+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to SEE opp procs better?

Rift Disciple

Default How to SEE opp procs better?

Forgive my noobness on this one... believe it or not, I've levelled a cleric and a rogue to r4 and r6 (respectively) and never had a need like this. I've been searching the forums and either I suck at it or there aren't any threads that address it...

Running low-level necrolock and chlorolock specs at lvl ~18ish now.

I am finding that I waste a TON of Opportunity procs because I just don't see them happen. I turned on action names and even tried icons but they don't seem to help because they're cluttering up the screen (In WFs, I DoT EVERYone) with so many different things going on that I still miss seeing Opportunity.

Is there a good way that I can single out that specific spell and make the icon huge, make my pc play a sound, pop some kind of icon somewhere else on the screen? Anything would help.
    Last edited by Highstrung; 08-23-2011 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Forgive my noobness on this one... believe it or not, I've levelled a cleric and a rogue to r4 and r6 (respectively) and never had a need like this. I've been searching the forums and either I suck at it or there aren't any threads that address it...

Running low-level necrolock and chlorolock specs at lvl ~18ish now.

I am finding that I waste a TON of Opportunity procs because I just don't see them happen. I turned on action names and even tried icons but they don't seem to help because they're cluttering up the screen (In WFs, I DoT EVERYone) with so many different things going on that I still miss seeing Opportunity.

Is there a good way that I can single out that specific spell and make the icon huge, make my pc play a sound, pop some kind of icon somewhere else on the screen?
    I believe I read somewhere that ACT or one of the parsers for the game has an option to play a sound when a buff is removed. Perhaps there might be an option to play a sound when oppurtunity procs. Sorry I can't give a for sure answer but you might get some luck looking into that
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorin View Post
    Think of a 30 meter circle around all ranged dps rogues and mages. Ranged dps can stand in the back line and focus fire targets without worrying about mobility and most forms of cc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    Sounds like an excellent plan for your healers to follow as well, as they have an even longer range on their heals.

Ascendant

The more you play with your mage the easier it becomes. I can't even remember the last time I missed an opportunity proc.
    Chronicar Rank 6 mage
    <Squab Squad>

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxagallanxchi View Post
    I believe I read somewhere that ACT or one of the parsers for the game has an option to play a sound when a buff is removed. Perhaps there might be an option to play a sound when oppurtunity procs. Sorry I can't give a for sure answer but you might get some luck looking into that
    Ahh
    I've been using the RiftJunkies one. Haven't even looked in that one for a possible solution either.
    Thanks!

And thanks, too, Chronicar

RIFT Community Ambassador bluedot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Ahh
    I've been using the RiftJunkies one. Haven't even looked in that one for a possible solution either.
    Thanks!

And thanks, too, Chronicar
    I don't believe you can use the ACT Custom Triggers for Opportunity since it doesn't show up in the Combat Log. I would love to know if someone had found a way around this..

Plane Touched

I will look into the logs and see about this when i get home, I would imagine that with the addition of addons that it would be very easy to detect the buff and play a sound, but I have not looked into the API.
    Mesk
    [Lunchbox Bandits]

Rift Chaser

This isn't exactly a very technical fix but I find that changing the scale and location of your buff bar to be adequate for catching opportunities, as well the location ofnyour combat text. Truth is there are many more buff profs youll want to monitor to maximize your performance.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Bounci View Post
    This isn't exactly a very technical fix but I find that changing the scale and location of your buff bar to be adequate for catching opportunities, as well the location ofnyour combat text. Truth is there are many more buff profs youll want to monitor to maximize your performance.
    While this is true, thus far I've found that there are more things that I actually don't need to monitor than there are buffs / debuffs that I do. I really don't want to jack the size of all my buffs & clutter my screen with all this other stuff just to try and see one particular proc.

Maybe I'm not high enough level yet, but being an experienced cleric and rogue, I'm pretty good at handling buffs, buff shears (incoming), situational attacks (a la rogue), etc. Those came with practice and are easily prepared by: 1 - just by knowing what class(es) you're fighting, it's pretty easy to form habits of rebuffing and 2 - rogues have it easy... most of their situationals can be macroed and, if you choose not to, the buttons are huge and pop up right in your face.

What I was hoping for is something more like the rogue's abilities that can pop up right in your face as a solo icon. Or maybe that's changed, too? It's been months since I played my rogue, tbh.

RIFT Community Ambassador bluedot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mesk View Post
    I will look into the logs and see about this when i get home, I would imagine that with the addition of addons that it would be very easy to detect the buff and play a sound, but I have not looked into the API.
    Apparently Rogues also have a proc called Opportunity, and somewhere a long the way they found out they couldn't have both in the log.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by bluedot View Post
    Apparently Rogues also have a proc called Opportunity, and somewhere a long the way they found out they couldn't have both in the log.
    Bah! A crap excuse for poor inter-operational communication and project management.

Let rogues suffer, I say!

Champion

I don't even bother with looking at the opp. proc, I just continue on my rotation and love to see instant cast-cast length spells. :P

+ Reply to Thread