+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Veteran advice needed

Default Veteran advice needed

Im on a pvp, i want to become more of a support role, not just healing as with chloro, but to support with other means.

Also should that be paired with DOT or DPS.

Examples needed, please define the acronyms, for I am not just new the the game but new to genre

Shard- Freeholme

Name- AemonTargaryen

Thank you for your input.

Telaran

Chloro spec is pretty much support in PvP. We don't heal nearly as well as a Cleric who heals. Only other support we have is really just Archon. I gave up on it loong time ago. It was pretty useless in PvP, raids seem to want ONE Archon in a raid dungeon, but that's about it.

The typical Chloro/Lock does damage and heals at about an equal clip so its pretty fun. The Healing is back ground ish for me most of the time but it benefits the raid. Archon's problems if I can recall is once you rebuff at spawn it doesn't help those not around you in the raid. I could be wrong, but I believe this is how the dynamic works.

Edit: So at the start of a WF you buff everyone, from there out its pretty limited to those that happen to die with you. Anyone else looses the buff when they die and won't see it back unless, they happen to die with you and WAIT for you to rebuff before running off.
    Last edited by NargofWoV; 08-29-2011 at 12:42 PM.

Champion

When I think of support in PvP, I think of Chloro/Dominator.

Your entire purpose as a Chloro/Dom is to both provide heals and to take enemies out of the fight (shutting down their healers, etc). How successful you are is essentially based on how good the rest of your team is. A Chloro/Dom can tip a battle in their favor, but they won't win a battle themselves.

GSB: 5/5, RoS: 4/4, HK: 10/11
    GP: 4/4, DH: 4/4

Quote Originally Posted by NargofWoV View Post
    Chloro spec is pretty much support in PvP. We don't heal nearly as well as a Cleric who heals. Only other support we have is really just Archon. I gave up on it loong time ago. It was pretty useless in PvP, raids seem to want ONE Archon in a raid dungeon, but that's about it.

The typical Chloro/Lock does damage and heals at about an equal clip so its pretty fun. The Healing is back ground ish for me most of the time but it benefits the raid. Archon's problems if I can recall is once you rebuff at spawn it doesn't help those not around you in the raid. I could be wrong, but I believe this is how the dynamic works.

Edit: So at the start of a WF you buff everyone, from there out its pretty limited to those that happen to die with you. Anyone else looses the buff when they die and won't see it back unless, they happen to die with you and WAIT for you to rebuff before running off.
    He is right. Archon is useless.

For support best specs are Chloro/Lock or Chloro/Dom.

Chloromancer / WarLock you have damage and healings, equal.

Chloromancer / Dominator you have self healings (you) and a lot of crowd control spells to help your team take down a warrior, a rogue, a cleric. Its a very nasty spec and a lot of enemies will hate you (Its very fun to play Chloro/Dom).

For Chloro/Lock tutorial read Bluedots.org Tutorial, wrote by Cane (Arcanas).

Here is the link

For Chloro / Dominator I use 18 Chloro / 31 Dom / 17 Archmage.

Here is the link

However I'm lazy to teach you all spells of Dominator, you are gonna need to research a little bit more, as are plenty of posts in Mage Section about how to play a dominator.

But of course, you are only going to learn it by practicing, learn with your experience.

Good luck.
    ----
    Sorry for my bad english, I'm brazillian
    "Brasil", Guardian Mage Lvl 50, Prestige Rank 8, Whitefall (PvP), EU

5 minutes limit time for editing posts sucks!

Here is more info on Chloro spec

For Chloro / Dominator I use 18 Chloro / 31 Dom / 17 Archmage.

Basics for Dominator are:

1) Warrior or Rogue: Transmogrify -> Transference -> Storm Shackle -> Traitorous Influence -> Accelerated Decay -> Incompetence -> Void Shroud -> Spam Neural Prod

2) Cleric or Mage: Transmogrify -> Priest's Lament -> Accelerated Decay -> Incompetence -> Void Shroud -> Spam Neural Prod

Use Degeneration and Mana Wrench on Clerics or Mage, it will drain their mana to 0 (Need to use 2 or 3 times for full mana drain) and Degenaration will remove 2 single buffs from target (Great against Chloromancers)

Void Shroud use only on enemies that are being heavily attacked by your friends, it will reduce 50% healing on them, so its great against warriors or to take down a healer.

These spells will shutdown any class in pvp for a few seconds and provide your team great help to kill any target.

For **** button you have Bloom and Flourish (From Chloromancer tree) you heall you and your team mates.

You also have Detaunt, you can use Detaunt on that nasty warrior attacking you, but you must not attack him after you cast Detaunt. Just Detaunt and forget him.

If you have more then 2 targets attacking, use Detaunt on 1 and Transmogrify on Another and just run away.

Another great skill from this spec is Hastened Withdrawl, its a passive. Whenever you get critically hit, your speed is increased by 50%, so this is a life saver against rogues and warriors, as they crit a lot, you can run like crazy and have enough time to cast your healings spell.

Its an awesome spec, so learn to play it and own your enemies.

But of course, you are only going to learn it by practicing, learn with your experience.

Good luck.
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by Naja View Post
    Another great skill from this spec is Hastened Withdrawl, its a passive. Whenever you get critically hit, your speed is increased by 50%, so this is a life saver against rogues and warriors, as they crit a lot, you can run like crazy and have enough time to cast your healings spell.

Good luck.
    Hastened withdrawal has a 5-10% chance on physical damage to increase run speed by 50%.
    Valery@Zaviel - Mage | Valzz - Cleric | Soulsky - Rogue | Introvert - Warrior
    Everything you need to know for Mage: www.valvalval.net

Rift Master

Archon isn't terrible in PvP. It's just not very interesting.

Yeah, sounds like you want to play Domi/Chloro.

Don't use the cookie cutter builds! Use the what I like to call "You can't lose to a blue bar build" 37/19/10 domi/chloro/am!

Although, Domi/lock is amazingly fun if you have heals. Believe I run 32/16/18 Domi/Lock/AM atm, but it is a work in progress.
    Last edited by Calibix; 08-30-2011 at 12:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soul sky View Post
    Hastened withdrawal has a 5-10% chance on physical damage to increase run speed by 50%.
    Yes, its 10%, but when you are getting critically hit a dozen times by a nasty rogue, you will see that it procs almost as if it would be 100%.

The withdrawl here is it does not proc again for next 15 seconds, but this is a life saver skill and makes your spec more mobile.
    ----

Telaran

you need p4 for this spec but its as pvpish as archon gets. majority of the time you stand there spamming cleanses and purges while maybe tossing flaring power so your not gonna show up high on the scores. for pyro tree all you really want is flicker. so feel free to move your points if you find anything useful. you make your self useful by saving healers and fueling there mana. http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...Rf0qkrz.xx0R0b

next in line would be chloro dom which is mentioned above and is considered alot more effective for smaller group play. either way those are our main support builds with chloro dom being the favored.

51 dom is pvp support usually mixed with the overload talent from archmage or chloro sometimes even pyro for flicker. I personally would use 51 0 15 dominator archon archmage

and here my personal invention i found not to be great but unique and situational.http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...krz.Msiurk0Mbz casting flaring power on your shades is a lil too strong but not as strong as pyro domi. I'd list that one but its more of nuke spec.

Quote Originally Posted by jinkies1234 View Post
    you need p4 for this spec but its as pvpish as archon gets. majority of the time you stand there spamming cleanses and purges while maybe tossing flaring power so your not gonna show up high on the scores. for pyro tree all you really want is flicker. so feel free to move your points if you find anything useful. you make your self useful by saving healers and fueling there mana. http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...Rf0qkrz.xx0R0b

next in line would be chloro dom which is mentioned above and is considered alot more effective for smaller group play. either way those are our main support builds with chloro dom being the favored.

51 dom is pvp support usually mixed with the overload talent from archmage or chloro sometimes even pyro for flicker. I personally would use 51 0 15 dominator archon archmage

and here my personal invention i found not to be great but unique and situational.http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...krz.Msiurk0Mbz casting flaring power on your shades is a lil too strong but not as strong as pyro domi. I'd list that one but its more of nuke spec.
    Wish I had 10 spec slots to use those "very situational" specs.
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by AricTargaryen View Post
    Im on a pvp, i want to become more of a support role, not just healing as with chloro, but to support with other means.

Also should that be paired with DOT or DPS.

Examples needed, please define the acronyms, for I am not just new the the game but new to genre

Shard- Freeholme

Name- AemonTargaryen

Thank you for your input.

The best offensive support class in PvP is Dominator, hands down. You can disable and shut down the enemy team with so many things, reflects, mana/energy/power drains, high damage, AoE silence and reflects, slows, stuns, confusions, cast time reductions, heal debuffs... and the almighty insta-cast-turn-someone-into-a-squirrel (the most OP skill in the game). It pairs with everything. I run Sc/Dom, and Dom/Chloro, even 51 Dom is brutal.

Personally Dom/Chloro is probably your best bet. Warning though, it is the hardest mage class to master with so many conditional plays you have to learn, however the payout is great as imo is the best 1v1 and group support pvp spec period.

The best support defensively is an archon, if you are full archon on any raid team, you are valuable to your team! You buff and support, even in PvP, and the rest of the teams DPS/HPS will skyrocket because of you alone.
    Menaace - P50 Mage, Annihilator, Executioner, <MMAC> Guild Leader
    Talent has no gearscore
    MMAC vs Vinco 20v20
    Menaace 1.7, 5-Spec, PvP VIDEO
    MMAC vs TFS 10v10's Episode 1 (with commentary)

Telaran

Default Archon pvp

Archon is great for pvp.

You have no survivability however your buffs greatly help your team and you can debuff their healers.

Honestly though the only spec that has survivability is lock. Hence why chloro/lock is so popular.

Your nukes are also hitting for around 1500-2000 damage, with the proc.

Those make it hard for a cleric to keep themselves up with a warrior on them.

You can debuff their top dps and increase the damage they take as well.

Default Thank you all very much

Please keep up the thought challenges and rebuttals, this is teaching me very much. Tank you all for not using acronyms for EVERYTHING.

Most importantly even if it seems you are re-stating what another has previously said; it may still help me with your wording being that I am new to the genre.

Quote Originally Posted by AricTargaryen View Post
    Please keep up the thought challenges and rebuttals, this is teaching me very much. Tank you all for not using acronyms for EVERYTHING.

Most importantly even if it seems you are re-stating what another has previously said; it may still help me with your wording being that I am new to the genre.

I hope you find something interesting here. And good luck with your practicing.

Takes time to be a skilled player.

I'm playing Rift for 6 months, and I still think I have a lot to learn.
    ----

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast