+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Mage High End DPS

Shield of Telara

Default Mage High End DPS

I have a question on top Mage DPS, and am wondering what I can do to improve.

I play a necro/lock and am fully T3ed out + MainHand/OffHand relic from GSB/ROS. All BIS gear except for one ring. (Pre HK) Now I know when HK was released there were mages doing 2k+ damage, and I am just wondering where and or how.

I am not a crappy player by no means, but just feel I am missing something here.

My best parse was around 1700 on Pluto, on murdantix I was doing about 1600.

I've tried the Necro/Lock with Defile, Necro Lock with ETC. Pyro/Ele.

I just can't seem to get to that 2k threshold even though I know it's doable.
    I use consumables, even the horse **** Trion makes you soend 4 EPDs on lol.

I make sure to refresh my dots when FP goes up and right before it goes down, same with SLM.

I am always on top of refreshing the dots right before they go off etc.

I know there is some god awful SC spec that has one ****ed up rotation, and if that is what this top end dps is, that is a shameeee lol. Highly doubt it.

Any Ideas? tips or hints?

And yeah yeah, we all get the posts

"Get better scrub" blagh blagh blagh.
    Pooshonmyshoos - 60 Mage <Damaged PvPness>
    Imafkdisbich - 60 Warrior <Damaged PvPness>

Soulwalker

In mostly t3(still have 3 t2s) with relic gs staff im getting about 1900 on plutonus with the 35/31 necrolock build. Is your tank running spotters orders? are there other necros in the raid that might be eating your DC without applying their own? The rotation im using is 5x PS, etc, necrosis, dark touch, life leech, draining bolt, void bolt to refresh LL, and soul purge as often as possible. Also throw looming if.someone else isn't.already. We also.have our arcon throw plague bolts since.we.run like.3.necrolock it helps a bit

I would sound off with the OP here. I am in the same boat. I am in mostly T3 with 1 or 2 rank 5 and a staff from GSB and no matter how hard I try to keep my rotations tight, I reasearch EVERY day and cannot seem to push my DPS to the threshold I am told I should be at. In SC/ele spec I pull at best 1200-1500 and pyro/ele it's closer to 1300-1600. Last night I was in DH with my buddies pulling about 1200-1400 on average on Hydriss. I was told that's OK dps but it's still LOW for me. I am at my wits end,.. last nerve is being bounced upon, ready to crack and do like every other mage lately and shelf my class and go play a warrior or rogue so I can actually do decent DPS. If there is a sweet spot where mages can do phenomenal DPS over the 2k mark I REALLY would liek to know what it is and how its done. I'm not asking for a handout, I've been working on this for months now,. streamlining, reworking specs, researching day in and day out,.. I'm going fricking nutz and while I love my mage I'm about ready to drop her in the pit of Doom and be done with it. if anyone can help, PLEASE help!

Quote Originally Posted by soulaura View Post
    In mostly t3(still have 3 t2s) with relic gs staff im getting about 1900 on plutonus with the 35/31 necrolock build. Is your tank running spotters orders? are there other necros in the raid that might be eating your DC without applying their own? The rotation im using is 5x PS, etc, necrosis, dark touch, life leech, draining bolt, void bolt to refresh LL, and soul purge as often as possible. Also throw looming if.someone else isn't.already. We also.have our arcon throw plague bolts since.we.run like.3.necrolock it helps a bit
    Soul could I see a link to your build? sounds like I should be able to pull that off too but I'd liek to try it out on the dummies and in a DRR. thanks

Rez
    Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Pooshonmyshoos View Post
    I am always on top of refreshing the dots right before they go off etc.
    If you're refreshing the dots right before they go off then you might be missing their last tick of damage, play around with that and make sure you refresh them after you get all the damage you can out of the gcd. I know some skills/dots apply damage right at the 0 sec timer or I believe Defile doesn't do any damage for the last second or 2 but I haven't personally tested that myself.

I should be testing all this before I post to double check, but I'm at work so take it all with a grain of salt.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Rez View Post
    If you're refreshing the dots right before they go off then you might be missing their last tick of damage, play around with that and make sure you refresh them after you get all the damage you can out of the gcd. I know some skills/dots apply damage right at the 0 sec timer or I believe Defile doesn't do any damage for the last second or 2 but I haven't personally tested that myself.

I should be testing all this before I post to double check, but I'm at work so take it all with a grain of salt.
    You are correct,most of.our dots tick at zero so don't clip them

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Chauni View Post
    Soul could I see a link to your build? sounds like I should be able to pull that off too but I'd liek to try it out on the dummies and in a DRR. thanks
    No prob when i get.off work ill post.it

Champion

1) Consumables? If you aren't using the best of the best, you won't be able to hit 2k.
    2) Cooldowns corresponding with Flaring Power? All your damage buffs have to be hit at the same time as Flaring Power. If your Archon isn't communicating that, they need to.
    3) Clerics using Soul Drain? Makes the mob take 7% more magic damage. This stacks with the Archon debuff.

As someone else said, refresh DoTs after their last tick. You want to keep Soul Purge up as much as physically possible. If you only have a brief period to do something before you need to refresh DoTs and you're at 100% charge, Soul Purge for 3 ticks and then refresh DoTs, then go back to Soul Purge.

GSB: 5/5, RoS: 4/4, HK: 10/11
    GP: 4/4, DH: 4/4

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Chauni View Post
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...Vtkzs.ecMhkVVx

33/33 build. In checking the parse, i found out our archon wasn't hitting plague bolts so its a bit lower than expected, but here ya go In full t3 you should be able to get 2k out of this.

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/2457/unledwba.jpg

Soulwalker

Default soulaura

Would be willing to share any macros u use for that spec? I'm a frustrated Pyro who would like more dps...
    thanx much

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by coldnovembre View Post
    Would be willing to share any macros u use for that spec? I'm a frustrated Pyro who would like more dps...
    thanx much
    Honestly this spec isn't too macro friendly so i only have one.

#show void bolt
    suppressmacrofailures
    petattack
    petcast jagged wound
    petcast soul rend
    petcast blood spike
    cast sacrifice life: damage
    cast lich form
    cast draining bolt
    cast void bolt

You can take out the cooldowns on fights where you are better served timing them w/ flaring power or just a burn phase in general.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by FireWraith View Post
    1) Consumables? If you aren't using the best of the best, you won't be able to hit 2k.
    2) Cooldowns corresponding with Flaring Power? All your damage buffs have to be hit at the same time as Flaring Power. If your Archon isn't communicating that, they need to.
    3) Clerics using Soul Drain? Makes the mob take 7% more magic damage. This stacks with the Archon debuff.

As someone else said, refresh DoTs after their last tick. You want to keep Soul Purge up as much as physically possible. If you only have a brief period to do something before you need to refresh DoTs and you're at 100% charge, Soul Purge for 3 ticks and then refresh DoTs, then go back to Soul Purge.

As in my first post

"I use consumables, even the horse **** Trion makes you soend 4 EPDs on lol."

So yes, I use the best of the best. Not to mention I have 2 very nice proccing weapons.

So as for what I got from this thread, I should recast my dots like exactly as they wear off?

When I use Sac Life Damage, does that stack with FP? I always used it when FP was not up, and would refresh dots right when I cast it, and right before it goes down.

As for GR...I use it, and then don't. . . I don't see that big of a DPS increase. . . I heard it doesn't exactly add that much?? Also whats the "optiomum dps" spec? 33/33 or 35/31?
    Last edited by Pooshonmyshoos; 08-29-2011 at 03:09 PM.

I would actually like to know what mages are doing on Sicaron. I've only spent one night DPSing on him and was doing 2.6K with SC/Ele.

Anyway my tips would be:

1. Make sure your spec suits the fight - if the fight is movement don't play Pyro/Ele etc
    2. Consumables - 40/40 or 35/35 Vials + 200 SP Powerstone + your juicy Drake Filet
    3. PvP gear - it's the best stuff you'll be wearing until your guild has HK on farm.
    4. Know your rotations - in movement phases you should know how you can squeeze out your DPS while still moving (ie things like refreshing DoTs in your necro/lock specs - using cloudburst without letting your stacks of electrified drop in SC/Ele etc).
    5. Make sure your syncing your buffs with the other raid CD's going on like Darkling Skull and SD etc.
    Last edited by ArchivistCarrion; 08-29-2011 at 03:55 PM.
    JD - Formerly Archivist
    ||P8 Mage||11/11 HK||
    Breaking Bads @ Seastone
    Recruiting 1 Warrior or Rogue Tank - Apply on the Website!!

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by ArchivistCarrion View Post
    I would actually like to know what mages are doing on Sicaron. I've only spent one night DPSing on him and was doing 2.6K with SC/Ele.

Anyway my tips would be:

1. Make sure your spec suits the fight - if the fight is movement don't play Pyro/Ele etc
    2. Consumables - 40/40 or 35/35 Vials + 200 SP Powerstone + your juicy Drake Filet
    3. PvP gear - it's the best stuff you'll be wearing until your guild has HK on farm.
    4. Know your rotations - in movement phases you should know how you can squeeze out your DPS while still moving (ie things like refreshing DoTs in your necro/lock specs - using cloudburst without letting your stacks of electrified drop in SC/Ele etc).
    5. Make sure your syncing your buffs with the other raid CD's going on like Darkling Skull and SD etc.
    Guessing Sc/ele Complex *** rotation?

If so, **** that ****, and if thats what mages need to do to get there, **** everybody lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchivistCarrion View Post

Anyway my tips would be:

In response to this ,....

1 - Check
    2 - check
    3 - I typically wear a mix of tier 3 and pvp gear. Right now I'm prestige 6 almost 7 and I need to keep my focus at least to 220 but with my mix its usually closer to 290 and if I trade in a ring goes to 329. Not sure if a full 5 and 6 set is better than a mix of tier 3 and rank 5 and 6,.. wearing a 3 piece crafted tormentor set, shoulders, ring and chest, theurgist legs, GSB trean heartwood staff, PVE DPS core, tier 3 boots, gloves, head theirgist belt with wand of excess from GP.
    4 - check
    5 - check

Short of gear I cover all the bases pretty closely and still come up with mediocre DPS.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast