+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spell Crit Soft/Hard caps...Am I hitting it?

Default Spell Crit Soft/Hard caps...Am I hitting it?

I'm unbuffed sitting at
    1447 spell power
    950 spell crit (36.02%)

No talents added.

Here's what I know so far,

Soft Cap - Maximum undiminished bonus of 45% from spell crit rating.
    Hard Cap - Maximum diminished bonus of an additional 15% from spell crit rating. (Total 60%)

That's just what I think but other people seem to think differently. They believe it to be a Spell Crit Percentage Cap rather than Spell Crit Rating Cap so:

Soft Cap - Maximum undiminished bonus of 45%.
    Hard Cap - Maximum diminished bonus of 60%.

I'm really start to contemplate this now because of the synergy crystals. I have my 2 piece and I have the currency for a synergy crystal.

1. Would the Warlock crystal 2 piece bonus not be effective since I'm around 60% crit raid buffed already?

2. Is Improved Fireball not worth speccing into after I reach a certain gear threshold?

3. Do either of those crystal's 2 piece bonus give a larger dps increase than the Prestige Rank 8 4 piece bonus of 75 spellpower?

4. Which crystal to get? I'm debating among four crystals.
    Warlock
    Pyromancer
    Dominator
    Stormcaller

aux

The soft and hard cap only applies to your base crit rating. Buffs and stuff will always stack. That is, buffs that modify crit chance directly, not int buffs...
    Last edited by aux; 09-03-2011 at 04:14 PM.
    I'm so BORED

Quote Originally Posted by aux View Post
    The soft and hard cap only applies to your base crit rating. Buffs and stuff will always stack. That is, buffs that modify crit chance directly, not int buffs...
    See, thats what I think too but in ACT i can't get above 65% crit on my fireballs when i have 60% buffed and the 15% talent...

aux

Quote Originally Posted by ChinesePanda View Post
    See, thats what I think too but in ACT i can't get above 65% crit on my fireballs when i have 60% buffed and the 15% talent...
    I checked a few logs from some GSB in the past 2 weeks, and my fireball shows crit rates of up to 70%. Maybe you've just been unlucky with your tests?
    I'm so BORED

I had 77% Fireball crit rate on Plutonus this week and my unbuffed stats are lower than yours.
    The other Pyro we had is geared inbetween us and he had 81% Fireball crit rate.
    Last edited by Primalthirst; 09-03-2011 at 06:07 PM.
    Nope.

Champion

I think (not 100% positive) that ACT also treats the DoT that Fireballs leave as "Fireball", because I believe that the tick is also called Fireball. I could be wrong, I'm trying to remember what the scrolling damage message says.

If that is the case, it makes sense that it would lower your crit because the combustion DOT shouldn't have the improved crit (at least I don't think so).

On a side note, I'm assuming those stats are before enchanting all of your gear with focus items for Akylios? If it is, then don't worry about the cap because you aren't going to hit it. ;)
    Last edited by FireWraith; 09-04-2011 at 11:33 PM.

GSB: 5/5, RoS: 4/4, HK: 10/11
    GP: 4/4, DH: 4/4

lgw

Actually if you're using shoulders, chest, legs and feet from P8 for SC, and head, gloves from PVE for focus, you are getting kinda close to the soft cap (1180 crit rating ?!) fully raidbuffed.

And yeah, ACT mashes many things into one ability more often than not. Like Artic Blast having 50% miss due the boss being immune to slow and stuff.
    ... aka schoklat. PVP nerd - gaming vet.
    First of slackers, herder of trolls.
    Wildstar PVP inc

Prophet of Telara

My fireballs have about a 75% crit rate.

The cap is on spell crit rating (from gear) only.

As far as I'm concerned, all additives to crit% (meaning not int modifiers) dont apply to the crit cap.

And for picking your synergy crystal, I would plan for the 4 set bonus and not worry about 2 set bonus...like you said you always have the rank 8 crystal to fall back on.

Personally I think the Warlock synergy crystal seems to be the best 2/4 piece bonus as a whole. Im quite confident the 2 piece set bonus for the warlock crystal does not apply to the hard cap, however im not 100%sure, I need to find some time to get on the PTS and compare them in depth.

Rift Disciple

Crit soft cap is around 1200 rating and only int buffs will be diminished. fanfare of knowledge, vitality of stone, resonance etc.

Once you hit the crit soft cap it takes 5x more crit rating to get 1%.

+ Reply to Thread