+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36

Thread: Query: If warrior Mark-bought chest has 50 tough, why does mage chest not have focus?

  1. #1
    Plane Walker Suga's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Southeast USA
    Posts
    449

    Default Query: If warrior Mark-bought chest has 50 tough, why does mage chest not have focus?

    It's a simple question. Why are mark-bought gear pieces not comparable?

    Mage gear does not have focus stats that correspond to warrior tank gear and dps gear.

    Tank gear has much more toughness than Mage gear has focus. Warrior dps gear has much more hit than Mage gear has focus.

    Not only do we deal with Much more complex rotations, produce much Less dps, but our gear is also nerfed...

    What gives? Who is the mage designer, and does he/she function as an advocate for the class?

  2. #2
    Plane Walker Suga's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Southeast USA
    Posts
    449

    Default

    Specific numbers:

    Warrior plate set bought with Marks of ascension: 200 toughness and 78 hit

    Mage cloth set bought with Marks of Ascension: 72 focus

  3. #3
    RIFT Community Ambassador bluedot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,486

    Default

    There is a total of 13 - 14 (2hand vs 1hand) gear slots. Looking at 6 of them (less then half) will produce skewed results.

  4. #4
    Plane Walker Suga's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Southeast USA
    Posts
    449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluedot View Post
    There is a total of 13 - 14 (2hand vs 1hand) gear slots. Looking at 6 of them (less then half) will produce skewed results.
    Not a very helpful response, but thanks. It's not like I'm looking at my weapons, rings, necklace and seeing "holy cripes that's a lot of focus!" As a community ambassador, it would be appropriate for this to also be apparent to you, Bluedot. Not an attack, just a fact. Perhaps some exposure to "normal" raiders would be enlightening. (ie, not hardcore min/max BIS'ers, but folks making normal progression through the dungeons.)

    This problem has arisen because I'm looking at the stats of my raid-won gear compared to raid-won gear of other classes. As I approach Hammerknell, and the need for 325 focus, I'm falling about 30 points short. As I began to compare my gear to the warriors who are already able to hit 325+ with fewer raid pieces than I have, the source of the discrepancy became rapidly apparent.

    I'd like to hear from a Trion employee, please.

  5. #5
    Plane Walker Suga's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Southeast USA
    Posts
    449

    Default

    Okay, in a way, you are correct in that warriors don't get toughness from the weapons, rings, necklace... etc.

    They get hit... which is fair considering warriors use both.

    They get 180-200 hit from a raid set, then get to add the 72 hit that comes from the armor side...

    My mage has 198 focus from the "right side" of the gear sheet... and gets to add 72 focus from armor.

    Overall, however, this still falls short of requirements for Hammerknell. So, I'm still curious about the math.

  6. #6
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Because mage's aren't warriors, and focus isn't toughness.

    Oh, and because there isn't toughness on weapons, rings, or ranged items. And we only need 320 focus as mages, while warriors need both 200++ toughness and 320 hit.

    Stats that are for different classes shouldn't be compared.

  7. #7
    Plane Walker Suga's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Southeast USA
    Posts
    449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryuji View Post
    Because mage's aren't warriors, and focus isn't toughness.

    Oh, and because there isn't toughness on weapons, rings, or ranged items. And we only need 320 focus as mages, while warriors need both 200++ toughness and 320 hit.

    Stats that are for different classes shouldn't be compared.
    Of course mages aren't warriors and focus isn't toughness. However, we still have target numbers to hit, and I see T2 Raid gear falling short, focus-wise, of hitting the target for HKnell... hence the query.

    I do believe it is absolutely fair to compare how much T2 gear equips different classes for T3 raiding. It's also fair to wonder where extra tough/hit/focus is to come from should the gear fall short.

    Anyone have any helpful hints? We're all in the same mage boat here. I believe we all want our class to be treated equally to other classes.

    I know warriors also have abilities to raise hit. I'm not aware of any abilities in my dps mage souls that raise focus. Am I missing something?
    Last edited by Suga; 08-25-2011 at 04:20 PM.

  8. #8
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Well here's what I'm packing:

    Set gloves - 34 focus
    set hat - 38 focus
    Crappy blue wand from a T2 - 33 focus
    Entropy dagger from a T2 - 26 focus
    Promordial edict offhand from one of the GSB bosses - 35 focus
    Shadestone amulet neck from questline - 34 focus
    Ring from CC - 29 focus
    Ring from DH - 32 focus

    Altogether that gives me... 261 focus

    Can adorn head and pants cheaply to pick up 36 more focus, which brings it up to 297

    Can adorn weapon and ranged shot cheaply for 21 more focus which would get me up to 318 focus, and if you spent a bit more money on one of those enchants you'd be up over 320. Also an option is the focus essence for your source machine but I'm guessing that's probably the worst option.

    I'm also using T2 weapon and wand, using raid quality stuff would reduce my need for enchantments too.
    Last edited by SydneyCarton; 08-25-2011 at 04:45 PM.

  9. #9
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Forgot twisted dirk of the arcane, 36 focus weapon I keep in my bag from RD, so that bumps everything up ten.

  10. #10
    Plane Walker Suga's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Southeast USA
    Posts
    449

    Default

    Okay, so, Where does one find focus runes for helm and legs? I'm only aware of them for off-hand main-hand ranged.

  11. #11
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    750

    Default

    Radiant Sharp Rune

    HK is for people who are geared from T1 raids. If you are fully T1 raid geared with Radiant Sharp Runes on Head+Leg you will get 320 focus without any trouble.

  12. #12
    Plane Walker Suga's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Southeast USA
    Posts
    449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sakkath View Post
    Radiant Sharp Rune

    HK is for people who are geared from T1 raids. If you are fully T1 raid geared with Radiant Sharp Runes on Head+Leg you will get 320 focus without any trouble.
    Ah, this is the missing piece. Do you recall where that recipe for sharp runes drops?

  13. #13
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    750

    Default

    It's sold by the runecrafting recipe vendor.

  14. #14
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,950

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suga View Post
    Not a very helpful response, but thanks. It's not like I'm looking at my weapons, rings, necklace and seeing "holy cripes that's a lot of focus!" As a community ambassador, it would be appropriate for this to also be apparent to you, Bluedot. Not an attack, just a fact. Perhaps some exposure to "normal" raiders would be enlightening. (ie, not hardcore min/max BIS'ers, but folks making normal progression through the dungeons.)

    This problem has arisen because I'm looking at the stats of my raid-won gear compared to raid-won gear of other classes. As I approach Hammerknell, and the need for 325 focus, I'm falling about 30 points short. As I began to compare my gear to the warriors who are already able to hit 325+ with fewer raid pieces than I have, the source of the discrepancy became rapidly apparent.

    I'd like to hear from a Trion employee, please.
    As a normal raider, I'm sitting at exactly 320 focus right now. Your hostilities are quite misplaced. Simply put, the gear that you got/won isn't ideal for the focus-cap that you're trying to reach. So the solution is to better pick out the pieces that you want to try to win. Not every piece that's an upgrade is truly an upgrade.

  15. #15
    Plane Walker Suga's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Southeast USA
    Posts
    449

    Default

    No hostilities, which I stated in my post.

    As it turns out, apparently I have to sacrifice intelligence runes for focus ones. It's not an ideal solution considering the "low dps" status that mages already suffer.

    Any ire that may be read between the lines stems from the fact that mages are scrambling to find viable dps specs that still are woefully less dps'y than warriors.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts