+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mage Support Builds

Default Mage Support Builds

Hi guys, I'm just starting out on Rift and so far very much like the option to play a support role. However I'm somewhat unsure as to the priority of my tasks. I know that I could/should do

-Buffs
    -Debuffs
    -Healing
    -Damage

to some extents. Often enough I see healers mentioning they have no interest in my healing capabilities, which would be a reason to focus more on the other 3 aspects. Those can be well covered with a 51 Archon build and off points in 10 Dom / 5 Ele for more damage or 15 Chloro for some minor degree of healing. But just as often I'm just running a full Archon build when some mobs add or whatever happens and the extra healing would have saved the group, which makes me want to pack some sort of healing power into a support build "just in case".

So I'm wondering if it would be viable to play something along the lines of 3x/3x Archon Chloro as a supporter. I have seen the aforementioned combo as a healing spec prior to the LGV/LBV changes, but ever since that change it's pretty obvious 51 Chloro is the way to go for a healing spec.
    In the Archon tree, the build loses out on:
    -Burning Purpose and the associated +4% dmg, -2% cast time, -4% mana cost
    -Lingering Dust, which in a 51 build would be negated by BP
    -Surging Flare and its 5% cast speed buff with 60% uptime (in a perfect world)

Instead it gains the option to cast Chloro damage spells for aoe healing, the "normal" Chloro healing spells minus Natural Healing and some nice utility such as ressing, infight Res, Living Essence's -10% mana cost and Living Shell.
    Ofc I would use the Archon spells for a damage-oriented rotation and only switch to Chloro spells when the need arises. It seems to me the losses in Archon are quite minor as opposed to the gains. So my question is would such a build make sense from a supporter's point of view? I'm talking about 5-mans here, not raiding.

Thanks for any criticism, comments and inspiration ;-)
    Last edited by ManaKeKz; 09-02-2011 at 03:26 AM.

that build you linked will work great for 5man support.

you really dont need to go more than 32 in archon for a 5man. support in experts is better off to have some group healing included. 51 archon just isn't all that more helpful in a 5man than a 3x/3x archon/chloro in my opinion.

i still run a similar build if the group needs offheals, can dps with with the spells that give buffs, then if the group needed healing i just switch to spamming ruin/vile spores/flourish, while keeping radiant spores up. helps a ton for fights with heavy group dmg like last boss in AP.
    Last edited by rCypher; 09-02-2011 at 03:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rCypher View Post
    that build you linked will work great for 5man support.

you really dont need to go more than 32 in archon for a 5man. support in experts is better off to have some group healing included. 51 archon just isn't all that more helpful in a 5man than a 3x/3x archon/chloro in my opinion.

i still run a similar build if the group needs offheals, can dps with with the spells that give buffs, then if the group needed healing i just switch to spamming ruin/vile spores/flourish, while keeping radiant spores up. helps a ton for fights with heavy group dmg like last boss in AP.
    Sounds lovely. I just really like the added utility and having a lot of tools. Thanks for your fast response =)

If you say 32 Archon is enough, are you going 34 Chloro or did you put those points somewhere else entirely?

lgw

Very solid build. Akin to my pre-1.2 build which I used to main heal and main support 5mans. Can't really do that all too well anymore, but still.

Hints:
    * 5p Accelerated Growth -> Natural Awareness (better, also helps Archon part)
    * 2p Enduring Tether -> Natural Swiftness (great talent !)
    * 2p Circle of Life, 1p Living Shell -> Raised in Nature (not dying rocks, increses your shield)
    * 5p Soul Fire -> 2p Exhilaration, 2p Matyr's Solance, 1p Purging Flames (shield is good, purging too)

Build is also very good for running 10 mans, where you can't afford to fill every support slot with 51 specs.

3rd soul I'd recommend 0p Dom for poly and 0p Archmage for Break Free. 0p Souls can be switched on the fly, so just pick what you need for the encounter.
    Last edited by lgw; 09-02-2011 at 04:14 AM.
    ... aka schoklat. PVP nerd - gaming vet.
    First of slackers, herder of trolls.
    Wildstar PVP inc

Ascendant

not a bad idea the support build, tho keep in mind that while on lfg you'll find quite a few groups that need all the support they can get, you'll also will find a lot of groups with overgeared guys that just want that specific, ultrarare drop item or just to round up their raid plaques - those will want you to do max dps, any support isnt just needed anymore.
    and they generally ***** a lot if you dont do the dps they want to run the instance as fast as possible, so get ready a full-dps role, its needed.
    Last edited by Ruizo; 09-02-2011 at 04:29 AM.
    Once known as Nix-Zero

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.
    Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by lgw View Post
    Very solid build. Akin to my pre-1.2 build which I used to main heal and main support 5mans. Can't really do that all too well anymore, but still.

Hints:
    * 5p Accelerated Growth -> Natural Awareness (better, also helps Archon part)
    * 2p Enduring Tether -> Natural Swiftness (great talent !)
    * 2p Circle of Life, 1p Living Shell -> Raised in Nature (not dying rocks, increses your shield)
    * 5p Soul Fire -> 2p Exhilaration, 2p Matyr's Solance, 1p Purging Flames (shield is good, purging too)

Build is also very good for running 10 mans, where you can't afford to fill every support slot with 51 specs.

3rd soul I'd recommend 0p Dom for poly and 0p Archmage for Break Free. 0p Souls can be switched on the fly, so just pick what you need for the encounter.
    Thanks for your feedback!

- main reason I picked Accelerated Growth is that Natural Awareness is somewhat hard to maintain when doing the Archon rotation, but I see why even a 50% uptime NA would give me more benefits
    - I'm not exactly sure as to the Archon changes. The shield is neat, yea, but 4% of my max life is next to nothing in extra absorption. The mana regain on crit might not be needed due to LF and improved Flare, though with Living Shell gone it could be of use. 5% more fire damage, however, doesn't provide much benefit either

I'm currently using Dom for the 0 point soul, Transmogrify is a handy spell to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruizo View Post
    not a bad idea the support build, tho keep in mind that while on lfg you'll find quite a few groups that need all the support they can get, you'll also will find a lot of groups with overgeared guys that just want that specific, ultrarare drop item or just to round up their raid plaques - those will want you to do max dps, any support isnt just needed anymore.
    and they generally ***** a lot if you dont do the dps they want to run the instance as fast as possible, so get ready a full-dps role, its needed.
    True, I've seen that as well. Also some people still think in terms of the classic trinity. They see that a 51 Archon doesn't heal AND pulls less dps than other damage specs so they think it's obsolete. These people usually overlook the fact that my buffs actually improve their performance to an extent where my own dps + their increased dps through buffs adds up to more dps than I could pull on my own.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by ManaKeKz View Post
    True, I've seen that as well. Also some people still think in terms of the classic trinity. They see that a 51 Archon doesn't heal AND pulls less dps than other damage specs so they think it's obsolete. These people usually overlook the fact that my buffs actually improve their performance to an extent where my own dps + their increased dps through buffs adds up to more dps than I could pull on my own.
    absolutely true on 20 man, more or less marginal on 10 man but the net effect on a 5 man, when after you remove the tank and main healer only two people would get the dps increase, is pretty small.
    generally a third dps is better.
    main problem here is the absolute lack of aoe damage in 51 archon.
    Last edited by Ruizo; 09-02-2011 at 04:49 AM.
    Once known as Nix-Zero

Quote Originally Posted by Ruizo View Post
    absolutely true on 20 man, more or less marginal on 10 man but the net effect on a 5 man, when after you remove the tank and main healer only two people would get the dps increase, is pretty small.
    generally a third dps is better.
    main problem here is the absolute lack of aoe damage in 51 archon.
    I know, I hate that =/ don't know why they had to go and make Lava Field a 90 sec cd. It's not that strong. Sure, it's a nice boost to healing, but overall I don't think the net healing is more than a Flourish cast, for example, AND it's not healing per se, only a temporary buff to healing from other sources.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by ManaKeKz View Post
    I know, I hate that =/ don't know why they had to go and make Lava Field a 90 sec cd. It's not that strong. Sure, it's a nice boost to healing, but overall I don't think the net healing is more than a Flourish cast, for example, AND it's not healing per se, only a temporary buff to healing from other sources.
    yeah lava field's designer should be dropped in that lava field, to check if it do such damage
    Once known as Nix-Zero

+ Reply to Thread