+ Reply to Thread

Thread: About To Venture In Magery....

Default About To Venture In Magery....

so its almost time for me to start a new alt toon and i need advice please
    i will be with a bard duo at all times
    what is the best mage spec to go with bard?
    WFH & BYOB - www.kingtj.net

Are you primarily going to level off of duoing quests, doing dungeons, or PvP?

If duoing, then definitely something paired with Ele for the pet. Personally, I leveled all the way up to 50 with SC/Ele.

As for dungeons, Necrolock seems very popular. Or you could always Chloro and heal.

Ascendant

necro (pet before 30 = awesome. 2 pets even better. 16 points= soul purge. 21 points = rogue pet, 22 points = feign death)
    lock (charge or void bolt, opportunity, health & draining bolt, crit, damage, damage, survive)

as a second spec go chloro/lock for dungeons.
    Last edited by ururu; 08-26-2011 at 07:08 AM.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by ururu View Post
    necro (pet before 30 = awesome. 2 pets even better. 16 points= soul purge. 21 points = rogue pet, 22 points = feign death)
    lock (charge or void bolt, opportunity, health & draining bolt, crit, damage, damage, survive)

as a second spec go chloro/lock for dungeons.

What he said, I leveled a mage in 1.1, everyone loved necrolock, it bored me to death, Chloro/lock (up to phytogenesis in chloro, then straight up warlock to 32 points, then finishing off chloro) wasn't really talked about in that time, but I found it, and it's honestly much much more fun

You basically gather up mobs with life drain, 4-5 or more, hit spores -> dark touch -> Radiate death -> devouring shadows and watch the mobs melt.

Need health? bam, bloom. single pull with vile spores to get the LGV heal.

That said if you want a pet, necro/lock is definitely the way to go.

ya i was thinking or going elem for the rock tank with chlor for heals and dps. but in my other thread i think that turned out to be an unneeded or useless spec. and it seems the necroloc is too good to not have at all lvls so im thinking if the bard goes bard/rngr(tank pig)/nb, then i did either chlor/dom/arco that we would be an ok duo team for questing till 30.
    but after 30 seems one of us will have to main either ranger or elementalist, so next question -
    any of u ever did deep or full elem spec? and/or has anyone experience with a mage tank spec?

Ascendant

if you want to level quickly.. go necro/lock.

in the late 30s-50 elementalist or stormcaller or chloro become really viable in aoe pull specs.. be careful though, you'll need a lot of $ at 50. (mage crafted gear is quite good. 5th role. mount.)
    Last edited by ururu; 08-26-2011 at 08:04 AM.

if your making a mage necro lock will be the easiest most efficient and fastest way to level

i recommend u wait till 1.5 or 1.6 to make a mage tho. just so your not disappointed

Quote Originally Posted by extinction View Post
    if your making a mage necro lock will be the easiest most efficient and fastest way to level
    i recommend u wait till 1.5 or 1.6 to make a mage tho. just so your not disappointed
    not sure what u meant there, can u explain a little more please?

Quote Originally Posted by TJ74 View Post
    not sure what u meant there, can u explain a little more please?
    I think he's trying to say that mages are currently gimp. I don't agree with that assessment, but I've yet to do raids harder than DH and GP (missed the guild run of GSB last night). In any case, I tend to get stuck as Archon (if we have no Bard) or Chloromancer (if we need a raid healer) simply because I'm either the only mage, or the only mage that openly states availability of other roles. On the plus side, it also all but ensures I get anything the loot council decides is "Mage loot" regardless of how many things I get in a given raid. But in the times I do DPS a raid boss, I tend to get around 800-1000 depending on how much movement is involved. Usually the lowest, but if the boss dies I don't care. The guild leadership doesn't seem to mind either.

Anyhow, if your friend is playing a Bard then Elementalist is a good choice for the tank pet, which is far more durable than the Necro tank pet in my experience. I think you only need 21 or 26 points in elementalist for the Greater pets, same for Necro. As a paired soul, Stormcaller as mentioned in other posts can be quite a bit of fun but if you're not careful can lead to pulls larger than you wanted. I did Pyromancer personally, just because I'd rather toss fire around than lightning.

As for other souls you can mess around with, 0 in Archon gets you two nice self-buffs. Dominator lets you turn others into squirrels, though I haven't really done much experimenting deep into Dom so I can't speak for its usefulness beyond 10 points. Chloromancer is an interesting healing spec, and can also be used as Support in case your friend gets sick of Bard (especially if you pair it with Warlock or Archon).

As with any calling, be sure to experiment with other souls as you level since you may find certain combinations work better for you. Welcome to Magehood!

Quote Originally Posted by Gehrgontra View Post
    I think he's trying to say that mages are currently gimp. I don't agree with that assessment!
    its not as apparent early on such as when ur leveling or when ur a fresh 50 but later on when you got good gear it quickly becomes apparent

although i will say dom/chloro pvp is fun.

Ascendant

Ignoring the attempts to QQ, Mages are quite a fun calling to play as. To be honest, by your friend playing as Bard, you'll be killing slower than is really necessary.

Take 8 points into Chloromancer, the earlier, the better. Bloom is just too useful for a Mage, and you'll be able to help your ally as well. Then, experiment with the different souls. Some are more fun than others, in my opinion. If you want overall efficiency, go Necromancer. Put your Zealot pet (21 points in) on Defensive and spam Necrosis followed by Looming Demise on every target. Your Zealot will slaughter everything. Use Soul Purge to burn your charge, or when your Zealot is injured.

Soulwalker

If you want top DPS. I would easily say Pyromancer, Stormcaller, and Warlock. Pyro will give you some of the best DPS in game, plenty of burst damage. Storm caller should have a lot of crowd control abilities along with nice burst damage as well. Warlock is the icing on the cake, and will make your class. Excellent DOT spells and life draining spells that should keep you full of health if for some reason your Bard can not. I highly recommend this build. You will dominate in PVP and mostly PVE. By the way, this is all in my humble opinion.

Telaran

Hm, if you constantly have a Bard around to spam Cadence, I'd be inclined to think you'd want aoe damage. Maybe 16 Pyro 5 Ele 0 Chloro. That gives you the golem pet, Firestorm and Radiant Spores at lv16. Then build Ele up for greater golem, Quicken Elements and Burning Ground.

+ Reply to Thread