+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leveling A Mage Possible This Way?

Default Leveling A Mage Possible This Way?

is it possible to lvl a mage as Elem/Chlor/Dom?
    im going to be creating a mage soon and am thinking of going mostly elem for tank pet and chlor to heal that pet and myself, but putting 0dom with it for CC needs.
    is this an ok thing to do or are there more efficient ways to lvl a mage?
    Last edited by TJ74; 08-23-2011 at 06:04 AM.
    WFH & BYOB - www.kingtj.net

Telaran

The necrolock setup has abilities that let you heal your pet. But yea, I guess if you start off with a few points in chloro to get the instants it wouldn't be a terrible idea. Honestly though necrolock with a 0 dom is the best way to level up.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ74 View Post
    is it possible to lvl a mage as Elem/Chlor/Dom?
    im going to be creating a mage soon and am thinking of going mostly elem for tank pet and chlor to heal that pet and myself, but putting 0dom with it for CC needs.
    is this an ok thing to do or are there more efficient ways to lvl a mage?
    It's POSSIBLE to level as a dom/chloro/archmage, although I wouldn't recommend it. Ele/chloro is great for soloing elites, but kinda uncalled for and slow for normal leveling.

Between Sac:Life -> mana and Soul Purge, Necro/lock is a one man, perpetual motion, wrecking crew for PvE.

can u post the better necro/lock spec please?
    im guessing a 3X necro / 3X loc / 0 dom spec?

Telaran

Yea, thats about right when you get to 50.

But when you are leveling you want to spec into Necro up to life purge for the damage and healing. Just put something like 5 pts in warlock for void bolt for the damage early on. But really just spec into necro for your pet and continuous grinding.

Ascendant

Other posters have it right. Both specs are viable though. You can expirement, but keep in mind it costs $ to train and you need a lot of it now at 50.. recommend you quest your way to 50 only as necro/lock/chloro. With 3 souls you should have lots of $.

On the other hand, this is a game and you should do what you think is fun.

It may seem counter-intuitive but the fastest leveling spec is necro/lock with the ROGUE pet -- not tank. The rogue pet holds aggro badly. E.g. you will be tanking. This is not good for heroics but due to soul purge (GET ASAP) you will be able to pull fast, zero downtime. Also get feign death immediately after getting the rogue pet. Great "oh noooo!" button. Bonus FD you train through annoying mobs to get to quest areas / foraging/mining faster.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by ururu View Post
    Other posters have it right. Both specs are viable though. You can expirement, but keep in mind it costs $ to train and you need a lot of it now at 50.. recommend you quest your way to 50 only as necro/lock/chloro. With 3 souls you should have lots of $.

On the other hand, this is a game and you should do what you think is fun.

It may seem counter-intuitive but the fastest leveling spec is necro/lock with the ROGUE pet -- not tank. The rogue pet holds aggro badly. E.g. you will be tanking. This is not good for heroics but due to soul purge (GET ASAP) you will be able to pull fast, zero downtime. Also get feign death immediately after getting the rogue pet. Great "oh noooo!" button. Bonus FD you train through annoying mobs to get to quest areas / foraging/mining faster.
    What he said, if the tank pet could oh, idk pull agro on more than one mob it'd be worth using but since it can't and you end up agroing anyways, might as well use the rogue.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by ZykeZero View Post
    What he said, if the tank pet could oh, idk pull agro on more than one mob it'd be worth using but since it can't and you end up agroing anyways, might as well use the rogue.
    Yeah, necro tank pet is junk. It's stupid how much better the elementalist tank pet holds aggro. I mean that thing pulls aggro over even well geared warriors. (Rock pet has better taunts than warriors = lol).

<< Edit : it's too bad none of the tank pets have spotters orders though, heh.>>
    Last edited by ururu; 08-23-2011 at 07:54 AM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ZykeZero View Post
    Yea, thats about right when you get to 50.

But when you are leveling you want to spec into Necro up to life purge for the damage and healing. Just put something like 5 pts in warlock for void bolt for the damage early on. But really just spec into necro for your pet and continuous grinding.
    This.

I specced Necro straight up to 16 for Soul Purge with extras going into Warlock. Now that my mage is 17+ all the points go into Warlock. I also have two other specs (benefits of having some wealthier characters)...
    I believe THIS is my current spec at 18(?) for the necrolock
    Something else that I see very few people mention - Keep Exhume near your pet summon spell. If you're doing things right, it will ALWAYS be available by the time your pet dies, but it is absolutely invaluable when you over-pull.

The Ele / Chloro is insanely strong in that it can survive pretty much anything. Problems are: weak in the AoE department and kills are excruciatingly slow. Save this spec for soloing rifts & elite mobs.

If you like to PvP or dungeon at all, I highly recommend picking up a Chlorolock spec like the ones in other threads. This is my third spec and the utility of it is an absolute blast. Only reason I don't use it for PvP is the Necrolock is faster kills = faster quest DONE = faster xp = "Did I really level out of this zone already?!?"

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    This.

I specced Necro straight up to 16 for Soul Purge with extras going into Warlock. Now that my mage is 17+ all the points go into Warlock. I also have two other specs (benefits of having some wealthier characters)...
    I believe THIS is my current spec at 18(?) for the necrolock
    Something else that I see very few people mention - Keep Exhume near your pet summon spell. If you're doing things right, it will ALWAYS be available by the time your pet dies, but it is absolutely invaluable when you over-pull.

The Ele / Chloro is insanely strong in that it can survive pretty much anything. Problems are: weak in the AoE department and kills are excruciatingly slow. Save this spec for soloing rifts & elite mobs.

If you like to PvP or dungeon at all, I highly recommend picking up a Chlorolock spec like the ones in other threads. This is my third spec and the utility of it is an absolute blast. Only reason I don't use it for PvP is the Necrolock is faster kills = faster quest DONE = faster xp = "Did I really level out of this zone already?!?"
    That's fine but do consider the rogue pet at 20 (or maybe 21?). It is very good especially with crappy gear like when you are leveling.
    Last edited by ururu; 08-23-2011 at 10:46 AM.

thanks for the replies
    ok so how would maining elem with rock tank till 22 with extra points into chlor for heals, then at 22 when i would have the power to out argo my rock respec to necro/lock with rogue pet and then pull up to 3 things, the feint death and let pet get argo then pop up and heal pet and dps to kill work out?
    or did i just totally misunderstand everyones ideas? @_@

Rift Disciple

I'd like to chime in regarding your elemental/chloro idea. You don't really need the chloro healing for your rock if you get improved quicken elements. It will heal your pet for 25% of its life every second you channel it. Of course Chloro will allow you to DPS and heal together, but you already have an excelent heal for your pet.

Soulwalker

I speced necrolock early on and have been using it ever since. I have a lot of points in necro, (30ish) and being 37 now I can solo up to 4 mobs at once and elite mobs with no problem. If I pull to many I pop Empty Graves/Lich Form and tear everything up in my path. It's pretty fun on a side note as well.

+ Reply to Thread