+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Are Pyros still the glass cannon all-out dps spec? (PvP)

Soulwalker

Default Are Pyros still the glass cannon all-out dps spec? (PvP)

I am brand new to Rift and I did a lot of reading over the last couple days that says that Pyros are the glass cannon spec - similar to BW's in WAR. Is this still true? This is the kind of playstyle I enjoy for PvP (yes, I'm a glutton for punishment), and I just wanted to know if Pyro is my best choice, or if there's something else I should consider (preferably without a pet).

Thanks guys

Shield of Telara

Stormcaller is what you want

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by sakkath View Post
    Stormcaller is what you want
    sarcasm/serious?

Quote Originally Posted by Drastic View Post
    sarcasm/serious?
    Serious. Lightning Burst will one shot some people. If you ever get it off, that is.
    Last edited by A Mage; 08-23-2011 at 04:45 PM.
    Xail - R41 Mage
    Guardian
    <We Are Legend>

Rift Disciple

Pyro still reigns supreme over SC.
    51 Lock is also viable.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Sinandtonic View Post
    Pyro still reigns supreme over SC.
    no. try it.

51 Lock is also viable.
    it's ok but not "all out glass cannon"

SC is squishy AoE DPS, pyro is super quishy single target DPS
    Piras@Faeblight
    Elsing@Faeblight
    <Celestial Might> [Retired: Hartzekarr and Greogard]
    My CD is now available for purchase here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/opus-1/id580677269

Soulwalker

Thx guys - is it true that DOTs generally suck in Rift? My fav thing in WAR was DOT spec BW... Am I relegated to fireball spam?

Rift Chaser

Nah, Pyromancer is just glass right now.

Stormcaller is likely what you are looking for. The 44 point skill, with about 8 seconds of setup time, will often one shot anyone, presuming they actually allow you to fire it. With that many points in it, you have no defensive cooldowns at all and will die very quickly should anyone decide that they don't want to be one shotted and kill you.

Then again, with the amount of people crying for it to be nerfed because they weren't smart enough to walk over to the stormcaller and liquify them in seconds, it will probably eat a nerf soon.
    You can't get there from here, Alice.

SC indeed is the glass cannon. However, against clever enemies (like me ) you won't really do much at all. Quite easy to negate/shut down. If, however, you can make it work you are the artillery indeed ^^

I can't really agree with what was said about Pyro, though. It's not the best option but if you have a proper spec (Opportunity is a must-have for me) it can still hurt badly. In my p8 gear it does kill stuff. You just have to know how to do that kind of magic

Nevertheless, 51WL outperforms it for me. It's a play style thing in the end.
    Last edited by Elerina; 08-23-2011 at 06:03 PM.

Pyro with Rank 8 gear murders people again... pretty hard.
    Xsorus - Rank 8 Mage/Server Seastone/Guardian/Guild - Desolate

You do realize that it's the rank 8 gear that you're murdering people with, and not the pyro soul, right?

Go ahead and try it. Just randomly apply 51 points in whatever 3 trees makes you happy, then play it. You'll just destroy people.

Even in archon you're going to 3-shot people.
    This is why we can't have nice things.

44SC 18AM 4ELE (or shift points from Archmage into Elementalist for dmg reduction+shield)

Raging storm > Ice shear > Macro[Absolute zero + Nenvin's lament] Arctic blast > Lightning burst to chain another 2000-7000(depending on crit/valor) after your previous guarenteed crit arctic blast.

Raging storm will be interupted by a non-idiot player. Result to 3 thunderbolts. If a warrior is closing the gap on you, use at least 1 thunderbolt for 1x electrified, ride the wind, ice shear and try to kite him with cloud bursts.

You'll have to kite, use knockbacks and slows to kill melee in 1v1s. The archmage talent that makes lightning burst instant cast if interupted can be deadly in combination with absolute zero cooldown + arctic blast.

Your best defence with this spec is to use 50-100% speed boosts to let you out range your opponents when things get nasty. A true glass cannon.

PS stormcaller has better PvP single target damage than pyromancer. I have extensively tested them both. If you want to go the Pyro route- go Pyro/Dom/Am and squirrel enemies to make your fireballs have a 1 second cast time for 3 shots per control effect. 3 fast fireballs, cinderburst proc, flame bolt and inferno makes for some nice burst (nearly the best in the game with split personality; + heatwave, if you don't take archmage overload), but not as good as Stormcaller in pvp.
    Valery@Zaviel - Mage | Valzz - Cleric | Soulsky - Rogue | Introvert - Warrior
    Everything you need to know for Mage: www.valvalval.net

Telaran

I'm in a similar boat, new to Rift but an ex-WAR player (I played a Word of Pain Sorc). In terms of WAR comparisons, Magi in this game are probably closer to the Magus/Engineer than the BW/Sorc. That being said, I guess Pyromancer would be closest to what you're used to.

I'm still working stuff out, but I think maybe a rotation of...
    Countdown > (instant) > (instant) > Fireball > Flame Bolt > Firestorm (1s) > Inferno
    ...should at least make someone stop and reconsider their life choices, if it doesn't kill them.
    Last edited by OniGanon; 08-23-2011 at 09:11 PM.

Telaran

Pyro still reigns supreme over SC
    Yeah, for that whole 15 seconds of your Heatwave. Outside that, SC > Pyro, and it's not even really close in a competitive setting.

There's reason you don't see any Pyros nowadays, outside fresh 50's and the "dps purists" that insist on clinging to a notion that the ideal Rift mage isn't a utility-heavy class in pvp.

Had Trion given it some adequate time to see how the Red Ball nerf played out there, instead of just hastily slapping on a barrage of nerfs with no real testing behind them (not that Trion has a dev that has spent even a day observing Rift's pvp off paper), the tree had a shot to at least stay semi-viable given some of the pvp tools in it.

Putting the gcd on Inferno really was just the finishing blow though. Without that consistent/instant burst potential behind it, the class simply gets overexposed to the flaws behind the "range damage advantage" that rarely exists in Rift's actual pvp gameplay. With constant 2 second Fireball casts and 8-freaking-seconds-till-u-see-some-damage Countdowns essentially playing out to be relative trash.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast