+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Does Overload and Tempest stack?

Default Does Overload and Tempest stack?

Does Overload and Tempest stack?

Shield of Telara

Yes, they do.

Soulwalker

The real question, is there any spec that utilizes both and isn't gimp?

Shield of Telara

No, not really, no. I used a 23/28/15 sc/ele/archmage build for a while. It was fun, but a total novelty spec. Silly high crits, but normal damage is useless and you have no survivability, not to mention the things that make stormcaller a viable PvP damage build are the things you are missing. Lightning strike is about all you can count on.

Quote Originally Posted by Acrid View Post
    Its pretty much impossible. you require 28 min to get tempest, and 15 to get overload. Thats 43 points...leaving you with 23. Only leaves you with 20 if you want intensify elements with that (I assume you do :P)
    Last edited by wallweasels; 09-26-2011 at 02:40 PM.
    the PTS exists for a reason people. Go on, give your feedback, and help make RIFT a better game.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Who really cares? I am so tried of playing the same builds over and over, I am willing to try something new just for the fun of it. Even if it is not them most optimal built.

At any rate, I was not doing too bad mixing it with chloromancer. Not the most well rounded build but was fun for a change of pace and experimentation can lead way to new ideas.
    Last edited by Jeremiahcp; 09-26-2011 at 02:44 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiahcp View Post
    Who really cares? I am so tried of playing the same builds over and over, I am willing to try something new just for the fun of it. Even if it is not them most optimal built.

At any rate, I was not doing too bad mixing it with chloromancer. Not the most well rounded build but was fun for a change of pace and experimentation can lead way to new ideas.
    Give the stormcaller build mentioned above a try. I've dabbled with it, it's probably the best tempest/overload spec. It's a one trick pony with low survivability, but one shotting people can be entertaining.

Once you have SC debuffs on + some charge. Icy carapace --> Elemental Forces + Static Flux --> Lightning Strike -->bigcritslulz

Shield of Telara

Give the stormcaller build mentioned above a try. I've dabbled with it, it's probably the best tempest/overload spec. It's a one trick pony with low survivability, but one shotting people can be entertaining.

Once you have SC debuffs on + some charge. Icy carapace --> Elemental Forces + Static Flux --> Lightning Strike -->bigcritslulz

Yeah, and I forgot you actually can get building storm + arctic blast as well. It definitely has it's moments.

Lii

Is overload working again?
    Yeti - Faeblight

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Lii View Post
    Is overload working again?
    Never stopped working for me. I heard that it didn't work for DoTs and more importantly(to me) channeled abilites. Tested this last night, same target, natural awareness up both times, void life crit for like 360 with 12 into archmage(no overload) and like 450 with overload. Haven't tested DoTS.

Ascendant

I used to do flux (to buff IC) -> icy carapace -> LS -> elemental forces(hit it right after light strike to conserve charge, still pops IC) -> LF burst a couple patches ago but it just isn't worth it anymore when 51 SC can do the same burst with far less setup without being a one trick pony. It's actually more fun too. Honestly the best tempest/overload spec is 51 ele again for icy carapace burst + 51 point is pretty lulzy but even that is pretty low tier for mage specs, though probably about on par with cleric inquisitor builds.
    Last edited by Stimuz; 09-27-2011 at 04:10 AM.

Champion

You can run something like this if you want...http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...koxoN0z.xx0R0f

Pretty solid offense in this. Opp procs are the sole benefit over the stormcaller tree. I hate hardcasting LS. The only defense is running away, and you won't be able to do it terribly well. It does have decent surviability without cooldowns because of the innate talent in elementalist and the extra hp from warlock. The main thing about this spec is that you can toss a ton of instant damage out there if you need to.

Opp proc.'d lightning strikes with double crit damage and after you pop IE if you want are absolutely hilarious. There's no build up at all. You also have draining bolt, dark fury and devouring shadows for solid instant damage, and DS crits for a solid amount even without empowered up because of the double crit bonus.

The downsides are that almost all of the points in elementalist are wasted. IE is horrible because you have very few spells worth using in elementalist. Your charge is garbage. You have no defensive cooldowns, just ice shield and a pet sac that is ehhhh.

Basically the entire goal of the spec is just LOLing at how much damage you can do with an instant cast lightning strike when you go Exposure > Opp Proc > Nenvin's > IE > Lightning Strike and your target just gets gibbed by an instant. It's not a great spec at all, but it is rather amusing.

-Jayko
    p8 Mage <Breaking Bads>

Ascendant

fyi in pvp..
    lighting burst + overload hits harder than lightning strike + opportunity + tempest

if you have a healer I would go 44+ in sc. lb hits stupid hard, and works more often than lightning strike. but play around and test for yourself.

+ Reply to Thread