+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: PVP Pyro/Dom - more powerful then I thought

Default PVP Pyro/Dom - more powerful then I thought

The spec: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z....MsVzVkqMbk.xh

My mage is in R2 gear (I raid more then I pvp).
    I fought an R6 cleric in my guild and it ended up in a stalemate. I didn't have the damage to finish her off through healing and she didn't have the mana to finish me off after I drained it all.
    Various stuns, roots, and snares helped with that too.

My usage:

Transmogrify (giving +50% cast speed for 5 sec) -> Storm Shackle -> Haunting Pain -> Transference -> TI -> Mana Wrench

At this point they're pretty screwed. If melee, Burn; if a caster, Arresting Presence; if a healer, Priest's Lament + Void Shroud.
    Accelerated Decay somewhere in there if you have time to pop it off.

Flicker gives me a 20 sec CD get-out-of-jail-free-card, plus getting me the heck away from melee. Especially useful right after I use Death's Edict or SS on them.

All the while I'm throwing fireballs at them and if Cinder Burst procs, turn Internalize Charge on before throwing it at them.
    Another nice combo for the melee is Burning Bonds and then Death's Edict after it's done. If they actually manage to get to me I'll just Flicker away and Burn them again or SS.
    If chasing someone down, Flame Bolt, Countdown, Thunder Blast, Dark Touch, and Inferno (if they're below 30% hp) can all be cast on the run.

In all cases I found casting Death's Edict and then Reconstruct was a great way to fill up the hp bar a bit.
    And if it really hits the fan, out come the shades.

I think I'm sticking with this one.
    Last edited by Dwindarf; 09-04-2011 at 01:31 PM.
    T H E C H R O N I C L E S O F D W I N D A R F

31/31/4AM is the correct build. Opportunity is pointless with Controlled Opportunity

http://www.twitch.tv/Screamoaktown - Live streaming 5v5's
    Skreamo@Greybriar
    <Wasted Talent>

Quote Originally Posted by lol u mad? View Post
    31/31/4AM is the correct build. Opportunity is pointless with Controlled Opportunity
    You mean Swift Control right?
    Opportunity may have a reduced effectiveness, but you get hp-mana and charge-hp conversions which I found extremely useful if you stun the target and pop Reconstruct.

This build is very vulnerable against MM, even in group situations. You've got no real protection against them, especially while they're under cleanse soul. And they can dispel your most important stuff (heat wave, split personality, reflective presence).

Otherwise it's a great offensive build, especially in groups. It's got a great burst, probably the best for mages although it relies a lot on cooldowns. But you've still got dom cc and mana drains while split personality and heatwave are on cooldown.
    Last edited by Deathwhisperzz; 09-04-2011 at 02:54 PM.

There's nothing you get from those points in WL that even comes close to Heat Wave, plus you're losing 12% dmg and break free from skipping the 4 in Archmage. Plus you're losing another 2.4% dmg to your fire spells, and whatever talents you'd get with the extra 4 in pyro.

Try 31 31 4. And welcome to the pyrodom club!

Also, Death's right about MM - prolly the most frustrating class to go against is a MM that has a hard on for me. Stay near healers, stay near LOS objects, wait for their defensives to drop then sheep, shackle, CB, etc, and hope you get them before they get you. Not sure how effective TI and Transf energy drains are on them, but if I'm running and need an instant I usually drop it on em.
    Last edited by Bleeds; 09-04-2011 at 04:32 PM.

hey Bleeds why do you not take Arresting Presence?
    Warfronts need segregation of the Tiers. 1-5 and 6-8 or pre-50 pvp will be the most enjoyable PVP in the game.
    Run and Gun My *Boomstick* MM PVP Guide
    The Night Bomber PVP Spec + Rogue PVP Guide Compilation
    Blood and Fire Sin/NB PVP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Bleeds View Post
    There's nothing you get from those points in WL that even comes close to Heat Wave, plus you're losing 12% dmg and break free from skipping the 4 in Archmage. Plus you're losing another 2.4% dmg to your fire spells, and whatever talents you'd get with the extra 4 in pyro.

Try 31 31 4. And welcome to the pyrodom club!

Also, Death's right about MM - prolly the most frustrating class to go against is a MM that has a hard on for me. Stay near healers, stay near LOS objects, wait for their defensives to drop then sheep, shackle, CB, etc, and hope you get them before they get you. Not sure how effective TI and Transf energy drains are on them, but if I'm running and need an instant I usually drop it on em.
    So basically no healing myself until the fight's over.
    Guess going all out offense is the best defense then. Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by sanosuke View Post
    hey Bleeds why do you not take Arresting Presence?
    Good ? actually. 90% of it is that I already have 2 very good charge dumps, and frankly, having 3 just is a bit too much for me, plus I have like, nowhere else to put additional keybinds that aren't really inconvenient to reach. Also I did realize that i've changed a few points around in my build that isn't reflected in my sig, so fixed that.

So really it's my limitation versus it not being a good situational to have. That being said, there are really no wasted points in Dom, so the extra point gets put to good use for sure.

And to the OP, the sheep/reconstruct combo actually sounds pretty good, and I could see it being really helpful from time to time. Try both, see what works best for you, but believe me that Heat Wave is amazing, especially when stacked with the cast speed buff after a sheep. I'll generally Sheep someone, pop Heat Wave, then go to town with Cinder, FB FB FB etc. Plus, it lowers the GCD for all your spells, so you can throw all your instant dom debuff casts up on someone reeeeally fast.

You'll find that with Heat Wave, you're able to straight surprise burst a lot of healers that otherwise would have to be mana drained completely.
    Last edited by Bleeds; 09-04-2011 at 05:43 PM.

Maybe for 1v1.

Why in gods name would you NOT spec 51 dom?

Mass Betrayal is just too good, sorry, I don't even care if I die alot, if I have the split second to get off TI and MB and watching everyones mana/energy get screewed, that's plenty enough satisfaction for me.

good point Pes.

One sec, respeccing, I suggest everyone not 51 dom do the same.

51dom is nice but I just can't stand being stuck with using pillaging stone or neural prod after I've set up all the debuffs and blown coolodowns on things like SS/TI/MB :- (
    Valery@Zaviel - Mage | Valzz - Cleric | Soulsky - Rogue | Introvert - Warrior
    Everything you need to know for Mage: www.valvalval.net

The only advantages of 51 dom compared to 31 dom are mental shock and mass betrayal. The first one is nice in a 1v1 situation against a rogue / warrior, otherwise, even against a healer, I don't see the point of stunning him 5 sec while you coud silence his whole team for 8 sec. It's got some situational use but isn't worth the extra 7 points imo.

Mass betrayal is great against PuGs, but against premades people will use AoE cleanses or magic immunities and will remove it extremely fast. It might be good if you've got locks spreading DoTs in your team, making dispel more difficult, but it still isn't worth the extra 20 points. You lose too much in order to get MB.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Deathwhisperzz View Post
    The only advantages of 51 dom compared to 31 dom are mental shock and mass betrayal. The first one is nice in a 1v1 situation against a rogue / warrior, otherwise, even against a healer, I don't see the point of stunning him 5 sec while you coud silence his whole team for 8 sec. It's got some situational use but isn't worth the extra 7 points imo.

Mass betrayal is great against PuGs, but against premades people will use AoE cleanses or magic immunities and will remove it extremely fast. It might be good if you've got locks spreading DoTs in your team, making dispel more difficult, but it still isn't worth the extra 20 points. You lose too much in order to get MB.
    Disorient's stun doesn't DR the mez, 11s dura CC in PvP is not too shabby, when you can follow it with another 4s squirrel.

Soulwalker

Damn, I respecced to PyroDom and PvP is fun again Thanks for sharing!

Rift Disciple

Played 51 dom since day 1.

I have always thought that the extra points to get Draining Presence/Mass Betrayal were worth it. Double tapping DP back in the day to keep 5-10 stacks on a whole raid of people was amazing.

A well timed MB will screw even a premade up. Just have to be smart about when you use it and what you are using at the same time. For one, drop Grasping Void on a group of people and they all get a bunch of stacks of it on them... follow up with a MB so it's hiding behind stacks of GV. Sure, they can dispel it, but it's going to take 4-5 GCD's now.

Disorient is, like someone mentioned, a 11s CC. How is that not good? Poly someone, use the speed buff to cast Disorient on someone in the back lines of their group and he's out of the fight.

I have always played this as the CC/debuffer, if I'm killing a lot of people it's because they are being dumb (running with SS on, spamming **** with TI/MB up, nuking me while I have RP).

There are probably "better" specs out there, which is why I roll with 35dom/21pyro/10am if I feel like blowing **** up, but 51dom/15am/0archon is by far my favorite spec. It's the reason why I play this game.
    Helgi - Win

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast