+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: PvP - 42lock/16nec/8chloro VS 45lock/16nec/5am

  1. #1
    ask
    ask is offline
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    111

    Default PvP - 42lock/16nec/8chloro VS 45lock/16nec/5am

    OK. I am new to PvP and about to hit PR3. I don't care about topping the dps charts. I wanna focus burn STs down, particularly Clerics. I ran with a 16nec/32lock/18chloro build from the forums this weekend and loved it. I much prefered this play style to the 51 Lock, SC or Pyro builds I tried before it.

    However, I tweaked it around at work today to better fit my play style and was wondering what you guys think.

    I am debating between these 2 builds. The idea is to sneak up on targets, los most of the field, then spores, essence link, sac lif: dmg, life leech, withering vines, defile, necrosis, dark touch, dark fury, draining bolt, soul purge til dead (If not already). (I might have left out a spell in the rotation as I am typing this fast) Can throw choke, wither, and fear if needed. Also, Neddra's Essence for really sticky situations.

    What I saw most of this weekend playing: people didn't start to take notice of me until about mid-way through the rotation, by which time it was virtually too late. If I could just get the SP off with a few dots and a good amount of charge, they were toast.

    45lock/16nec/5am

    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...kqqek.xkcx0z.x

    42lock/16nec/8chloro

    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...qqek.xkcx0z.xd

    First, I was wondering if I should go for Fresh Graves or Symbiote in the Nec tree? I chose Symbiote because looks like it will provide me some extra healing.

    Second, I also took Improve LL over Magical Affinity, but I recall hearing in the past that Improve LL was a waste?

    Next, it's a matter I guess of healing vs. damage. The AM 15% pvp dmg buff is awesome, but reduces survivability quite a bit over chloro. Another plus to that build is the Mass Fear.

    Finally, the other route of course is to go 8 into Chloro for the instant cast Bloom.

    Ideas?

  2. #2
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    293

    Default

    This is better than both or those builds for WF
    http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...lf-buffed.html

    Personally I think Necro is way overrated in WF. It might be good for open world pvp but Soul Purge just doesnt outweigh the benefit of Lifegiving Veil for warfronts. The passive benefit of LV to your team beats the moderate healing/dmage of SP.

    If you really want a heal debuff go 38 Chloro for Blight, a better one than Essence link.

  3. #3
    ask
    ask is offline
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    111

    Default

    I agree with you. However.....

    Do I like being a team player? Yes.

    Do I like being a team player by healing the raid? No. If I did I would have rolled a cleric.

    I have found SP to be extremely helpful in keeping my 0 valor butt alive at PR2 rank while a melee is beating on me. Also, it has been great in adding that extra burst of dps that clerics have a hard time healing through. And I find this to be more helpful to the raid as taking out a cleric, especially early on, can result in a quick advantage for my team in the field.
    Last edited by ask; 08-30-2011 at 12:19 AM.

  4. #4
    ask
    ask is offline
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Double post.
    Last edited by ask; 08-30-2011 at 12:32 AM.

  5. #5
    Banned overbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,538

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ask View Post
    OK. I am new to PvP and about to hit PR3. I don't care about topping the dps charts. I wanna focus burn STs down, particularly Clerics. I ran with a 16nec/32lock/18chloro build from the forums this weekend and loved it. I much prefered this play style to the 51 Lock, SC or Pyro builds I tried before it.

    However, I tweaked it around at work today to better fit my play style and was wondering what you guys think.

    I am debating between these 2 builds. The idea is to sneak up on targets, los most of the field, then spores, essence link, sac lif: dmg, life leech, withering vines, defile, necrosis, dark touch, dark fury, draining bolt, soul purge til dead (If not already). (I might have left out a spell in the rotation as I am typing this fast) Can throw choke, wither, and fear if needed. Also, Neddra's Essence for really sticky situations.

    What I saw most of this weekend playing: people didn't start to take notice of me until about mid-way through the rotation, by which time it was virtually too late. If I could just get the SP off with a few dots and a good amount of charge, they were toast.

    45lock/16nec/5am

    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...kqqek.xkcx0z.x

    42lock/16nec/8chloro

    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...qqek.xkcx0z.xd

    First, I was wondering if I should go for Fresh Graves or Symbiote in the Nec tree? I chose Symbiote because looks like it will provide me some extra healing.

    Second, I also took Improve LL over Magical Affinity, but I recall hearing in the past that Improve LL was a waste?

    Next, it's a matter I guess of healing vs. damage. The AM 15% pvp dmg buff is awesome, but reduces survivability quite a bit over chloro. Another plus to that build is the Mass Fear.

    Finally, the other route of course is to go 8 into Chloro for the instant cast Bloom.

    Ideas?
    I don't think either of these builds will really take down a decent healer cleric, as their isn't enough burst damage. For dropping a healer, you're probably better off going with a 51 lock spec (or heavy dom).

    Both of the specs you have listed are equally good for different reasons. Which one you go with comes down to your current gearing vs others and your personal playstyle.

    Good luck!

  6. #6
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ask View Post
    I agree with you. However.....

    Do I like being a team player? Yes.

    Do I like being a team player by healing the raid? No. If I did I would have rolled a cleric.

    I have found SP to be extremely helpful in keeping my 0 valor butt alive at PR2 rank while a melee is beating on me. Also, it has been great in adding that extra burst of dps that clerics have a hard time healing through. And I find this to be more helpful to the raid as taking out a cleric, especially early on, can result in a quick advantage for my team in the field.
    I get what you mean, just that personally I think the -self healing- part of the chloro build is better than that given by SP, plus the +25% int buff after casting Ruin, say, is great for adding to burst (not that anything here comes close to 51 lock for burst, which is great fun but definitly squishier than chlorolock or necrolock)

    Anyway, try everything out. I must have paid 100 plat on respec after respec after respec. Enjoy!

  7. #7
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    369

    Default

    My suggestion between those two builds would be 45/16/5. Sure, the other build could work, but not so much at low ranks. You will not have the valor/gear buffer and you will be easily locked down by CC without break free, and having the ability to detaunt after you throw up all your dots is nice as well. Mass fear is also clutch.

  8. #8
    ask
    ask is offline
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Thanks guys.

    I am very open to suggesstions, so I came up with the following today....

    51lock/13chloro/2am

    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...eeRAkqqek.xdbh

    Rotation:
    RS- Sac. Life: Dmg- WV- LL- DT- <Macro x6>- ED- DS(stopcasted spam)

    <macro>
    #show (whatever)
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast sacrifice life: damage
    cast neddra's torture
    cast ruin
    cast dark fury
    cast draining bolt
    cast neddra's grasp

    Gonna try this out when I get home. Again, I don't care about padding numbers with crazy aoe ticks that don't kill anyone. I prefer to st focus burn em down.

  9. #9
    Plane Walker GLopez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    482

    Default

    I say 45 warlock / 16 necromancer / 5 archmage.

    Way too many people seem to misunderstand this spec. It's not just for the self-healing. I think people vastly underestimate Soul Purge's damage. It is over 50 percent more damage than Void Bolt. It can provide a ton of pressure, especially with full DOTs, and it can provide great burst if used in a Void Bolt -> Draining Bolt -> Soul Purge combo.

    Grave Rot's dispel protection and Soul Essence are also very good and often overlooked.

    Even when I had crappy gear, I found myself killing healers as this spec with clever switches and good use of Choke and Dark Fury.
    Last edited by GLopez; 08-30-2011 at 09:14 PM.

  10. #10
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ask View Post
    Thanks guys.

    I am very open to suggesstions, so I came up with the following today....

    51lock/13chloro/2am

    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...eeRAkqqek.xdbh

    Rotation:
    RS- Sac. Life: Dmg- WV- LL- DT- <Macro x6>- ED- DS(stopcasted spam)

    <macro>
    #show (whatever)
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast sacrifice life: damage
    cast neddra's torture
    cast ruin
    cast dark fury
    cast draining bolt
    cast neddra's grasp

    Gonna try this out when I get home. Again, I don't care about padding numbers with crazy aoe ticks that don't kill anyone. I prefer to st focus burn em down.

    Oh ho ho, had the same idea, but Ruin needs 14 in Chloro, sorry.


    Imo its either 44 lock/18 Chloro/4 am for mass fear and defile

    or a big fat

    33 lock/28 chloro/5am for Natures Fury, Choke and (very effective) Wild Growth

    or even

    31 lock/31chloro/4 am For Essense Surge. This one has 3 panic buttons in Neddras, Shadow Life and Essense Surge. If you are not CC'd you wont die often if at all.




    Disclaimer: You can probably tell from these builds that I hate dying...

  11. #11
    RIFT Guide Writer Benlisted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GLopez View Post
    I say 45 warlock / 16 necromancer / 5 archmage.

    Way too many people seem to misunderstand this spec. It's not just for the self-healing. I think people vastly underestimate Soul Purge's damage. It is over 50 percent more damage than Void Bolt. It can provide a ton of pressure, especially with full DOTs, and it can provide great burst if used in a Void Bolt -> Draining Bolt -> Soul Purge combo.

    Grave Rot's dispel protection and Soul Essence are also very good and often overlooked.

    Even when I had crappy gear, I found myself killing healers as this spec with clever switches and good use of Choke and Dark Fury.
    I entirely agree with this. Whilst the selfhealing from SP is nice, The sheer power of it is awesome combined with 4 DoTs on the target, as well as the fact that it allows you to rapidly switch target without having to reapply all your DoTs to do decent damage, or only be able to burst every 30 secs like a 51Lock.

    The other advantages include the ability to lay Grave Rot down on objectives as you die/want to hide to deny the enemy the point for as long as possible, Consumption as both a buff remover and instant 15% mana, and a pet to fast summon and lifetap for emergency mana needs, which can both come in handy.

  12. #12
    ask
    ask is offline
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GentleHell View Post
    Oh ho ho, had the same idea, but Ruin needs 14 in Chloro, sorry.


    Imo its either 44 lock/18 Chloro/4 am for mass fear and defile

    or a big fat

    33 lock/28 chloro/5am for Natures Fury, Choke and (very effective) Wild Growth

    or even

    31 lock/31chloro/4 am For Essense Surge. This one has 3 panic buttons in Neddras, Shadow Life and Essense Surge. If you are not CC'd you wont die often if at all.




    Disclaimer: You can probably tell from these builds that I hate dying...
    My fault. The build I ran with last night had 14 chloro. 51lock/14chloro/1am and I loved it. Remember I am PR2, our at least was at the time. I just hit rank 3 and will have to try out the 51lock/15am/0x spec, but I was having a blast with the chloro in the build.

    I played about 4 rounds and by the 2nd or 3rd I was in the top 15% for dps, healing, killing blows and consequently healing received. The most important thing was tho that I wasn't dying nearly as much as with previous builds I have tried. I can imagine once I actually get some good practice in this spec is gonna rock.
    Last edited by ask; 08-31-2011 at 03:26 PM.

  13. #13
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    163

    Default

    32chloro/31lock/3am is easily the best survivability/supporting build a low rank mage can use. You have ridiculous HP (for a mage) and a few great survivability cool downs. You may not be into healing your group, thats fine, but so long as your group lives, you live, plain and simple. Once you get higher rank you can use a similar build and sub warlock for dominator, this has great CC and helps you manage the other sides offense immensely. Both specs have *decent* burst but the major point is survivability.

    Few specs are as well rounded as a 32chloro build in warfronts, whether you like healing or not this fact cannot be ignored. Or ignore it and keep looking for that pipe dream heh.

    PS. dont put sacrifice damage in your macro, you will kill yourself if you dont may attention lol.

  14. #14
    ask
    ask is offline
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kommon View Post
    32chloro/31lock/3am is easily the best survivability/supporting build a low rank mage can use. You have ridiculous HP (for a mage) and a few great survivability cool downs. You may not be into healing your group, thats fine, but so long as your group lives, you live, plain and simple. Once you get higher rank you can use a similar build and sub warlock for dominator, this has great CC and helps you manage the other sides offense immensely. Both specs have *decent* burst but the major point is survivability.

    Few specs are as well rounded as a 32chloro build in warfronts, whether you like healing or not this fact cannot be ignored. Or ignore it and keep looking for that pipe dream heh.

    PS. dont put sacrifice damage in your macro, you will kill yourself if you dont may attention lol.
    So I have read. But, it's just not for me. I didn't have fun just staying alive.

    However, I already removed sac life dmg from my macro for other reasons, but how do you mean it will get me killed?

  15. #15
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ask View Post
    So I have read. But, it's just not for me. I didn't have fun just staying alive.

    However, I already removed sac life dmg from my macro for other reasons, but how do you mean it will get me killed?
    Say you're pressing your macro while being dps'd you just took away 15% of your HP while being focused fired, generally not a good thing to do.

    You dont just survive as those specs, you will be in the top dmg consistently. Not trying to force you on the spec I just see to many mages kind of really doing nothing in a warfront.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts