+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pvp Mage Build - Mobility+Burst based

Default Pvp Mage Build - Mobility+Burst based

Since i've been having alot of fun on this build i figured i would share it for anyone else who is tired of playing Chlorolock/domi to try out and have a raz' a mataz on

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...Lk.etco.xx0M0c

What you get with this build :

A decent amount of survivability - You have shadow life, Neddras essence,Ice shield, Rune Shield and detaunt for when things get hairy, I don't have the codex trinket yet due to reputation restrictions so i run the whitefall brigade badge fo the absorb shield. Chaining either ice shield/rune shield or trinket with either detaunt or Ned essence is very nice for getting out of sticky jams when you don't want to blow shadow life (Or have lingering wounds on your face). Along with having the mitigation from elemental link you can take a fair few extra hits without having to fallback on heals as often.

Good burst - Crystalline missiles and icy carapace apply very nice damage especially if opportunity procs and you can throw down and instant cast lightning strike. I stick to only ever standing casting missiles if i am allowed to free cast, otherwise it is better to be applying dots+dark fury/draining bolt and using your charge on elemental forces (elemental forces can proc icy carapace )

If the target already had dark touch/nedd grasp and you aren't able to free cast and have to stay on the move spamming ignite with elemental forces going until you get a lightning strike from opportunity is the best way to go. On another note crystalline missiles has a travel time - allowing you to cast it and then apply icy carapace allowing you to circumvent a global cooldown.

AoE greatness : This build performs extremely well at putting down aoe pressure on the enemy team and giving the healers more than a handful to deal with. (exceptionally good in black garden when everyone clusterbums the middle)

First of all at max range throw down your grasp and dark touch and radiate death it to spread it around, then you place down burning grown in the middle and proceed to channel devouring shadows over the exact same area, While chanelling i will usually cycle through target to get hold of an enemy healer or someone at half health or low enough to burst down with a missile/carapace lightning strike burst. It is really really useful at clearing groups of enemies if you have one or two other guys concentrating their aoe's in the same spot/spreading lingering wounds

Ease of kiting : Half of your spells don't require you to even be facing the enemy, so when you are Bee-lining to the back lines after aggroing a nasty rogue/warrior you can bunnyhop away while spamming dots and debuffs - Lightning strike also does not need you to be facing them either.

As for opportunity procs rule of thumb i usually use LS but if you need to put down disturbance from people taking points/fangs/sourcestones it is handy to throw down instant cast burning grounds - Also burning ground is nice when kiting melee people around in small circles.

CC and utility : You still have a nice bag of tricks to pop out on people, silence/fear/encase/wither can come in great use but i usually shy away from encase/wither due to DR. Silence is extremely useful for taking down healers or giving you a free cast period versus another mage.

Macros : The use of macros really isn't needed in this build although i do run some to make life a bit easier rather than playing the piano to do damage to people.

Macro 1 (Standing cast damage)

cast [shift] icy carapace
    cast crystalline missiles
    cast icy carapace

^ By default this will cast missiles but when on the move it will skip straight to carapace, so usually after casting missiles i will strafe left or right and tap it again to get carapace on the enemy before the missiles hit them. [shift] is in the macro for when opportunity procs. If opportunity does go off unless you are at max max distance you will still have a GCD and will beunable to carapace them therefor this allows you to slap it on them and then instant cast missiles.

Macro 2 (Instant damage)

cast draining bolt
    cast dark fury

This build doesn't make use of these two spells for the stun or hp but utilizes them for the instant applicable damage. Draining bolt is in first for the travel time and dark fury second because it is instant damage, therefor double hitting the macro makes both skills hit the target at the same time.

Macro 3 (LS and Filler)

cast lightning strike
    cast ignite

Same theory as the missiles macro, when on the move it will cast ignite, when stationary/opportunity it will cast lightning strike. This is what i spam when DT+Grasp are on the enemy and carapace is on cooldown if i'm mobile. Ignite with elemental forces running applies decent instant damage to the enemy and refreshes the dot debuff on the enemy making it harder to cleanse off other debuffs.

Macro 4 (Radiate)

Cast Neddra's grasp
    cast Radiate death

Doesn't need much explaining, DT the target then hit this macro twice to spread it to nearby peoples. Usually i will use it on the first gung-ho warrior to run into our lines and then as soon as he realizes he has to run back to get heals i will pop the radiate into the main enemy group followed by my usual aoe rotation if i am not under attack.

Another neat little trick to pull is if you find yourself having an angry high rank warrior in your face, throw up your ice shield start kiting then DT and grasp him, put ignite on and a carapace and then detaunt him (shadow life/nedd essence if he is hitting you REAL hard and you need it to survive) - Your dots/warlock armour/grasp will still damage them without breaking detaunt, after they notice you aren't dropping you then turn around and explode the carapace on is face and continue to pewpew him. Works a treat versus f1 faceroll bandits

My mage is only p4 atm but i am having extremely good results with this build, finished a black garden last night with twice the damage done as the next guy down and pulled out 14 killing blows and 1 death. There was a p8 and a p7 warrior on the opposing team.

Any feedback or if anybody can see anything to improve the build or would like to add their experiences or if they use a similar build feel free to comment, i welcome all constructive feedback with open arms.
    Last edited by AintEvenMadBro; 09-04-2011 at 08:45 AM.
    Freyn likes boys in hotpants.

Rapsodia - p6 Stromcooler. I'm in ur warfrunts, hittin u for faive thousandz

Why not 51 Lock?
    JD - Formerly Archivist
    ||P8 Mage||11/11 HK||
    Breaking Bads @ Seastone
    Recruiting 1 Warrior or Rogue Tank - Apply on the Website!!

Looks interesting. I will load it up and see how it goes. Little lower than you in rank so have to see if it can take a hit.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchivistCarrion View Post
    Why not 51 Lock?
    Because i like trying quirky fun builds that aren't really seen that much

I've tried 51 lock and it's an alright spec i just feel like alot of the damage from lock other than devouring shadow spam is very easy to heal through and cleanse. I find it a bit clunky and not as much survivability as the build i am running.

Also i like seeing missiles crit for 900, carapace crit for 1.1k followed by a 1.5-2k LS crit in a matter of 2 and a half global cooldowns with only 980 spell power :P

I can't wait to get p6 and p8 and check out how this build runs it is really fun to play, but that's just my opinion, i recommend trying it out ^^
    Last edited by AintEvenMadBro; 09-04-2011 at 09:14 AM.

Default Looks interesting

I'm going to give this a shot later tonight, tbh, been looking for a different build to try out. Thanks for posting bro.

Here's a better version of your build I used to run before Lightning Burst was added, which IMO made it a bit obsolete. The point was to hit people with an Opportunity proc then burst them down quickly, while applying WV with void bolts, Draining bolts and lightning strikes. I haven't played it in a while so I'm not sure if it works anymore. 51 Warlock also scales better with gear.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...k.V0c.xx0M0c0V

http://www.twitch.tv/Screamoaktown - Live streaming 5v5's
    Skreamo@Greybriar
    <Wasted Talent>

Out of curiosity how is that better? I was running 38 warlock at lower ranks since i didn't have the correct rank to get overload/disastrous consequences and found that defile wasn't all that great of a damage source for the charge investment since it doesn't do the last two ticks of damage?

Also im not sure you really need the crit bonus from potency since at p4 im already on like 42% crit rate in pvp without a bard? I can see how withering veins might be useful but then again if a warrior is on your team LW is more than likely going to be on anyone worth their salt hitting, not to mention having to stand and cast void bolt over and over to get the stacks on them i can see myself becoming a very easy target to pick off, along with not having elemental link and ice shield im not sure if i could play that build without raging about insta dropping

Although if there is some hidden merrit that i'm overlooking from your 38/8/20 build then i am dumfounded about how it is "better" O_o

Quote Originally Posted by AintEvenMadBro View Post
    Out of curiosity how is that better? I was running 38 warlock at lower ranks since i didn't have the correct rank to get overload/disastrous consequences and found that defile wasn't all that great of a damage source for the charge investment since it doesn't do the last two ticks of damage?

Also im not sure you really need the crit bonus from potency since at p4 im already on like 42% crit rate in pvp without a bard? I can see how withering veins might be useful but then again if a warrior is on your team LW is more than likely going to be on anyone worth their salt hitting, not to mention having to stand and cast void bolt over and over to get the stacks on them i can see myself becoming a very easy target to pick off, along with not having elemental link and ice shield im not sure if i could play that build without raging about insta dropping

Although if there is some hidden merrit that i'm overlooking from your 38/8/20 build then i am dumfounded about how it is "better" O_o
    It's mostly because It's been Min/maxed. Your point spread is kind of a mess and alot are dumped into things that have no real use in a Warfront. You should never be casting CM...ever. There's no scenario where trying to setup that combo would be better than just spamming Void Bolts praying for an opportunity proc, or spammng dots. Don't underestimate defile as a pressure adding tool to be used with radiate death + Shadows spam. You have nothing else to use the charge for anyway.

Also, Don't rely on Warriors to heal debuff for you, most of them are terrible players. Worry about what you can do to win.

This is all relative though as I don't think this build is viable anymore anyway. If you want to lulz snipe soft targes just play 44 SC. Anything else you would argue to use this build for I'd just ask why you weren't going 51 Warlock.

Skreamo@Greybriar
    <Wasted Talent>

Also if you're at 42% Crit rate at P4 without a bard then you aren't stacking nearly enough SP

Skreamo@Greybriar
    <Wasted Talent>

The extra points in elementalist is to get elemental forces along with survivability, but mainly elemental forces - allowing you to proc carapace on any other spell, it usually procs 1/3 and it can even proc when applying the carapace - which hits harder than void bolt while being able to use it on the move, that's the whole point of the build , never having to stay stationary to put out damage, the crystalline missiles is for when people herp and allow you to stand and cast, but usually burning ground and devouring shadows does fine

I have just shy of 1k sp at p4 and i find the crit i run with in decent balance with it, and will only increase at higher rank.

What points am i using that are dumped randomly into things that have no use in warfronts? From what i can tell the spread is working effectively as it is but if you have some advice about moving some points around, please don't hesitate to say.

Shadowlander

i have 1 idea

i droped 1 point in wl > pu it in sacrafice and macroed it up with insta summon = 1k self heal

like this build

+ Reply to Thread