+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cyphus

Thread: Gonna try a Storm caller

Default Gonna try a Storm caller

Im going to try out a SC for PVP/E. Now I know for people say"Don't PvP with it, SC snares are on DR's but, I don't know, it seems really fun and I would like to try it our for myself. Is there anyone who PvP's with it that isn't getting laughed at?
    Naetharion-Warrior of Wolfsbane
    "Basically when you're a Warrior you just look at everybody like they're a piece of Sh*t."-Gearbreaker
    Lambpasta-Mage of Wolfsbane
    "Go Squirrel Crazy!"

Shadowlander

Stormcaller is really fun to play it feels good when the people you are targeting don't remove your electrify because when you crit with LB you have every right to say KA-BOOM! That aside

Playing Storm is like being a sniper pretty much. I'm stating fact not opinion. You'll wanna stay behind in the distance and get your electrifies up and follow up with an LB. It is massive dmg when it crits however do not get discouraged if you don't get the big hits often. Higher ranks you'll prolly only crit 2k depending on your own rank that is. There are plenty of threads in here that can talk about stormcaller in greater detail than I can.

Also run... just run away if a war even looks in your direction, I know it'll be annoying since mages are always targeted. c'mon who wouldnt want a free kill? And thats any spec. But there are those who will come in here and say "If your good in some specs you can beat anyone as a mage it just takes skill" Anyway Im gettin off topic eh? Some useful talents are of course ride the wind and in the arch mage tree spec for the crits and lament. Long CD but guarantees LB will crit and it is so pretty when it does! There's another talent in archmage you may want but I cant remember it... something escape I think. If you have any more questions I highly recommend Bluedot. Google Bluedot mage guides and it should pop right up. Theres even a nice stormcaller build on there and it walks you through what to put in each tree. Although depending on your own playstyle you might change it a bit i did Hope it helps and goodluck have fun with it while you can. Knowing Trion it will get nerf'd next patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyphus View Post
    Stormcaller is really fun to play it feels good when the people you are targeting don't remove your electrify because when you crit with LB you have every right to say KA-BOOM! That aside

Playing Storm is like being a sniper pretty much. I'm stating fact not opinion. You'll wanna stay behind in the distance and get your electrifies up and follow up with an LB. It is massive dmg when it crits however do not get discouraged if you don't get the big hits often. Higher ranks you'll prolly only crit 2k depending on your own rank that is. There are plenty of threads in here that can talk about stormcaller in greater detail than I can.

Also run... just run away if a war even looks in your direction, I know it'll be annoying since mages are always targeted. c'mon who wouldnt want a free kill? And thats any spec. But there are those who will come in here and say "If your good in some specs you can beat anyone as a mage it just takes skill" Anyway Im gettin off topic eh? Some useful talents are of course ride the wind and in the arch mage tree spec for the crits and lament. Long CD but guarantees LB will crit and it is so pretty when it does! There's another talent in archmage you may want but I cant remember it... something escape I think. If you have any more questions I highly recommend Bluedot. Google Bluedot mage guides and it should pop right up. Theres even a nice stormcaller build on there and it walks you through what to put in each tree. Although depending on your own playstyle you might change it a bit i did Hope it helps and goodluck have fun with it while you can. Knowing Trion it will get nerf'd next patch.
    Thanks so much I'm gonna start while the bonuses are up.
    Naetharion-Warrior of Wolfsbane
    "Basically when you're a Warrior you just look at everybody like they're a piece of Sh*t."-Gearbreaker
    Lambpasta-Mage of Wolfsbane
    "Go Squirrel Crazy!"

Shield of Telara

I agree, Bluedot's 44/18/4 build is a blast. I moved around some points and got building storm though, it seems silly to not take full advantage of Absolute Zero, especially since going that deep into SC gives you 10-13% more water damage.

If you're good you can beat anyone as a mage; it just takes skill, 1800 spell power, 8k HP, and 1100 valor.
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Vice Chairman of the Defiant Repopulation Committee
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

Joking aside, SC is a good burst class, but requires support. It has no self heals, and it's survival mechanic (kiting) involves depending on other of your team to pay some attention to your health bar.

SC is the best kiter-mage, second only to MM overall. Ride the wind gives you near-mount speed and can be maintained permanently.

The burst set up is somewhat long, but it has potential to 2-hit even the harder PVP targets (assuming no damage reduction CDs are used). I have yet to try it as a P8 mage, but when I was playing with it at p6 it was able to drop two 3.5k hits on a single 900+ valor target within a second of each other. (Building storm AB + LB)

I think it went something like this.
    Last edited by Hethroin; 08-26-2011 at 06:08 AM.
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Vice Chairman of the Defiant Repopulation Committee
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

Soulwalker

As others have already said, 44 stormcaller is best used in a good team with good healers and with good warriors taking focus. You are able to provide awesome aoe and burst to "finish off" enemies. It all relies on the idea that you are squishy and have no way of escape on your own if you get focused, so your team has to save you.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Hethroin View Post
    If you're good you can beat anyone as a mage; it just takes skill, 1800 spell power, 8k HP, and 1100 valor.
    ^ ya that exactly that lol and you will still most likely get pwnd by a lower rank war or rogue. I recently saw a thread where a war was complaining that he saw a mage with 8k hp. lulz apparently we cant have high hp or dmg or armor Anyway for future reference always check bluedot really great stuff.

44 sc 18 am 4 ele is ridiculously good. The burst damage is a little bit too good in pvp so I fear it will get nerfed. At p5 (I just dinged p6 so not tested it with extra 125 sp from crystal) my highest crit on a player with Lightning Burst was 6060 (mostly r4/5 gear with some t1 raid and powerstone), though most of the time on targets with any valor at all it is between 3k-3,5k with some crits going as high as 4k. If you find a target with less than 4500 health you can assume low valor, so just build electrified, pop ice shear and static flux, and maybe Nenvin's Lament if you really want them dead and just watch them die as LB crits them for all their remaining health (doesn't matter if they get healed).

BUT, and this is a really big but. You are EXTREMELY squishy, you can kite and Storm Guard really helps to soften any melee on you, just a shame it's bugged and not providing electrified like it should. Though if you let a warrior get into melee range you're toast most of the time unless you get a Hastened Withdrawal proc as well as popping a knockback/root and Ride the Wind. And fighting any sort of ranged you just have to hope you can get your damage off before they kill you (CB spam when you have ice shear up might be better as you can try to move to force them into instants instead of cast time spells).
    Last edited by Vayra; 08-26-2011 at 05:00 PM.
    -The Unnamed- Defiant
    Vayra - Mage
    Forkrul - Cleric
    Kalyth - FOTM warrior in training, 5k pvp kills at lvl 28

+ Reply to Thread