+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By FireWraith

Thread: SC dps absolute crap compared to pyro dps - what am I doing wrong??

Rift Disciple

Default SC dps absolute crap compared to pyro dps - what am I doing wrong??

I'm posting this because I can't figure out why my pyro dps is absolutely killing my SC dps in both single and multi target pulls. I am 34 pyro/32 ele and 32sc/34ele as per Bluedot's guides. My gear is mostly T2 stuff, some PvP gear as filler (this is a new char). My unbuffed stats are 444int / 904sp / 519sc. Each of the following parses are about 2min, some may have been shorter. All available self buffs applied, no weapon enchants or tablets or other shenanigans.

Single target dps (single dungeon dummy):
    Necro/lock - 850
    Pyro - 920ish
    SC - 650

SC rotation: Tboltx3, ice shear, lightning strike, cloud burst until Tbolt needed to refresh; repeat. CDs and charge consumers as available.

Multi target (the group of 3 dungeon dummies):
    Pyro - 1850
    SC - 1700

SC rotation: Hailstorm, Lightning Storm, Lightning field as available, forked lightningx3 until the ground target spells are available, repeat lightning field etc.; repeat

Because the fact that my aoe dps is better in pyro than SC tells me I am definitely doing something wrong. Please help.
    Last edited by Fonk; 08-30-2011 at 02:18 PM.

Telaran

Stormcaller that can pull competitive ST dps use Building Storm and Arctic Blast in the rotation.

Rift Disciple

Hey there,

I use the following spec for My Sc/ Elementalist Aoe / St.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...bo..Vtcz0xoAdz

St rotation goes as such.

Raging Storm, Ice Shear, Cloudburst x 4, BS toggle On, Thunderbolt, Ice shear, Pop CDs - Static Discharge, Trinket. Intensify Elements, Static Flux, Artic Blast, BS toggle Off, Lightning Strike, Raging Storm, Ice shear.

Then Spam Cloudburst until Electrify stacks and Ice shear need to be refreshed. When you hit 95ish Charge toggle BS on, Thunderbolt, Ice shear, Static flux, Artic Blast, BS off, Lightning Strike.

Rinse repeat.

AoE - Hailstorn, Lightning Storm, Lightning field x3, Forked lightningx3 Lightning field x 2. Rinse repeat

Telaran

If you have less than 4 targets, IIRC you get a boost in DPS by not completely consuming the electrify stacks before refreshing them.

So for 2 targets, it's LFx2->FLx2
    for 3 it is LFx1->FLx2

To get high ST DPS, you'll need to use building storm.

There is an example rotation here http://bluedots.org/2011/04/30/end-game-mage-pve-guide/ but i'm not sure if it is the best.

If you are low on charge, make sure to save static flux for the high damage abilities like lightning field, lightning strike, and arctic blast rather than wasting it on cloudburst, thunderbolt, or forked lightning.
    You can also deactivate static flux while channeling a spell, but the damage will remain buffed. This allows you to increase the damage from lightning storm and raging storm with very little charge consumed.

You may have bad talent point distribution too.
    Last edited by Gorge Express; 08-30-2011 at 08:00 PM.

Rift Chaser

You need to weave in BS and Static Flux to really maximize your SC dps. Once you build up ~80 charge, turn on building storm, cast 3-4 spells (1 LF and 3 forks), and then toggle Static Flux and let fly an arctic blast.

The Pyro charge ability is a lot easier to handle (since there is only one, and in an aoe situation, you only cast one spell as pyro - versus the 19 bazillion spells you have to keep track of in SC/Ele).

SC/Ele will net you higher dps in AoE situations if you really nail down the rotation. If your rotation is off by just a little, your Pyro aoe can easily beat it.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Gorge Express View Post
    If you have less than 4 targets, IIRC you get a boost in DPS by not completely consuming the electrify stacks before refreshing them.

So for 2 targets, it's LFx2->FLx2
    for 3 it is LFx1->FLx2
    It's actually even simpler than that. The Inductance skill in the stormcaller tree makes your spells do 10% more damage for each stack of electrified on the mob, and you want your lightning field to bounce as much as possible per cast. Just build electrified up to three then hit lightning field and repeat. Since the counter is (mostly) accurate now it's easy to keep track of.

Looking at your two target rotation, let's say you're starting from three stacks:

cast lightning field, two bounces at 30% bonus damage
    cast lightning field, two bounces at 20% bonus damage
    cast forked lightning at 10% bonus damgae
    cast forked lightning at 20% bonus damage

Now if instead you alternate lightning field, forked lightning, lightning field, forked lightning:

You've cast the same amount of spells in the same time but you've gotten more bonus damage out of inductance.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Fonk View Post
    SC rotation: Tboltx3, ice shear, lightning strike, cloud burst until Tbolt needed to refresh; repeat. CDs and charge consumers as available.
    ST for SC should be: Icicle, Raging Storm (or Tbolt if RS is on CD), Ice Shear, Lightning Strike (Ele spell, make sure you chose 3/3 of Charged, T2 of the Ele tree), Lightning Field X4, TBolt x 1, Ice Shear, Lightning Strike, LF x 4, etc... Start with Icicle but don't bother trying to refresh it unless all the debuffs drop and you have to start over. You're going to ride Lightning Field for most of your damage, and just refresh Electrified effects and Ice Shear once each per cycle. Lightning Strike is the hardest hitting ST spell in SC/Ele but it has a 10 second cooldown, so make sure you use that first after all your debuffs are up and smile big when it crits.

Quote Originally Posted by Fonk View Post
    SC rotation: Hailstorm, Lightning Storm, Lightning field as available, forked lightningx3 until the ground target spells are available, repeat lightning field etc.; repeat
    Mostly right, but only used Forked Lightning 3 times then go back to Lightning Field again. And only use the ground target spells if the number of opponents is > 4, otherwise go: Arctic Blast, Forked Lightning x 3, Lightning Field x 3, FL x 3, LF x 3, etc...

Just FYI, Pyro AE DPS is pretty good.

Also, you're Spell Crit rating might be a little light for SC/Ele. You can also try 31 SC, 30 Lock (20% damage increase, 10% Opportunity proc, faster charge generation, in combat mana regen, etc...), 5 Ele. At a certain amount of Spell Crit, SC/Ele surpasses SC/Lock, but I don't know where that is.

Rift Disciple

Lightning field instead of cloudburst for ST?

Prophet of Telara

Oh yes. Never use Cloubdburst. Ever.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Qaedyan View Post
    Lolwut

Lightning Field got nerfed in 1.4, Cloudburst is now much better for single target (scales much better).

GSB: 5/5, RoS: 4/4, HK: 10/11
    GP: 4/4, DH: 4/4

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by FireWraith View Post
    Lolwut

Lightning Field got nerfed in 1.4, Cloudburst is now much better for single target (scales much better).
    ^^^
    switch to CB and Lighting Bolt on ST thats at least another 150 to 250 dps

ROfl

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Qaedyan View Post
    /facepalm

Cloudburst single target. Always.

+ Reply to Thread