+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: The Best DPS Mage Synergy Crystal

RIFT Community Ambassador bluedot's Avatar

Default The Best DPS Mage Synergy Crystal

To view a formatted, up to date, version of this post please click here.

Click here for a list of all the Mage Synergy Crystals.

This post is going to basically be an information dump. At the top I have listed the major specs, and the DPS increase they get from their respective synergy crystals. I will also cover new specs/rotations that might become viable due to Synergy Crystals.

I did not test obvious Crystals like Archon or Chloro as you really only have one option there.

If you don't want to read through the whole thing here is my conclusion:

Necromancer Crystal is the best 2 piece, Pyromancer and Warlock are neck and neck for the best 4 piece. I believe Pyromancer might pull ahead in a raid, but that is speculation at this point.

For all my tests I use the following base, unbuffed stats. Keep in mind, some specs will cause these to change. If I do not list the rotation, then I am using the one from my End Game PvE Mage Guide.

4 Piece Tests:

Spell Power: 1442
    Spell Crit: 1076
    2 Piece Tests:

Spell Power: 1277
    Spell Crit: 864

Necro/Lock + Lich Form (Necromancer Crystal)

Notes: The 2 piece bonus has a 100% uptime due to Blood Spike's 100% crit chance. The Lich Form increased duration is great and the reduced cooldown makes it line up with Empty the Crypts every time, so the benefit gets bigger the longer the fight.

4 Piece stats: 1387

4 Piece with Crystal: 1429

2 Piece stats: 1248

2 Piece with Crystal: 1270

Necro/Lock + Defile (Warlock Crystal)

Notes: 10% Crit chance is roughly equal to 263 Spell Crit, but keep in mind it only effects DoTs. The 30% Crit Damage affects all spells. These tests were done on the PTS where the Defile bug has been fixed. (It now ticks 9 times like it is supposed to, instead of 8). I also did not notice any "mini-crits" (crit fors 30% damage) like we have seen with Crit Damage modifiers in the past. Just like with Neddra's Influence, Soul Purge does get the Crit Damage bonus.

4 Piece stats: 1353

4 Piece with Crystal: 1550

2 Piece stats: 1208

2 Piece with Crystal: 1257

Pyro/Ele (Pyromancer Crystal)

Notes: Even though the GCD is 1 second while Heatwave is active, it is very hard to get a full 5 additional Fireballs with the Crystal due to lag, or other random factors. The best average you can shoot for is 4 additional Fireballs. Simply put I am not good enough at math to figure out exactly how good a 10% additional chance to apply the Fireball DoT is, but the tests show it doing pretty well.

I am wary of these tests, RNG affects Pyro/Ele more then any of the other popular DPS spec. I would give a 5% +/- variation on all of these results.

4 Piece stats: 1313

4 Piece with Crystal: 1557

2 Piece stats: 1281

2 Piece with Crystal: 1387

New Specs.

Ele/Lock (Warlock Crystal)

Notes: The reason for this is you get a total of 210% Crit Damage, Defile + Tempest.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...kVVxk.Vthz0xoN

Rotation: Life Leech > Dark Tough > Defile > Void Bolt

Toggle Elemental Forces when you have charge. Toggle off when you are below 25 charge to avoid knocking Defile off.

#show Void Bolt
    petcast Ball Lightning
    petcast Lightning Bolt
    cast Draining Bolt
    cast Void Bolt

The only way this could possibly be viable is with the 4 piece bonus, so I didn't bother testing with 2 piece or no piece.

DPS: 1466

This puts it up there, but still a little short from other specs. Worth watching though as Raid Buff/Gear might make it better.

51 Elementalist (Elemental Crystal)

Its awful. That is all. This Crystals makes the Chloro one look good.

Cheers
    Last edited by bluedot; 08-31-2011 at 10:32 PM.

Rift Disciple

Thanks for parsing warlock/ele bluedot I appreciate it, looks like I'll be getting the warlock crystal tonight.

Shield of Telara

Why do you hate sc/ele so much?

Quote Originally Posted by ElusiveJones View Post
    Why do you hate sc/ele so much?

SC/Ele is an AoE spec, if the fight calls for AoE you will likely go SC/Ele regardless of your Crystal.

If it helps, the SC crystal has a 100% up time on the SP buff. As far as I can tell, the buff to Cloudburst is additive % damage increases.

lgw

Good testing.

Pyro/Ele:
    How long was your parse, and was the crystal enough to push Combust to stay up... at least more often than not ?

Defile/Lock:
    IMHO still the best spec due its mobility and utility. Furthermore raidbuffs help this spec a lot - in particular that straight +15% crit from various de/buffs.

Ele/Lock:
    You missed some nice tricks there.
    1) 5/5 Opp to use instant LS.
    2) Applying IC to explode it with IE.
    The first is definately a DPS increase and the second most likely.
    ... aka schoklat. PVP nerd - gaming vet.
    First of slackers, herder of trolls.
    Wildstar PVP inc

Quote Originally Posted by lgw View Post
    Good testing.

Pyro/Ele:
    How long was your parse, and was the crystal enough to push Combust to stay up... at least more often than not ?

Defile/Lock:
    IMHO still the best spec due its mobility and utility. Furthermore raidbuffs help this spec a lot - in particular that straight +15% crit from various de/buffs.

Ele/Lock:
    You missed some nice tricks there.
    1) 5/5 Opp to use instant LS.
    2) Applying IC to explode it with IE.
    The first is definately a DPS increase and the second most likely.
    Thanks! For each parse I entered combat > Used the rotation until everything was ready for the cooldowns (Enough charge, debuffs, etc) > Used the cooldowns > Stopped the parse as soon as the cooldowns were off cooldown.
    So usually about 2:10 - 2:15.

Some good ideas, I may need to rerun the test for Lock/Ele.

Super hard to catch an opp proc for a LS, when your spamming a 1.5s void bolt. You need like godlike reflexes or something.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedot View Post
    SC/Ele is an AoE spec, if the fight calls for AoE you will likely go SC/Ele regardless of your Crystal.

If it helps, the SC crystal has a 100% up time on the SP buff. As far as I can tell, the buff to Cloudburst is additive % damage increases.
    It's a solid ST spec as well, can pull 2.6K + on Sicaron if you're doing the proper rotations... would've been nice to have a comparison to the other specs at least so we can see exactly how far behind it is and what the synergy crystal does...

I mean... if you're going to test Warlock/Ele and 51 Ele you could at least test SC/Ele which is currently better then both.

Edit: looks like once I have 4 pieces I'll only be using Defile spec
    Last edited by ArchivistCarrion; 08-31-2011 at 08:30 PM.
    JD - Formerly Archivist
    ||P8 Mage||11/11 HK||
    Breaking Bads @ Seastone
    Recruiting 1 Warrior or Rogue Tank - Apply on the Website!!

Quote Originally Posted by ArchivistCarrion View Post
    I mean... if you're going to test Warlock/Ele and 51 Ele you could at least test SC/Ele which is currently better then both.
    I'm pretty sure there was no way he couldn't test a spec where crits do 210% damage.
    As for Sc/Ele, I can understand why you wouldn't bother since the Synergy Crystals aren't going to bring its ST in line with Pyro/Ele or Necrolock even without their crystals.
    Last edited by Primalthirst; 08-31-2011 at 08:43 PM.
    Nope.

Rift Chaser

What spec did you use for the necromancer crystal?

Quote Originally Posted by Bounci View Post
    35/31, I have the spec and rotation listed in my: http://bluedots.org/2011/04/30/end-game-mage-pve-guide/

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Bounci View Post
    His spec is not very Bounci though. 100% increase in Pet Damage more often means 3% pet damage > 1% DoT damage.

Last edited by Gill; 09-01-2011 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Trolling

#show Void Bolt
    petattack
    petcast Ball Lightning
    petcast Lightning Bolt
    cast Draining Bolt
    cast Void Bolt

you might want to retest ele/lock as this macro is completely wrong. Putting petcast with air pet will just make it interrupt itself, it's not like with zealot/other melee pets where it makes them cast faster. Notice sc/ele and pyro/ele don't use petcast macros, wonder why?

Quote Originally Posted by Zubins View Post
    #show Void Bolt
    petattack
    petcast Ball Lightning
    petcast Lightning Bolt
    cast Draining Bolt
    cast Void Bolt

you might want to retest ele/lock as this macro is completely wrong. Putting petcast with air pet will just make it interrupt itself, it's not like with zealot/other melee pets where it makes them cast faster. Notice sc/ele and pyro/ele don't use petcast macros, wonder why?
    You are right, I discovered this while testing.. but forgot to update the macro, thanks.

Rift Chaser

bluedot, I'm going to agree with the poster regarding SC/Ele. It gives you carpal tunnel and eye strain trying to maintain a perfect rotation, but I belive it is competitive single target, at least for mages. The SC synergy crystal looks pretty beast too... so what I guess I'm saying is that it's worth it to test SC/Ele for single target. 75 sp and a flat 6% increase in damage (with what should be close to 100% uptime) seems like a pretty big boost.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast