+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Some questions about the necro lock

Default Some questions about the necro lock

Hi guys,
    i have some questions about the necro lock.
    1. First - lets start with opportunity.

It is ment to reduce the cast time of void bolt. So void bolt has an 1.5 second cooldown. The global cooldown is also 1.5 secs. So does it doe anything at all?
    If yes, what is the ~average DPS gain of using opportunity?
    Is it not better to invest those points into the necro build, since every additional point increases the damage of the necro pet by 2%?

2. Next question is about draining bolt
    Some people use draining bolt in their void bolt macros. If you do that, isnt it dangerous, that your life leech runs out by mistake because you spam a draining bolt instead of a void bolt? I think void bolt is somehow superflous and once again could be used in the necro tree better for pushing the pets damage by 2%.
    ( I know its not alot. Assuming the pet does 350 DPS,2% would be 7 DPS. Using void bolt is more DPS gain?)

lgw

1) It's indeed not useful.

2) DB hit's marginally harder than VB and it's instant, that why you take it. (Especially in the 38/28 Defile variant.)
    People put it in macros, because they're straight not skilled enough to use their classes properly. It's total balls there - not only for the reason you meantioned, but especially because you usually should save it for occasions when you have to move.
    ... aka schoklat. PVP nerd - gaming vet.
    First of slackers, herder of trolls.
    Wildstar PVP inc

ok thanks for your answer!

Rift Disciple

Opportunity is useful to allow you to toss those spells requiring a cast time while you are on the move. Most useful in PvP but also handy from time to time in PvE.
    Zirak: Mage of <The Purge>
    Guardian of Seastone, formerly of Faemist

Telaran

1) it's not worthless per say... it just only effects when you're moving. you'll get a minimal increase in dps during movment fights when it procs off a dot reapp. or if your pet gets insta gibbed because you did a bad job controlling it.

my personal testing has determined at my spell power level, it's a dps loss for me to use opp to cast a talented plague bolt instead of void. (if it were a gain, it'd be an argument for opp.)

2) the less macros you run, the better you are at playing.
    Last edited by Nashiq; 09-01-2011 at 07:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nashiq View Post
    2) the less macros you run, the better you are at playing.
    Explain the logic in that?

The less macros you use the harder you are making it for yourself -> doesn't necessarily mean you are better at playing.

To answer OP: Don't spec opportunity it's a well document DPS loss. VB can be macrod - if you are worried about not being able to manage the LL refresh timer as a result then just split it up - you really don't save yourself too much by macroing it in.
    JD - Formerly Archivist
    ||P8 Mage||11/11 HK||
    Breaking Bads @ Seastone
    Recruiting 1 Warrior or Rogue Tank - Apply on the Website!!

Quote Originally Posted by ArchivistCarrion View Post
    Explain the logic in that?

The less macros you use the harder you are making it for yourself -> doesn't necessarily mean you are better at playing.
    Less macro's = more control.

Just to echo whats already been said, draining bolt and opp are for mobility, to have stuff to cast while on the move.

Rift Chaser

In this thread people theory craft about opportunity without ever using it.

ONLY GOOD MAGE USE OPPORTUNITY

Ascendant

Opportunity is good. It takes your 1.5 GCD + 1.5 cast = 3 second spell down to a 1.5 GCD only. Gives you more damage while mobile and boosts DPS.
    Chronicar Rank 6 mage
    <Squab Squad>

Quote Originally Posted by Chronicar View Post
    Opportunity is good. It takes your 1.5 GCD + 1.5 cast = 3 second spell down to a 1.5 GCD only. Gives you more damage while mobile and boosts DPS.
    You're joking, right?

Champion of Telara Silverangel69's Avatar

Opportunity is fun with my pyro/lock, trying to get Cinder Bursts off with it. I don't think I have points in it on my necro/lock though, which is focused more on soloing and survival.
    Last edited by Silverangel69; 09-01-2011 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NerfMePlease View Post
    In this thread people theory craft about opportunity without ever using it.

ONLY GOOD MAGE USE OPPORTUNITY
    I don't see whats to theory craft... no necro/lock spells are above the gcd, therefore opp is only good for movement.

Telaran

well, there is plague bolt, but even talented at 5 stacks it doesn't hit as hard as void (at least in my gear) so yeah, movement.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Pylades View Post
    You're joking, right?
    How am I wrong?

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Chronicar View Post
    How am I wrong?
    Lol.

Your cast and GCD occur at the same time. Your GCD doesn't start when you finish casting, it starts when you begin casting. So when you're done with the 1.5 second cast, you're also done with the 1.5 second GCD and can immediately begin casting again. You don't add them and it certainly isn't 3 seconds between VB casts.

As for the people who say macros are bad, I still don't understand why people think you're "better" if you have more buttons to push. Having more buttons means you just don't know how to make better macros.

For example, someone said you should only use Draining Bolt when you move, that's why you don't macro it. You do realize that you can put it BEHIND Void Bolt in a macro and then it will only cast when you move?

Also, ignore the troll who says good Necro/Locks use Opportunity. They don't. That kid is wrong about everything he posts on these forums.

Anyway, carry on.
    Last edited by FireWraith; 09-02-2011 at 08:17 AM.

GSB: 5/5, RoS: 4/4, HK: 10/11
    GP: 4/4, DH: 4/4

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast