+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pyromancer leveling

Soulwalker

Default Pyromancer leveling

My mage is at 31, and was a Necro/War/Dom spec. I have been getting pretty bored with the spec and I am looking to try the Pyromancer soul.

I have searched for information on how to level as a pyromancer so I just went ahead as started putting points in (I like to think I have a reasonable knowledge of where to stick stuff). The elementalist pet seems to be the main thing used for survivabilty although it cannot level past 30. I understand I could use it for the next couple of levels, however after then it will not be usable.

What can I do to run a pyromancer spec without the elementalist pet? Is it possible? Can someone help me with a spec so I can try it out and outline me to some survivabilty points I would inevitably be having if I was rocking a pyro spec?

Thanks in advance.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Monopolio View Post
    What can I do to run a pyromancer spec without the elementalist pet? Is it possible? Can someone help me with a spec so I can try it out and outline me to some survivabilty points I would inevitably be having if I was rocking a pyro spec?

Thanks in advance.
    the answer to your questions in order:

1. Nothing*
    2. No
    3. http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zIq_.ecoczu.Vthz0xo at level 31. Your next points should be in pyromancer armor, improved flame bolt, and improved grounding.
    *You're alternative is to go deep pyro solo, and to either drink after every solo mob, or die about 100 times an hour.

Using that spec, your Earth elemental is your "tank." If you run a dungeon, that spec is okay - just make sure you use your air elemental instead of your earth elemental.

However, the spec I listed is going to be extremely inefficient, and you will find yourself drinking a lot and most likely dying a lot. Pyro flatly just sucks for leveling. Warlock based specs are the best for leveling, since you have a way to regenerate both your health and mana in that one tree. This makes Chloromancer and Necromancer great off-trees for leveling warlock.

TBH, I'd run two specs if I were you. Necro-lock for solo'ing, and deep Pyro for dungeons. A deep pyro build for dungeons at your level would look vastly different than the one I linked. If you do warfronts, Dom-lock or your PvE necrolock build would both do well.
    Last edited by Pyrocaster; 09-03-2011 at 01:08 AM.

Don't do pure pyro if leveling solo. No. Don't do it. I tried.

Put enough into Elementalist for the Greater Earth Elemental. Keep that pet with you.

Put the rest into Pyro and focus on DPS after that. You'll now have your bodyguard as you hopefully blast away enemies fast enough.

Sorry, but you'll need a pet.

Can do a pure pyro for dungeons though with a party

I can't really speak for a leveling character, but when I tried my pyro/wl pvp spec in the open world I enjoyed it a lot.

Basically the idea is to nuke stuff down and recover lost health (dmg from mobs and sacrificed) via reconstruct. Of course there might be a tiny difference between a p7/8 mage running around and a leveling character ^^

Still, the basics should work. The question is, if you slow yourself down too much when needing to reconstruct all the time. Might also work better once you're a little higher in the 40bracket.

If that doesn't work, you should really just get those 21pts into Ele and let that buddy tank for you.
    Last edited by Elerina; 09-03-2011 at 01:36 AM.

Telaran

I leveled to 50 as a Pyromancer, totally regretted it once I tried anything with Chloro.... Now with the Chloro spec my down time when mob crawling is cut by 2/3'ds.

You want Something/Chloro to level up with. Lock/Chloro isn't bad.

Oh yeah I guess I did forget :P. Chloromancer is good to use too, if you want.

Rift Disciple

Actually, I'm currently leveling as Pyro/Cloro.

I lead with spores (which causes no aggro) then drop immediately into a standard pyro rotation. The 5% health return from lifegiving and the 16% chance of a 100% damage to health return is more than enough to keep me topped up nicely.

If I get into trouble and pull more targets than originally intended, I'll vines them all and soak up the added healing or drop an instant cast bloom (which heals me for roughly HALF of my total HP).

Most targets die before they even reach melee combat (Usually 5-6 casts) and those that do reach melee hit me for less than the total amount I've healed in the first 3-4 casts not even counting the bigger heals that proc from radiant spores.

Its a fun single target build, it kills extremely quickly, has absolutely zero downtime and its totally foolproof as far as rotation is concerned.

Necro/Lock does a much better job at multiple targets, but Pyro/Cloro is definately doable.

Soulwalker

Would it be possibly to see your pyro/chloro build?

Rift Disciple

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...c0e0hch0c.xdbh

Depending on how safe I'm feeling, I either start the fight with radiant or with fireball (you can cast radiant while fireball is enroute to the target and as far as I know still get the effect, buying you precious seconds of +25% Int through natural awareness).

From there I cast a second fireball and drop flame bolt, (you should be able to get all three casts off @ +25% Int), by this time the mob has realized I'm there and is heading towards me.

I cast a third fireball at this point, and then pull out inferno if the mob's low enough. If not I'll either drop an additional fireball or drop an additional flame bolt if wildfire is up.

If I'm dealing with a target that has more life than normal, I'll drop withering vines at the start of the fight, just because the added heals are enough to keep me topped right off.

I don't drop ground of power unless I know I'm going to be stationary for a while or I expect serious trouble and want to be able to pull out a burning shield on demand. My next point is going to be into heat wave for the extra just-in-case firepower.

Level as Warlock/Necro.

It's easy mode and very fun.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Pesmergia View Post
    Level as Warlock/Necro.

Its also rediculously terrible at single target if you're 30-40th level.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Kirzen View Post
    This is what I found.

Thanks for linking your build - I've been playing around with it this morning.

I have a few more talents unlocked and I have partly spec'd into the Archon tree...

My rotation is as follows:

- Smouldering power (if I have 10+ charge) - makes next cast cost 95% less mana.
    - Cinder Burst - long cast but with a cost of about 11 mana (at level 42, after Smouldering Power) I think it's worth it.

Next I have a macro that casts Heat Wave if it is off cooldown.
    Then simply spam Flame Bolt/Fireball until 30% finishing with inferno.

I also occasionally use Searing Vitality which gives me a total of 45 endurance.

I would say this technique is very efficient for single target. I have found that I struggle if I pull more than 3 mobs at once - however, I haven't found the need to AOE the mobs as the single target damage is so high and fast

Edit: Just to add. If you do run into trouble you have Consuming Flames and Burning Shield which should easily give you enough time to run out of aggro range.
    Last edited by Aibayra; 09-05-2011 at 05:42 AM.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Kirzen View Post
    A chloro or dominator build would be lower dps single target in that range. A deep warlock build should be able to keep up with any other mage spec at that level (I was lock/necro coming up through that level). I just really like warlock with soul purge, it makes for excellent damage plus you can regain both health and mana using sac life: mana or sacrificing pet health for mana. And soul purge for heals.

Really, any pyro spec is going to cause a lot of deaths and/or drinking a lot of water. Warlock or lock/necro specs you never ever have to sit, and you're much less likely to die. I tried a lot of pyro permutations coming up, and I eventually gave up - you're just nerfing yourself if you're not using some sort of deep warlock build as a leveling mechanism.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Pesmergia View Post
    Level as Warlock/Necro.

Why do people never take the time to read the original post in a thread?

(its rhetorical)

Quote Originally Posted by Monopolio View Post
    My mage is at 31, and was a Necro/War/Dom spec. I have been getting pretty bored with the spec and I am looking to try the Pyromancer soul.

I have searched for information on how to level as a pyromancer so I just went ahead as started putting points in (I like to think I have a reasonable knowledge of where to stick stuff). The elementalist pet seems to be the main thing used for survivabilty although it cannot level past 30. I understand I could use it for the next couple of levels, however after then it will not be usable.

Thanks in advance.
    I was having same dilemma as you but was able to put together a pyro spec that not only kills fast, it AOEs very well, doesn't need to drink hardly ever, and has good survivability and doesnt require pet... I'm 35 now and loving it I'm out but ill post my build when I get home later
    Warfronts need segregation of the Tiers. 1-5 and 6-8 or pre-50 pvp will be the most enjoyable PVP in the game.
    Run and Gun My *Boomstick* MM PVP Guide
    The Night Bomber PVP Spec + Rogue PVP Guide Compilation
    Blood and Fire Sin/NB PVP Guide

+ Reply to Thread