+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Speed of Play

Default Speed of Play

So I had not played my Mage in around a month...

I finished leveling the Warrior to 50, I leveled a Cleric to 50, and I finished leveling the Rogue to 50. Note, that I played Shaman hybrids mainly with the Cleric.

...when I decided to play him this evening.

The speed of play with the Mage compared to the other three toons is, well, atrocious. I found it to be painfully slow - painfully, painfully, oh dear God painfully slow.

Compared to the instant attacks (meaning the ability to move and attack) from the Warrior, Cleric, and Rogue - the need to stand still to cast even a 1.5s cast time spell stands out like a sore thumb.

I'm surprised that Trion has not looked at something as simple as making the majority of attacks instant - working with more CDs where needed and reducing the damage of attacks that used to have a cast time that are now instant.

There is little doubt, some of it comes from being woefully outgeared on him at this point - but the other three guys are far more woefully outgeared than he is, and they are easier to play...

...because of their speed of play - not having to stand still (equivalent to bending over and grabbing ankles).
    Kincayd (1)* - Omeki (1) - Comma (2) - Bugeisha (2) - Malphesiel (3)
    (1) Carrion -> (2) Threesprings -> (3) Deepwood
    *formerly Plague@Carrion
    DEFIANT

Shield of Telara

Mage is the only class I haven't played, but I can think of a few reasons why they may be left as-is.

Some players may like that play style. I know in other mmo's having to time casts and instant CD's just right to hit max dps was fun. It also caters to the people who just want to stand in the back and hit a button every couple seconds instead of furiously mashing constantly.

In pvp I see your point but changing the spells to instant would ruin it in pve for those who want cast times to remain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet View Post
    We’re generally happy with the current state of Warriors and are continuing to monitor a number of smaller issues involving them.
    R8 Rogue
    R8 Warrior

I've played more than a few MMOs since I started UO back in '97, and I've never noticed something like this. I generally always play at least two toons - ranged caster and preferably a 2H melee (sniping and smashing face). I do not remember it being like this at all prior to 1.4...

It is as if the game is more of a FPS now since 1.4 went live. Folks are dropping dead like flies. It is kind of funny, figured I would Bard up as the Rogue Ranked up. Used to top heals or be in the top three in the 40-49 bracket. Usually at the bottom now... not only because of the gear/valor, etc. Most targets are dead before I get the chance to do a Coda of Resto...meh.

I suppose that is where I noticed the speed of play of casters to this extent. No doubt it has generally always been slower in most games, but the overall pace of combat has been slower as well - so it did not stand out like it does for me now.
    *formerly Plague@Carrion
    DEFIANT

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by VirusDancer View Post
    So I had not played my Mage in around a month...

I finished leveling the Warrior to 50, I leveled a Cleric to 50, and I finished leveling the Rogue to 50. Note, that I played Shaman hybrids mainly with the Cleric.

...when I decided to play him this evening.

The speed of play with the Mage compared to the other three toons is, well, atrocious. I found it to be painfully slow - painfully, painfully, oh dear God painfully slow.

Compared to the instant attacks (meaning the ability to move and attack) from the Warrior, Cleric, and Rogue - the need to stand still to cast even a 1.5s cast time spell stands out like a sore thumb.

I'm surprised that Trion has not looked at something as simple as making the majority of attacks instant - working with more CDs where needed and reducing the damage of attacks that used to have a cast time that are now instant.

There is little doubt, some of it comes from being woefully outgeared on him at this point - but the other three guys are far more woefully outgeared than he is, and they are easier to play...

...because of their speed of play - not having to stand still (equivalent to bending over and grabbing ankles).
    Mages definately have more cast times than other callings. In a vacuum this isn't a problem. Are you commenting that things are dying so fast that cast times automatically feel limiting?

It feels slower, but imo it's much more strategic. I didn't like the war follow target and smash his face. I, however, love the mage cause I play a dom/SC. In between GCDs I have to decide what debuffs my target has and which to apply (very difficult cause I have 3 debuffs I always like to have on my enemy), how my team is doing, what powerful abilities came off CD, is anyone on me, how am I doing on mana, where is my target, is he near people to launch my AoE nuke, stuff like that.

I find it much more challenging then having my 6 ability rotation and running around like an angry chicken. If I throw the wrong spell (specially when someone is on me) my GCD is gonna make me pay. It's really fun imo.
    Last edited by Hartzekar; 08-22-2011 at 05:32 PM.
    Piras@Faeblight
    Elsing@Faeblight
    <Celestial Might> [Retired: Hartzekarr and Greogard]
    My CD is now available for purchase here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/opus-1/id580677269

...Warrior was the most painful Class I've ever leveled...

Warrior > rogue > mage > cleric

In difficulty that is. Cause warriors pet tanking is completely trash.

Rogues are just...well, they weren't that bad. I like the boar pet and I leveled as ranger/bard/mm

Mages..Completely easy. lmao I think I died like...4 times while leveling to 50?

Cleric..omg, pull 12+ same level mobs come out at full health. easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizaz View Post
    Your opinion is wrong and you should feel bad for sharing it with the world.
    11/11 HK(World top 10), 4/4 ROTP, Greenscale/RoS Current-Content Conqueror, GP Cleared, TDH Cleared.

Prestige Rank 8 in a weekend baby.

Quote Originally Posted by penumbralcat View Post
    Mages definately have more cast times than other callings. In a vacuum this isn't a problem. Are you commenting that things are dying so fast that cast times automatically feel limiting?
    With the amount of damage that is being done now and lacking the ability to avoid some of that damage with movement, it just feels like a completely different game than it did before they added R7-8.

I suppose I lost touch with the speed of play with a Mage while playing the others - though, I had played them at the same time as the Mage as well (heck, I have handfuls of alts).

I've gone through and changed three of my roles for the different pace... so far, it's been a mixed bag.
    *formerly Plague@Carrion
    DEFIANT

Plane Touched

There are plenty of non-instant casts in Cleric as well.

There are plenty of instant casts in Mage as well.

Learn to use them if you feel you're too slow.

Telaran

Cast times are painful, but they also have their uses. They can be used pre-emptively, and they can be used together with instant and channel spells for burst damage that wouldn't be possible (due to GCD) if every spell was instant.

Now, if pushback wasn't so godawful in this game that casting anything but instant spells in melee is practically impossible, spell cast times and lower mobility would be so much easier to live with. Actually, why the hell do we need pushback at all? Isn't the immobility enough of a disadvantage?

Would probably also help if the cast bar wasn't such a lying liar, making casts seem to take 20% longer than they actually do if you don't queue the spells.

You want dynamic mage gameplay? Not being inferior to every other class? Tired of being nerf batted all over your specs? Well, youtube some gamescon'11 elementalist pvp vids and you know what to do.
    Last edited by Halman; 08-23-2011 at 04:48 AM.

Odd that this got moved to Mage Discussion when it was about the speed of play in PvP and the comparison of where Mages stand (no pun intended) compared to the other Callings.

It was not really about the desire to speed Mages up - after all, it was fine before R7-8 (it has been fine in other games - "Mage" is the main type of character that I have played for the past 13-14 years).

But whatever, moving this thread here makes as much sense as many of the things Trion has done since the headstart...

...I miss the betas.
    *formerly Plague@Carrion
    DEFIANT

+ Reply to Thread