+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 38/28 Necrolock questions...

Default 38/28 Necrolock questions...

I'm fairly new to my mage, this is my second 50, and I had a few questions about the necrolock spec...

I know you have to apply stacks of deathly calling, but is Grave Rot the only viable way to do it? Would simply spamming plague bolt be much of a dps decrease? It doesn't do signifigantly less than void bolt and having up stacks of DC increases it's damage.

Is using draining bolt a dps increase? It seems to do less than a void bolt would in it's place, and always using it off it's CD makes me almost miss the timing in refreshing life leech with void bolt in my regular rotation.

Also, is 38/28 the best necrolock raiding spec atm? I've seen mixed things and have been told 35/31 may be better. If someone could post the points as well it would be nice. I've also seen some mixed things as to how people have specced their characters.

Thanks in advance for the help.
    Last edited by Celese; 08-25-2011 at 08:56 PM.

Plane Touched

Defile is bugged. So you might go 35/31 anyways.

Rift Disciple

defile is bugged where it will never do the last tic of dmg
    that being said for movement heavy fight the spec is amazing
    and to answer you question yes grave rot is the only reliable way to apply deathly calling
    plague has a 2 second cast time void bolt being 1.5 and void refreshes your life leech

Rift Chaser

Wait... it's still bugged? I remember testing that a while back, and I thought it was fixed.

FML and I just respecced my mobile dps spec to 38/28 :/

Oh and regarding grave rot/dc - there was a pot in another forum where someone showed that applying stacks of DC was not a dps increase overall. In other words your pet wasn't gaining as much as it is stated, and that you're better off just ignoring DC completely.
    Last edited by Pyrocaster; 08-26-2011 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrocaster View Post
    Wait... it's still bugged? I remember testing that a while back, and I thought it was fixed.

FML and I just respecced my mobile dps spec to 38/28 :/

Oh and regarding grave rot/dc - there was a pot in another forum where someone showed that applying stacks of DC was not a dps increase overall. In other words your pet wasn't gaining as much as it is stated, and that you're better off just ignoring DC completely.
    YAY. I hate having to mix in grave rot. I'm really bad at placing ground aoes
    Xail - R41 Mage
    Guardian
    <We Are Legend>

Rift Chaser

Defile spec is not better for movement fights. It is easier. So the results seem better for mage that refuse to, or are not allowed to, try multiple specs in an actual raid environment. But still, NecroLock beats it like a foster kid and so does Pyro/Ele and SC/Ele.

I PARSE HIGHER THAN SOME PEOPLE DO BECAUSE I TRY OTHER THINGS THAN THEY DO
    Last edited by NerfMePlease; 08-26-2011 at 09:30 PM.

Prophet of Telara

I removed draining bolt from my macro when I was running 31/35, but 28/38 has so much less SP uptime (and therefore more void bolt spam) that you shouldn't have a problem using it on CD. Yes, it is a (single digit) DPS increase.

Manage the defile bug by refreshing the moment it reads 1s on the dot, and hope it get fixed soon.

Ascendant

I parsed 1900ish on PTS with lock synergy unbuffed on the dummy w/ 38/28. I parse almost 200 less than 31/35 necrolock on the dummy on live w/ r8 gear. It's a bad spec, but has a great crystal. Soon it will be good!

Ascendant

oops should clarify. I parse almost 200 less than 31/35 with 28/38 on live

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Stimuz View Post
    I parsed 1900ish on PTS with lock synergy unbuffed on the dummy w/ 38/28. I parse almost 200 less than 31/35 necrolock on the dummy on live w/ r8 gear. It's a bad spec, but has a great crystal. Soon it will be good!
    I think the thing I'm looking for in a necrolock spec is constant movement... basically murdantix p3 and p4. When we did Murd this week, i was dps, and I was pyro, and... it was bad. Very bad. Like I could do more dps solo'ing a dummy bad. That last phase, there's just not much a pyro can do running so much. I would have to assume that a soul purge based spec would have the same issues, versus running dots and shoot-and-scooting VB's.

I would say it will be viable - I don't know about good. Will the crystal stack with tempest? If so, I think we might see people trying a 38lock/28 ele thing. THAT might be pretty damn good. Plus, I always dream about 51 point specs being viable... I'd have to wonder if a 51 lock spec might work.

Ascendant

I think the thing I'm looking for in a necrolock spec is constant movement... basically murdantix p3 and p4. When we did Murd this week, i was dps, and I was pyro, and... it was bad. Very bad. Like I could do more dps solo'ing a dummy bad. That last phase, there's just not much a pyro can do running so much. I would have to assume that a soul purge based spec would have the same issues, versus running dots and shoot-and-scooting VB's.

I would say it will be viable - I don't know about good. Will the crystal stack with tempest? If so, I think we might see people trying a 38lock/28 ele thing. THAT might be pretty damn good. Plus, I always dream about 51 point specs being viable... I'd have to wonder if a 51 lock spec might work.
    The only difference between 28/38 and standard necro/lock is defile. It doesn't give you much of a mobility advantage at all. 28/38 should beat out std necro/lock once 4 pc synergy crystal set is complete though assuming you have 40-45~ crit unbuffed which you should by the time you have 4 pc. The 2 pc bonus effects soul purge as well.

Soulwalker

The only difference between 28/38 and standard necro/lock is defile. It doesn't give you much of a mobility advantage at all. 28/38 should beat out std necro/lock once 4 pc synergy crystal set is complete though assuming you have 40-45~ crit unbuffed which you should by the time you have 4 pc. The 2 pc bonus effects soul purge as well.
    I usually run SC/ELE for my mobile dps spec. If you spam cloudburst once debuffs are up its a super mobile single target spec. Does this make me bad?

Prophet of Telara

The extra gcd every 14 seconds is quite significant in terms of movement, not to mention the reduced dependence on soul purge.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by bonehole View Post
    I usually run SC/ELE for my mobile dps spec. If you spam cloudburst once debuffs are up its a super mobile single target spec. Does this make me bad?
    That's actually a pretty decent strat IMO, as long as you aren't moving too long. Even "stationary" fights like matron have some movement components. A good example would be greenscale, where other than the air phase, you can shoot and scoot with instants, and stay planted to hard cast at other times.

This is the opposite of reality. Do not listen.
    Last edited by Capri Moon; 08-28-2011 at 05:41 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast