which in any case still needs to think about LoS, pre-kiting etc, just to a far greater extent than other mages) I'd apply the same very basic philosophy to most mage classes.

Hit from the sides - hang back whilst combat starts and then run alongside it so you aren't initially targeted and are also in an out of the way location for tunnelvision melee classes, cover also helps. Keeping moving at almost all times is likewise a good plan - anyone trying to actively click on you will be slightly inconvenienced and you become much less of an easy stationary target. Having a few decent CCs to help you escape when you are focused is ofc a great idea too.

What i tend to do is stand a bit behind the backfield of casters and nukers and try and nuke warriors and rogues who extend into our backfield to kill them. KB people back so they are even more extended and try to burst em down fast in SC. It works... sometimes.

Guildwarstwo@Faeblight - Rogue
    Aesthetic@Faeblight - Mage
    Toms@Faeblight - Rogue
    Solemnity@Faeblight - Cleric
    Skill@Faeblight - Warrior

Champion

As funny as it sounds when I Chloro I've found the best place to hide from opposing Warriors is in the opposing team's backline, especially if they're healer heavy. Healing as a Chloro it has the added bonus of being able to drop Corrosion on them to keep a minor HoT going. Detaunt the MM that is inevitably going to start hitting you then heal away. Sometimes the warriors are smart enough to come back there, but most times they'll continue pushing forward.

Granted this was at R5 onward, but as a Chlorolock you'd have more survivability than my 51 Chloro so could possibly get away with that earlier.
    Last edited by RagnorIronclad; 09-26-2011 at 07:05 PM.

Depending on the warfront, I tended to go where they others were not.
    In Port Scion I ran crystals, Codex, I went alone to try cap (Not always a good idea)
    Black Garden I stood on the walls and nuked. I never really liked Whitefall, but tried to be out of time with the zerg. I ran and stole the speedbuff, and sneaked into their base hoping our carrier would cap and I would be able to steal theirs. Worked quite well. I died a lot though.

I'm rank 6 now, and for the first time I am actually a major force in WF's. I am even finding myself getting significant heals.
    Best tip, stack as much valor as you can get. Once you have the rank 1 kit, get the Unseen stuff as soon as you can. Do the daily's (I rarely bothered with the kill quest, unless a zerg was happening) and get the rep with them. Buy the valor chest rune too. Valor makes a lot of difference.
    Also, the vengeance synergy crystal improves damage output a lot. So yeah, get real friendly with the Unseen, they have cookies

Edit: I have always ran as a Necro/lock.
    Last edited by Pushy; 09-26-2011 at 07:38 PM.
    Amary; Beta 5: Patch Notes 1/24/11
    "Increased the size of mushrooms so they can be seen through grass/groundclutter/badgers."

Plane Touched

People in WFs are easily manipulated to not attack you, if you make yourself an annoying target. Don't hide or run away, that makes you tasty. There's a few skills which you prolly dont use that much. If there are 3 hitting you, try use something like.. detaunt on one, fear on second, stun the third. After a while when they realise you are a piss thing to hit on, then they will back off fast.

51 warlocks have it easiest... Mass fear.. om nom.

Shadowlander

I would stay away from non-escalation WFSteppes until you're higher ranked. Most games are decided by rogue runners anyways, and that warfront (non-escalation) is particularly challenging to try to blend in.

As for blending in on the other maps? Try to show up a few seconds late to the party. Most people, once they engage a group of players, pick someone to try to take down and rarely change targets until that person is dead. If you can avoid that initial target picking you should be able to safely unload. There is, however, a good bit of advice I may suggest on the Codex.

Notice that Obelisk that is near the Codex flag? If you ride around your side's hill at the start and hug the closest side of the Obelisk, the enemy on their own hill won't see you. Better yet, you can prepare there (Ground of Power, etc.), because usually a few players jump down to go underneath the hanging part of the enemy's hill face - which is where you'll have vision of to attack without being dominated by the rest of the assault force who can't see you because of the Obelisk. That spot works very well for builds like Pyro and Stormcaller that take 7-10 seconds to really get going.
    Last edited by Korzu; 09-27-2011 at 12:13 AM.

Champion of Telara

A good warrior friend once told me 'If I see a blue bar with less than 7k life, I go for him.... anything about 8k, I stay away is it is one of those damn invincible chlorolocks'.

I changed my sigil to all endurance essences, and got all the hit points I could through the trees and runes to hit 7.8k life as a rank 4-5.... life was more peaceful after that.

Also, stand behind and they will go for you. Ironically, after I got so much life, I started running more to the front lines where I was pretty much left alone for long periods of time. The wars/rogues were way more grateful too to have a healer actually up front.

PS: Although I lost a lot of SP/SC.... my dmg/heal numbers went through the roof. Spending more time alive does way more for your numbers than any amount of SP/SC would
    Last edited by masakari81; 09-27-2011 at 12:35 AM.

Sword of Telara

The most common mistake is healing before the match starts. Doing so will usually get you marked even before the two teams begin to fight, so NEVER heal before the game starts.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by masakari81 View Post
    A good warrior friend once told me 'If I see a blue bar with less than 7k life, I go for him.... anything about 8k, I stay away is it is one of those damn invincible chlorolocks'.

I changed my sigil to all endurance essences, and got all the hit points I could through the trees and runes to hit 7.8k life as a rank 4-5.... life was more peaceful after that.

Also, stand behind and they will go for you. Ironically, after I got so much life, I started running more to the front lines where I was pretty much left alone for long periods of time. The wars/rogues were way more grateful too to have a healer actually up front.

PS: Although I lost a lot of SP/SC.... my dmg/heal numbers went through the roof. Spending more time alive does way more for your numbers than any amount of SP/SC would
    I'll vouch this.

Wherever you can add an endurance enhancement, do it.

I'd recommend the +50 valor Unseen planar focus, with 2-3 of the PVE lesser essences (I use Balming Winds and Maelow's Stem - together they give 40 endurance) plus the PvP planar essences from the Unseen vendor (pick the epic ones, and if you need a 4th, the non-epic one that has valor and endurance).

There is no shortage of sub-5k hp characters in warfronts. Having more hit points will make you less of a target to some people.
    Last edited by Korzu; 09-27-2011 at 11:15 PM.

Rift Master

As a high rank nuker mage I'll also vouch that it's your HP that makes you a target. Anyone sub 6000 is a priority target as they go down in 3-4 hits, and can't be kept alive by healers. If they're 6000 with Chloro/lock buffs, then I know they're low rank.

Those two lessers are great, stack Int as your rune enchants for Raised in Nature conversion, and go to town. If you're doing the full soul thing, make sure Archon is your 3rd for Searing Vitality and keep it up.

Nowadays with so many mages healing the LGV buff has become a target on your head. As tough as chlorolocks are, they still are an easier kill then those need-an-army-to-kill clerics. I know I focus mage healers over cleric healers very often, and I am sure a lot of others are doing the same.

When you heal you get focused, you just have to learn to deal with that. I handled it a bit differently then others, I guess, I put myself right out there and take the beating, always have. I been running heals for so long that I have just gotten use to all the damage and learned how to effectively take it. Although, at this point I am sweet on running heals but suck as a DPS as I am not very good at slinking around.

Make your toon as tough as nails, mage really are not all that squashy on the WF if you play them right. In the WF I almost always come out with way more damage taken everyone else, but with only a few deaths. Atm I am not playing chlorolock, I am running a chloro/archmage/ele build. I am not sure which is tougher, they both can take an incredible amount of punishment. But it needs practice, you have to know when to use your cool downs, who to detaunt, who you should kill, how to kill as a chloro, when to self heal vs. when to chloro bolt, etc.

If you are running chlorolock then your survivability is very dependent on your cool-downs, learning how to use these correctly can greatly increase your survivability. If you don't like being a target then, maybe try a non-healer spec. As, even if you are not running as a main heal, wearing that chloro buff is painting a red target on your head.

A few things to make you tougher.

They are right about the sigil, get it and fill it with valor essence. After the valor essence you can use the purple int/wis/end essence you can get with inscribed source stones. If not those, then go to the auction house and see if you can pick up some blue int/wis/end ones. Or farm some PvP rifts for more valor essences.

Using the the archmage skill resilient and detaunt helps a lot.

When running any choro spec balancing defense and offensive is not always clear cut. As with chloro the more damage you can do the more it heals yous. So mess around with it and find out what works for you.

Wars and rouge have finishers moves they can release after they hit you a few times, so look out for the damage spike.

Wars wielding two-handed weapons hurt mages a lot. We don't have the AC like others to soak that physical damage up. These make good detaunt targets, and purge targets.

Put detaunt in a mouse over marco.

Don't forget that sometimes it better to cleanse the dot, rahter then heal through it. Although the reverse is true as well.

Check your buffs often they get purged.

In battle, if you have it, always keep corrosion up.

Just wait until you hit Rank 8. It only takes a few days or so of warfronts for everyone to see you constantly at the top of the list and get a mark on your head every warfront.
    Last edited by Eclipze; 09-28-2011 at 08:12 AM.
    Eclipze @ Retired Raider
    Mage Extraodinaire
    PVE <The Grubs> | <Thantos Gallanos Xantos>
    PVP <Terrible Idea>

Another thing that helps on the WF in just about everything you do, is to learn the buffs of the other callings and understand how their common builds work.

If your headpiece shows in your portrait, turn it off. It shows that you're low rank.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast