+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 46
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Current Viable PvP builds (with zam links/guides)!

  1. #1
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    27

    Exclamation Current Viable PvP builds (with zam links/guides)!

    From what I understand the current viable PvP builds are:
    Chloro/Lock (Thanks Bluedot/Cane!) Guide.

    Pyro/Dom (Thanks Bleeds!) Zam.

    51Dom/15AM - Go up to 3/3 in overload in AM.

    Necro/Lock/AM (Thanks A Mage!) Two versions that seem to work are - 5/16/45, and 15/16/35. Guide.

    51Lock/15AM - Go up to 3/3 in overload in AM. Guide.

    51SC/15AM - Go up to 3/3 in overload in AM.

    SC/AM/ELE (Thanks again Bluedot/Cane!) Guide.

    51Chloro/15AM - Go up to 3/3 in overload in AM.

    Dom/Chloro - Zam. Theres lots of different versions of this spec!

    Really, really helpful vids & tips about play style/strats - http://www.dissb.com/ Dissb is a great player, and knows alot about the game.

    Note - Overload is currently bugged, and isn't affecting DoTs or AoEs! Thread/proof of bug here. Nice find Glopez!

    I've been seeing alot of newer mages asking about PvP specs, so I thought I'd make this thread. I'm sure I missed a spec or two, so post your spec here so we can help out the noobs!
    Last edited by Keon; 09-24-2011 at 03:54 PM.

  2. #2
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Great, thanks!

  3. #3
    Ascendant sanosuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,563

    Default

    funny because you say its for new mages yet most requires you to be R4+...
    should read new mages can go chlorolock, 51 dom, or chlorodom and thats it...
    Last edited by sanosuke; 09-24-2011 at 04:33 PM.
    Warfronts need segregation of the Tiers. 1-5 and 6-8 or pre-50 pvp will be the most enjoyable PVP in the game.
    Run and Gun My *Boomstick* MM PVP Guide
    The Night Bomber PVP Spec + Rogue PVP Guide Compilation
    Blood and Fire Sin/NB PVP Guide

  4. #4
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sanosuke View Post
    funny because you say its for new mages yet most requires you to be R4+...
    should read new mages can go chlorolock, 51 dom, or chlorodom and thats it...
    Just put the 10 points from AM somewhere else.

  5. #5
    Plane Walker GLopez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    482

    Default

    51 Dominator / 15 Archmage is not worth it at all. Overload is bugged and does not affect any Dominator abilities.

  6. #6
    Plane Walker Raen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keon View Post
    Just put the 10 points from AM somewhere else.
    I agree with Sano -- most DPS builds aren't viable until R4, and even then you probably won't kill anyone due to lower damage. It's hard to overcome the HPS of a cleric or chloro unless you have R6+ gear.

  7. #7
    Ascendant sanosuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raen View Post
    I agree with Sano -- most DPS builds aren't viable until R4, and even then you probably won't kill anyone due to lower damage. It's hard to overcome the HPS of a cleric or chloro unless you have R6+ gear.
    ha you beat me to it.. but yea no point in doing any of the dps builds till min R4 but nowadays since so many are R6+ you better off stick with support till R6.. it sucks but just how rift pvp is now and doesn't look like they plan on changing it...
    Last edited by sanosuke; 09-24-2011 at 04:50 PM.
    Warfronts need segregation of the Tiers. 1-5 and 6-8 or pre-50 pvp will be the most enjoyable PVP in the game.
    Run and Gun My *Boomstick* MM PVP Guide
    The Night Bomber PVP Spec + Rogue PVP Guide Compilation
    Blood and Fire Sin/NB PVP Guide

  8. #8
    Ascendant Bleeds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,475

    Default

    Good idea on this thread, and thanks for the shoutout for pyro/dom. My current spec iteration is a bit different than the one linked, but it's really up to personal preference on a lot of the talents, tbh.

    And although I agree with the last few posters that really the DPS specs aren't going to be very effective until later gear levels, I wanted to add a caveat to that...

    In PVP, I've been solely playing some version of pyro/dom since... jeez.. 1.1. In certain instances I'm probably not as helpful to my team simply because I can't/don't want to switch to chloro or stormcaller or whatever might be a more useful spec for the group makeup or whatever. I give props to people that can switch on a whim and be effective in a variety of pvp spec, because it's not really something I can or want to do.

    That being said, specifically because I've played with the same keybinds, same rotations, strategies, and whatever else for so long, I think I've slowly become far better in my specific role than someone that swaps specs in and out all the time. Don't discount what months and months of muscle memory and experience using certain skills in certain situations can do for you. It's like being able to type without looking down, once you don't have to actively "think" about the micro stuff you're doing, it frees you up to focus more on the "macro" aspects of pvp. Repetition is, honestly, one of the surest avenues to get to the next level of pvp skill.

    If I had to R1 all over again, I'd play my same spec the whole time, even though I might not be as effective as I could be every step of the way, I'll be that much better when I do get the gear to accompany the playstyle.
    Last edited by Bleeds; 09-25-2011 at 11:18 AM.

  9. #9
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    27

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Bleeds View Post
    Good idea on this thread, and thanks for the shoutout for pyro/dom. My current spec iteration is a bit different than the one linked, but it's really up to personal preference on a lot of the talents, tbh.

    And although I agree with the last few posters that really the DPS specs aren't going to be very effective until later gear levels, I wanted to add a caveat to that...

    In PVP, I've been solely playing some version of pyro/dom since... jeez.. 1.1. In certain instances I'm probably not as helpful to my team simply because I can't/don't want to switch to chloro or stormcaller or whatever might be a more useful spec for the group makeup or whatever. I give props to people that can switch on a whim and be effective in a variety of pvp spec, because it's not really something I can or want to do.

    That being said, specifically because I've played with the same keybinds, same rotations, strategies, and whatever else for so long, I think I've slowly become far better in my specific role than someone that swaps specs in and out all the time. Don't discount what months and months of muscle memory and experience using certain skills in certain situations can do for you. It's like being able to type without looking down, once you don't have to actively "think" about the micro stuff you're doing, it frees you up to focus more on the "macro" aspects of pvp. Repetition is, honestly, one of the surest avenues to get to the next level of pvp skill.

    If I had to R1 all over again, I'd play my same spec the whole time, even though I might not be as effective as I could be every step of the way, I'll be that much better when I do get the gear to accompany the playstyle.
    Well put and thanks for the response! I 100% agree about the keybinds and muscle memory! Practice and repetition are key to becoming a good player!

  10. #10
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    101

    Default

    I agree with Bleedz here.

    I have been playing my Warlock/Necro/AM build since launch, and everyday I feel there is always room for improvement. It takes 100's of warfronts and being put in certain situations to really develop your game where things just become second nature and instinctual.

    Remember, its not all about the DPS or the KB's, it should be about playing the style and character you want.
    Dissb's Blog: Tactics, Tips, Tricks and Strategeis for Rift
    www.dissb.com
    Dissb's Warlock Guide

  11. #11
    Ascendant sanosuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bleeds View Post
    Good idea on this thread, and thanks for the shoutout for pyro/dom. My current spec iteration is a bit different than the one linked, but it's really up to personal preference on a lot of the talents, tbh.

    And although I agree with the last few posters that really the DPS specs aren't going to be very effective until later gear levels, I wanted to add a caveat to that...

    In PVP, I've been solely playing some version of pyro/dom since... jeez.. 1.1. In certain instances I'm probably not as helpful to my team simply because I can't/don't want to switch to chloro or stormcaller or whatever might be a more useful spec for the group makeup or whatever. I give props to people that can switch on a whim and be effective in a variety of pvp spec, because it's not really something I can or want to do.

    That being said, specifically because I've played with the same keybinds, same rotations, strategies, and whatever else for so long, I think I've slowly become far better in my specific role than someone that swaps specs in and out all the time. Don't discount what months and months of muscle memory and experience using certain skills in certain situations can do for you. It's like being able to type without looking down, once you don't have to actively "think" about the micro stuff you're doing, it frees you up to focus more on the "macro" aspects of pvp. Repetition is, honestly, one of the surest avenues to get to the next level of pvp skill.

    If I had to R1 all over again, I'd play my same spec the whole time, even though I might not be as effective as I could be every step of the way, I'll be that much better when I do get the gear to accompany the playstyle.
    i see what your saying but you are limiting yourself to one spec hence cutting half of what makes this game great out.. i think its a lot more fun to run about 3 pvp specs at any given time.. what I found helps the best if you have specs which use some of the same or similar skills just make sure to bind them to the same keys to help with your muscle memory... multiple roles can help a battlegroup so much more especially if the group is overloaded with dps or heals or whatever.. but obviously you need to be skilled with all the roles:P
    Last edited by sanosuke; 09-25-2011 at 11:39 AM.
    Warfronts need segregation of the Tiers. 1-5 and 6-8 or pre-50 pvp will be the most enjoyable PVP in the game.
    Run and Gun My *Boomstick* MM PVP Guide
    The Night Bomber PVP Spec + Rogue PVP Guide Compilation
    Blood and Fire Sin/NB PVP Guide

  12. #12
    Ascendant Bleeds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sanosuke View Post
    i see what your saying but you are limiting yourself to one spec hence cutting half of what makes this game great out.. i think its a lot more fun to run about 3 pvp specs at any given time.. what I found helps the best if you have specs which use some of the same or similar skills just make sure to bind them to the same keys to help with your muscle memory... multiple roles can help a battlegroup so much more especially if the group is overloaded with dps or heals or whatever.. but obviously you need to be skilled with all the roles:P
    Yeah, part of my specific issue is that I use both hands on keyboard, so AOE heavy specs aren't really going to work without completely relearning my control scheme.

    My main point really was I wouldn't necessarily always play what's absolutely best at this moment, play what you like even if you're gear's not quite there yet, and grow into it.
    Last edited by Bleeds; 09-25-2011 at 12:05 PM.

  13. #13
    Ascendant sanosuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bleeds View Post
    Yeah, part of my specific issue is that I use both hands on keyboard, so AOE heavy specs aren't really going to work without completely relearning my control scheme.

    My main point really was I wouldn't necessarily always play what's absolutely best at this moment, play what you like even if you're gear's not quite there yet, and grow into it.
    the issue is say you have a dps spec you love and played from 1-49.. then you hit 50 well your pretty much screwed no matter how good you are with it(sad but the gear imbalance between even R4 and R8 is just crazy..).. problem is sure i could sit there play 1000 warfronts with a dps spec and not kill anyone but newbie 50s and drive myself crazy trying to rank up dying over and over getting frustrated that I'm not helping my team OR i could play a support spec such as DOM and be beneficial to the team and actually see myself contributing to winning the warfront then once I get R6-8 switch out for DPS and melt some faces... you don't really get much better at a spec when you die in less than 5 seconds anyway...
    Last edited by sanosuke; 09-25-2011 at 12:24 PM.
    Warfronts need segregation of the Tiers. 1-5 and 6-8 or pre-50 pvp will be the most enjoyable PVP in the game.
    Run and Gun My *Boomstick* MM PVP Guide
    The Night Bomber PVP Spec + Rogue PVP Guide Compilation
    Blood and Fire Sin/NB PVP Guide

  14. #14
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    369

    Default

    A decent 51 lock spec for lower levels would be 51lock/10ele/5am. It was pretty damn effective for me until rank 4 when I started using other stuff. This was before rank 8 however, so it may not be as good as it used to be. Wait for opportunity, pop ED, drain bolt, instant lightning, dark fury is pretty good burst. You also get crit to make up for lower gear levels, ice shield and some damage reduction.

  15. #15
    Rift Master A Mage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    692

    Default

    Pretty much what Bleeds said. I second the 51lock/10ele/5am build - thats what I used for a while before hitting R5-6.

    And its very possible to be an effective DPS with 51lock, even at lower ranks!

    Also, thanks for mentioning my build!
    Last edited by A Mage; 09-26-2011 at 05:45 PM.
    Xail - R41 Mage
    Guardian
    <We Are Legend>

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts