+ Reply to Thread

Thread: how is lightning burst overpowered at all!?

Rift Disciple

Default how is lightning burst overpowered at all!?

so, i hear this alot, and im conffused.

if i told you, hay this melee class he does his full rotation taking about 8.6 sec, each hit building upto the final blow does fluff damage but the last hit can some times crit for over 4k!

you'd think eeeew yuck get away from me gimp.

but that is what a storm caller is, you charge them up with 3 bolts. 1.5 sec per, hit them with ice shard then use your damage booster "charge is needed" then cast a 2 sec lightning burst. If it doesnt get disspeled, and IF they dont see you you may crit for over 4k.

I ASK you, if you gave any melee 6.5 to 8.6 sec of free casting melee time, how much damage would they do, i'm pretty damn sure it would be more then 4k+ and you can't dispel melee either :P

all storm caller is, is a burst class for sniping, a glass cannot to be used to kill a target low on health before they are healed. A SNIPER SPEC.
    i7 2600k @5.6 1.45v load line extreme
    p8pdelux phase exetreme
    crucial SSD 355 mbs read 70/write
    samsung 2tb hdd
    2x Hd5970 toxic 1000/1200 (only 2 gpu in use for rift)
    8gb ddr3 corsair vengance
    win7 64bit

It's not, but warriors need something else to complain about besides themselves.
    T H E C H R O N I C L E S O F D W I N D A R F

Quote Originally Posted by Dwindarf View Post
    It's not.
    ^ this

LB is fun but is far to impractical to be overpowered.
    Last edited by Ozamet; 08-22-2011 at 05:50 PM.

lgw

And it's far from the best reliable, highly recurring bursts we can set-up. (And I'm not talking about 51 WL - besides the good burst being on 30s CD, there are a bunch of burstier combos. Not that 51 WL is bad.)
    But on top of that... it requires you to play a squishy, low utility spec that gets rolled when engaged in any serious fight.
    ... aka schoklat. PVP nerd - gaming vet.
    First of slackers, herder of trolls.
    Wildstar PVP inc

1.0 sabo

10char

(Gear)

Plane Touched

Its not overpowered, you are basically relying on Critical hit, which most of the time doesn't happens.
    I am no longer using this spec, because its not reliable and also very low livability.

I hit a 7290 on a fresh 50 with it earlier. And I didn't even have trinket buff. Also don't have my r7 crystal yet for another 200 sp. I'm going to guess I can max 8k with it lol. I also use the archmage soul, so if it gets interupted or feared, it becomes instant cast.

On another note: I usually can't get 3 electrified stacks up against a warrior who stuns me during raging storm and then fears/interupts during thunderbolt casts. I'm forced to use Ride the wind to kite him and use ice shear and cloud bursts, flash freeze and the wind knockback/slow.

Don't hit me and I kill you. Cleanse or focus me and it's fine. I have no heals, and my best defence is running away with speed buffs. Riftblade(in every warrior spec) beats stormcaller at range when the storm caller is forced to fight without electrified. 1-2 electrified stacks and cloudburst starts to become a beast however. 3 electrified stacks and you'd better have that AoE fear and riftblade silences/interupts or whatever warriors have. Clerics are most likely able to cleanse themselfs and use silences; Rogues have no problems with silence/interupting or using their ever so common immunities (more than enough time to drop a SC or retreat into the back lines).

Complaints of it being OP are as legitimate as saying that letting a warrior wail on you for 6-7 seconds untouched then dying makes the warrior overpowered. You can kite/CC the warrior (or at least try to).

People will argue that it's hard to tell when a mage is setting up on you in a group of 10 players, but if they don't notice the huge flashy thunderbolt or raging storm animations on them, or the debuffs, chances are they are bad and will die to any skilled player.

Considering that Trion released this skill with full awareness of what they programmed its damage to be capable of (trust me, they don't just plug in random numbers and release it), as well as their previous nerfs of pyromancer which hit equally hard but too easy to set up, I really doubt they will nerf this. I'm very sure that they see the drawbacks sufficient enough to balance this glass cannon 1-shot-or-die build.
    Valery@Zaviel - Mage | Valzz - Cleric | Soulsky - Rogue | Introvert - Warrior
    Everything you need to know for Mage: www.valvalval.net

People don't like seeing really big numbers.

If you're looking at it objectively, Lightning Burst is impractical.

But balance is subjective. It could have a 5 minute cast time, that one AFK guy you manage to hit with it per year is going to cry about it until it gets nerfed.
    This is why we can't have nice things.

aux

I LB'd someone for 274 yesterday ;(
    I'm so BORED

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by killthedesires View Post
    Its not overpowered, you are basically relying on Critical hit, which most of the time doesn't happens.
    Nope.

cast lolcrit
    cast BS
    cast arcticblast
    cast lightning burst

laugh your *** off at warriors thinking they're god

Quote Originally Posted by Emprahh View Post
    Nope.

cast lolcrit
    cast BS
    cast arcticblast
    cast lightning burst

laugh your *** off at warriors thinking they're god
    It's ok because they'll be laughing their ***** off during the 3 minutes your Nenvin's is down.

+ Reply to Thread