+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Swordfishy

Thread: Life bound Veil and Life giving Veil... why even have Life bound?

Telaran

Default Life bound Veil and Life giving Veil... why even have Life bound?

I'm new to the game, so maybe I'm missing something. What the hell is the point of having Life bound veil when life giving is all around superior?

Bonuses of life bound
    -Heals up to 5 party members in 20 meters for 15% of life dmg done
    -All other spell types heal for 5%
    -AoE dmg has healing reduced by 80%
    -Life DoT heals for 25% of the first tick

Llife giving
    -Heals up to 5 party members in 20 meters for 80% life dmg done.
    -All other spell types heal for 5%
    -AoE dmg has healing reduced by 80%
    -Life DoT heals for 90% of the first tick

Seriously Life Giving is all around terribad in comparison but so many talents focus on it. Wth is with that?
    Last edited by Luix; 09-04-2011 at 07:44 PM.

LifeBound Veil + Synth = Tank healing like a bause
    LifeGiving for raid heals

It's not that hard to figure out after reading all the talents

LifeBound = MT healing
    LifeGiving = Raid healing

Thats the idea anyway.
    Last edited by ArchivistCarrion; 09-04-2011 at 07:45 PM.
    JD - Formerly Archivist
    ||P8 Mage||11/11 HK||
    Breaking Bads @ Seastone
    Recruiting 1 Warrior or Rogue Tank - Apply on the Website!!

Telaran

We really need less stupid mages on this board...

Go away, read Synthsis and how it works with its buff, then read the other. 1 is for tank healing, the other is for raid.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Zaios View Post

Go away, read Synthsis and how it works with its buff, then read the other. 1 is for tank healing, the other is for raid.
    God forbid a new mage asking a question on the mage boards. LOLL2P NEWB ME > YOU
    DK of The Fast and the Fairyous: Tokyo Rift

Shield of Telara

I can see both sides of the argument, but really, people should read their abilities before coming to the forums.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by sakkath View Post
    I can see both sides of the argument, but really, people should read their abilities before coming to the forums.
    Regardless, he is trying to better himself. It's like when fat people go to the gym, even if they only get 1 rep on the benchpress doing the bar--at least it's something.
    DK of The Fast and the Fairyous: Tokyo Rift

Quote Originally Posted by Swordfishy View Post
    Regardless, he is trying to better himself. It's like when fat people go to the gym, even if they only get 1 rep on the benchpress doing the bar--at least it's something.
    Yeah but the info is already here. A quick forum search will turn up the (daily) answer to this question. Basically OP, the proof is in the pudding. Try healing a dungeon with LGV and then after the first fail pull, put synth on the tank (auto lbv) and use the appropriate lbv skills (void life and NT) to heal.

Part of the issue seems to be that, when you first get Lifebound Veil, it does seem to be fairly useless. I just started playing around with a Necro/Chloro spec today and even putting the very next point into synthesis, Lifegiving seems to heal many times more than Lifebound does on its Synthesis target. (This comes from combat log numbers first testing Lifegiving and then testing Lifebound and looking at the heals on the Synthesis target from casting the same spells as I did under Lifegiving.)

Granted, I'm level 23, so it may be that to really see any benefit you need to be higher in the Chloromancer tree and get the additional % heal. If that is the case, though, why even have Lifebound available so early? Unless I'm missing something and misreading the log during my tests, there is no reason I'd want to use it at this point.

If you are at 50 and respeccing or if you are just planning that far ahead, sure you can see where it becomes a decent Synthesis-target heal, but for a new player just leveling up it is almost confusing by design. That was why I started searching the forums for threads explaining the theory and looking for some key I was missing.

So am I missing something, or is Lifebound Veil just not something you would want to use until after you can get enough points in for the upgrades?

Quote Originally Posted by Zaios View Post

Congrats, and how are these new mages going to know automatically that synth + LBV is for tank healing, or that they need synth at all?

The tooltips for chloro are really unclear, and the information is just badly placed. So I don't blame people for being confused.

On the other hand, this thread is made once a week, so a forum search would have probably helped more then a new thread, but i'd rather him make a new thread, then try healing an instance as chloro and have a horrible experiance because he was too afraid to ask for help.

For reference, for any new mages who have basic questions, im always happy to help if you want to find me in game.

Guaritor - Shatterbone.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Tanek View Post
    Part of the issue seems to be that, when you first get Lifebound Veil, it does seem to be fairly useless. I just started playing around with a Necro/Chloro spec today and even putting the very next point into synthesis, Lifegiving seems to heal many times more than Lifebound does on its Synthesis target. (This comes from combat log numbers first testing Lifegiving and then testing Lifebound and looking at the heals on the Synthesis target from casting the same spells as I did under Lifegiving.)

Granted, I'm level 23, so it may be that to really see any benefit you need to be higher in the Chloromancer tree and get the additional % heal. If that is the case, though, why even have Lifebound available so early? Unless I'm missing something and misreading the log during my tests, there is no reason I'd want to use it at this point.
    As a leveling mage, Lifebound doesn't shine until you at *least* have Nature's Touch, and it really shines once you have 3/3 Natural Fusion as well (Increases the bonus to heals from LBV provided by your Synthesis by 80%). Until then, a leveling mage is better off using LGV.

Of course, if you have mobs running loose hitting random people, or it's a heavy aoe fight - you can generally scrape by on tank heals while running Lifegiving... it's just a whole lot safer to use Lifebound if your tank is your main concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyla1 View Post
    As a leveling mage, Lifebound doesn't shine until you at *least* have Nature's Touch, and it really shines once you have 3/3 Natural Fusion as well (Increases the bonus to heals from LBV provided by your Synthesis by 80%). Until then, a leveling mage is better off using LGV.
    I guess that is my point. Why give a skill early on that is, by all accounts I have read, useless until later? I don't mind getting a skill I plan on improving when I have more points, but I want all skills to have some basic usefulness, too. Vile Spores can be improved, but you would not tell someone they should just shelve it for 10 or 15 levels until it can shine.

As I said before, this might be fine for someone respeccing at 50, but for a new mage it is confusing when the game gives you a spell you should not use. I'm not familiar with the other classes and their abilities yet, but do any others do this?

+ Reply to Thread