+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stormcaller Pvp Advice Needed

Soulwalker

Default Stormcaller Pvp Advice Needed

1.What are some stormcaller pvp builds/theories you guys have?

2. Some possible soul combination suggestions for a 44 SC Build?

3. How could you make it more viable?

I absolutely love playing stormcaller! It just seems to fit my playstyle but I am having doubts about it since It seems I hardly see pvping SC's Nowadays. Here are some things I do~

Ride the wind- Lifesaver almost everytime, also use it for teleporters running away >.>

I alternate between a few rotations but the main 1 I use is : Raging storm, ice shear,absolute zero, arctic blast, llightning burst ( Love this new spell!)
    When raging storm is still in cooldown I usually use Lightning storm for the 3 stacks of electrified and also for added charge for building storm rotations utilizing hailstorm or arctic blast when its not on cooldown.

I usually use warlock for opportunity to insta cast Arctic blast, hail storm, lightning burst, etc. and use dark touch in conjunction with cloud bursts to use while on the move(after stacking electrified of course :P)

I find that the combination of hypothermia and ride the wind are also absolutely crucial for kiting, Would love some help from you pro mages out there :P

Rift Master

Sounds like you have it pretty well covered to be honest.

I use a 51SC/15 AM build. 30% extra crit dmg matters a lot when you're rocking building storm and lightning spells. This gives you a little more HP from Archon too.

Opportunity works well, but you really have to give up 10% water damage and Lightning Burst for it. I find it not really worth it. Hardcasting AB isn't always the worst thing for bursting as it releases the GCD, and you can always instant it every 2min when really required.

Well, sounds good. I'm quite sure you work in BS there somewhere before using AB.

You don't see much SC because I think most people aren't really good at it. Maybe it's also a play style thing. Lots of mages prefer the low dmg tanky builds. Of course survivability is crucial in PVP but it's not all you need.

51SC is a good way, but EotS is not worth other stuff you can gain instead.

I prefer 45SC/21AM.

Sword of Telara

Sometimes I play 44SC/18Chloro/4AM. This way I have more HP and some self heals. Bloom and Flourish can be a lifesaver and also give you charge on the run so you can use Ride the Wind longer.

aux

Opportunity -> Lightning Strike -> Opportunity -> Lightning Burst KABOOM

Love it when that happens.

Took out 10% of a tank's HP with it once.
    I'm so BORED

Quote Originally Posted by aux View Post
    Opportunity -> Lightning Strike -> Opportunity -> Lightning Burst KABOOM

Love it when that happens.

Took out 10% of a tank's HP with it once.
    Yeah, Opportunity roxx hard. But losing Overload in a spec that wants to produce as high crits as possible sucks even harder

44 SC, 15 AM, 7 Ele.

Bring a friend that can heal you, and another one or two that can "keep agro" in pvp.
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Vice Chairman of the Defiant Repopulation Committee
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

44 SC / 2 Dom / 20 AM

This is the build that I use and I get consistently good results with it.

Two keys to this build that set it apart from other 44 SC setups.

1) Withering Veins

2) Quick Thinking (Dom Passive Talent)

3) Hastened Withdrawal

First, Withering Veins. This talent in and of itself is extremely mediocre, especially with 2/5 invested means a full stack is only a 10% healing reduction. The trick though is that Thunderbolt will now add 1 Withering Veins and 1 Electrify each cast. This results in Withering Veins protecting your Electrify from being dispelled before you can Lightning Burst in most cases. Try it, I'm sure you'll find your success rate increase.

Second, Quick Thinking. The biggest gripe most mages have with Lightning Burst is the 2 second cast time that follows the already seemingly long setup time. With Quick Thinking you want to run the following rotation for the best burst.

Flash Freeze > Raging Storm > Ice Shear > Lightning Burst (1.5 second cast)

If the target is close you can open with Wind Chill instead.

OR

If you decide you don't want to use up any DR on your target just yet you can prebuff Quick Thinking using Wind Chill without hitting anyone. Just be sure you have Raging Storm up if you intend to use Quick Thinking because QT effects your NEXT spell cast. So Thunderbolt would eat the QT buff but Raging Storm will not.

Thirdly, Hastened Withdrawal. This talent gives you a 10% chance to dispel all movement impairing effects and increase run speed by 50% any time you suffer physical damage. I'm fairly certain this clears stuns as well. Assassins have opened with Paralyzing Strike on me many times and HW procs and I book it to max range.

Also note that Hastened Withdrawal stacks with Ride the Wind for a total of 100% increased run speed.

If you have HW up and charge for RtW I strongly recommend kiting with Cloudburst. If you don't need the extra speed from RtW than activate Static Flux and kite with Cloudburst.

When the enemy is within range of a one shot critical Lightning Burst hit them with a Raging Storm > Flash Freeze > Lightning Burst for the finish.

When I first started playing Stormcaller in PvP I made the mistake of neglecting Cloudburst. My success rates improved drastically when I started thinking of it as my main filler even in PvP. The reason being is that after a Lightning Burst if the target is healed you will rarely ever get past whatever health they landed at from the first one. By using Cloudbursts you save your Electrify stacks and wear them down with water spells instead. Then, when they're in range you eat your stacks for a big burst with LB.

JD - Formerly Archivist
    ||P8 Mage||11/11 HK||
    Breaking Bads @ Seastone
    Recruiting 1 Warrior or Rogue Tank - Apply on the Website!!

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Ozamet View Post
    44 SC / 2 Dom / 20 AM

This is the build that I use and I get consistently good results with it.

Two keys to this build that set it apart from other 44 SC setups.

1) Withering Veins

2) Quick Thinking (Dom Passive Talent)

3) Hastened Withdrawal

First, Withering Veins. This talent in and of itself is extremely mediocre, especially with 2/5 invested means a full stack is only a 10% healing reduction. The trick though is that Thunderbolt will now add 1 Withering Veins and 1 Electrify each cast. This results in Withering Veins protecting your Electrify from being dispelled before you can Lightning Burst in most cases. Try it, I'm sure you'll find your success rate increase.

Second, Quick Thinking. The biggest gripe most mages have with Lightning Burst is the 2 second cast time that follows the already seemingly long setup time. With Quick Thinking you want to run the following rotation for the best burst.

Flash Freeze > Raging Storm > Ice Shear > Lightning Burst (1.5 second cast)

If the target is close you can open with Wind Chill instead.

OR

If you decide you don't want to use up any DR on your target just yet you can prebuff Quick Thinking using Wind Chill without hitting anyone. Just be sure you have Raging Storm up if you intend to use Quick Thinking because QT effects your NEXT spell cast. So Thunderbolt would eat the QT buff but Raging Storm will not.

Thirdly, Hastened Withdrawal. This talent gives you a 10% chance to dispel all movement impairing effects and increase run speed by 50% any time you suffer physical damage. I'm fairly certain this clears stuns as well. Assassins have opened with Paralyzing Strike on me many times and HW procs and I book it to max range.

Also note that Hastened Withdrawal stacks with Ride the Wind for a total of 100% increased run speed.

If you have HW up and charge for RtW I strongly recommend kiting with Cloudburst. If you don't need the extra speed from RtW than activate Static Flux and kite with Cloudburst.

When the enemy is within range of a one shot critical Lightning Burst hit them with a Raging Storm > Flash Freeze > Lightning Burst for the finish.

When I first started playing Stormcaller in PvP I made the mistake of neglecting Cloudburst. My success rates improved drastically when I started thinking of it as my main filler even in PvP. The reason being is that after a Lightning Burst if the target is healed you will rarely ever get past whatever health they landed at from the first one. By using Cloudbursts you save your Electrify stacks and wear them down with water spells instead. Then, when they're in range you eat your stacks for a big burst with LB.
    gonna have to try this! looks more fun than 9% anti-crit.

General of Telara

Just came up with this after seeign what others are putting http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...f0h.VGttbtssdR could look like some very nice burst damage, one thing though, it wont let me put 4 points into collateral damage, when i have 1 left to spend on the calculator, bug?

Just think being able to pop nenvins Lament before using Lightning burst along with a chance of CD going off, could become some very nasty damage to people, especially if they have all been electrified

Quote Originally Posted by Elgarr View Post
    Just came up with this after seeign what others are putting http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...f0h.VGttbtssdR could look like some very nice burst damage, one thing though, it wont let me put 4 points into collateral damage, when i have 1 left to spend on the calculator, bug?

Just think being able to pop nenvins Lament before using Lightning burst along with a chance of CD going off, could become some very nasty damage to people, especially if they have all been electrified
    It is not a bug. You can't ever place more than 21 points into a PvP soul.

Also, CD will not work with Lightning Burst as Lightning Burst is classified as an AoE, not a single target. CD only effects single target spells.

Ascendant

collateral damage sucks. 5 meters range = pbbbbbb

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Ozamet View Post
    It is not a bug. You can't ever place more than 21 points into a PvP soul.

Also, CD will not work with Lightning Burst as Lightning Burst is classified as an AoE, not a single target. CD only effects single target spells.
    Ok well thanks, got my hopes up for a min for some nice crit numbers. oh well back to the drawing board, although i think having archmage with SC would be nice compliment for the damage though.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by ururu View Post
    collateral damage sucks. 5 meters range = pbbbbbb
    last I checked its phys damage as well and is effected by armor,parry,doge and block. also based off your hit instead of focus. enjoy!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast