+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newbie Mage PvP?

Shadowlander

Default Newbie Mage PvP?

More questions from you lovely mages out there.

Is it possible to pvp before 50 as a mage and *not die constantly*?

Granted I'm new to pvp period, but finding builds and advice for -50 pvping isn't proving very fruitful. I've found builds I like (mainly http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...q.b.EdIhmN0zRo) but I don't know where to prioritize my points here at my level (27). Do specs like this even work under 50?

Thank you for any and all help, your thank-you cookies should be arriving shortly. If you don't feel like helping well...look for me in the next Codex. I should be an easy KB

Quote Originally Posted by BlueEyedRhapsody View Post
    More questions from you lovely mages out there.

Is it possible to pvp before 50 as a mage and *not die constantly*?

Granted I'm new to pvp period, but finding builds and advice for -50 pvping isn't proving very fruitful. I've found builds I like (mainly http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...q.b.EdIhmN0zRo) but I don't know where to prioritize my points here at my level (27). Do specs like this even work under 50?

Thank you for any and all help, your thank-you cookies should be arriving shortly. If you don't feel like helping well...look for me in the next Codex. I should be an easy KB
    Mages are always strong in pvp. At 50 you need gear to really have fun (who would have thought herp derp) but at the lower brackets you'll be fine with some shiny blues from the pvp vendors or the auction house. Warriors are kind of freaking out, too, but mages really are badass in those brackets. Just take a common pvp spec and alter it to suit your level.

Once you know what you're doing, you should be very fine. Despite everyone saying skill doesn't matter, I'm sure it does. A proper spec and knowing how to play it will make you a true beast.

On the spec of your choice: I played something similar with my little mage alt (I got a p8 main, too. That might help the skill thing ) and it worked quite alright. Of course you're lacking valor, which hurts tanky builds a little. I prefer some more aggressive attempts.

Might as well start to learn about Dominator. That is always good and once you master it, you'll always get your easy share of KBs - and hate from your enemies ^^

Rift Chaser

Deep warlock is what you want.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zvR0.ex0hksRoz.xd at level 27 is probably what i'd go for for a pvp build. The warlock points are kind of mixed and mashed, but you want neddra's grasp and radiate death. Use entropic veil as your charge dump. Also, make a macro for devouring shadows:

#show Devouring Shadows
    suppressmacrofailures
    stopcast
    cast Devouring Shadows

The reason you do this is for void bolt/devouring shadows combos. Basically, on a single target, you load them up with your dots (life leech, dark touch, neddra's grasp), cast a void bolt, and after the bolt is cast, start casting devouring shadows. You'll get a tick of devouring as the void bolt hits, and then another tick of devouring. You hit the macro again and you can instantly hit for another tick of devouring. It takes some practice, but if you do it right, you can absolutely slaughter people.

You can also combine this with Necromancer for the pet and extra dot instead of chloromancer. Once you get into your 40's, necrolock becomes very good, because you can go something like 38lock/16necro for Soul Purge in addition to the dots.

Either way, IMO warlock is the way to go, in both lowbie and max-level pvp right now. Either that or just go straight chloro for heals.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrocaster View Post
    Deep warlock is what you want.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zvR0.ex0hksRoz.xd at level 27 is probably what i'd go for for a pvp build. The warlock points are kind of mixed and mashed, but you want neddra's grasp and radiate death. Use entropic veil as your charge dump. Also, make a macro for devouring shadows:

#show Devouring Shadows
    suppressmacrofailures
    stopcast
    cast Devouring Shadows

The reason you do this is for void bolt/devouring shadows combos. Basically, on a single target, you load them up with your dots (life leech, dark touch, neddra's grasp), cast a void bolt, and after the bolt is cast, start casting devouring shadows. You'll get a tick of devouring as the void bolt hits, and then another tick of devouring. You hit the macro again and you can instantly hit for another tick of devouring. It takes some practice, but if you do it right, you can absolutely slaughter people.

You can also combine this with Necromancer for the pet and extra dot instead of chloromancer. Once you get into your 40's, necrolock becomes very good, because you can go something like 38lock/16necro for Soul Purge in addition to the dots.

Either way, IMO warlock is the way to go, in both lowbie and max-level pvp right now. Either that or just go straight chloro for heals.
    Very true.

I had a couple matches the other day with my healing cleric (lvl 49) where a witchstone pimped WL even managed to destroy me 1on1 if I couldn't cleanse myself from the beginning or out-los him. Usually no mage can really kill me, except a well played dominator of course.

So yeah, WL hurts. Be a WL! ^^

+ Reply to Thread