+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: A list of mage adjustments that would really help with our PVP toolbox.

Default A list of mage adjustments that would really help with our PVP toolbox.

I don't like screaming for other classes to get straight damage or ability nerfs unless it's a last resort. Instead I'd rather see tools that allow us to do our job. Right now mages have problem gaining distance from our enemies in pvp and I have some tweaks that I think would help. But for these tweaks to work, Trion also needs to fix the issues with diminishing returns which frequently prevent us from gaining distance from melee.

If you like some of what you see or have your own ideas, please send Trion some feedback and tell them what you think so we can improve the class we love

Archmage

* Rune Shield duration increased to 45 secs up from 30 secs.
    * Break Free replaced with "Teleport". Removes all control and movement impairing effects and teleports the caster 20 yards forward and increases movement speed by 30% for 6 secs. Does not trigger a global cooldown. Cooldown 30 seconds.
    * Improved Break Free replaced with "Improved Teleport" with 3 points, each point reduces the cooldown on Teleport by 3 seconds. Fully talented Teleport will have a cooldown of 21 seconds.
    * Degeneration changed to instant cast.

Elemental

* Ice Shield - After the shield has absorbed its maximum damage, it shatters and freezes all enemies within 6 meters in place for up to 3 seconds.
    * Icy Carapace - In addition, when dealt earth damage Icy Carapace explodes and stuns the enemy for 2 seconds.
    * Synergize also transfers 20% of the damage the mage receives to the pet.
    * Sacrifice heals the caster for 33% of their health up from 25%.
    * Fiery Assault also stuns all enemies in the frontal cone for 2 seconds.
    * Earthquake - Greater Earth Elemental Earthquake ability now also stuns up to 4 enemies for 2 seconds.
    * Encase having a talent to make it an instant cast.

Chloromancer

* Withering Vine also snares the enemy reducing movement speed y 30% for up to 6 secs (can only affect 1 enemy at a time).

Dominator

* Death's Edict cooldown reduced to 15 secs from 30 secs .
    * Disorient cooldown reduced to 20 secs from 25 secs.
    * Improved Mana Wrench adds a snare effect to the enemy slowing movement speed by 10% for each point of Improved Mana Wrench for a total of 30% movement speed snare for up to 6 secs.

Necromancer

* Grave Rot snares all enemies entering the area reducing movement speed by 50% while in the area.
    * Symbiote also transfers 4% of the damage the mage receives to the pet for each point of talent for a maximum of 20% of damage transferred to the pet.
    * Enemies can no longer be immune to soul purge.

Archon

* Consuming Flames will fan out after it has absorbed its maximum damage, knocking back all enemies within 3 yards.

Warlock

* Choke cooldown reduced to 30 secs down from 40 secs.
    * Mass Fear range increased by 2 meter radius.

Stormcaller

* Icicle and Arctic Blast cast time reduced to 2 secs down from 2.5 secs.
    * Ice Shear also causes Hypothermia.
    * Electrocute range changed from melee to 3 meters.
    * Wind Chill cooldown reduced to 30 secs from 1 minute and affects all enemies in a frontal cone.
    * Stormguard and Icy Vortex rolled into 1 ability that reduces all incoming damage by 50% for 12 secs on a 2 minute cooldown.
    * Static Flux changed to a 2 minute cooldown ability that increases the mage's air and water spell damage by 20% for 15 seconds.

Pyromancer

* Ignition: Fireball cast time when fully talented is reduced from 2 secs to 1.5 secs (in line with void bolt).
    * Improved Fireball - When your fireball crits, it also stuns the enemy for 2 secs.
    * Burn cooldown reduced to 30 secs from 50 secs .
    * Flashfire cooldown reduced to 30 secs from 45 secs.
    * Countdown also knocks the enemy back 3 meters.
    * Fulminate consumes 50 charge down from 100 charge and its cooldown reduced to 30 secs down from 45 secs.

Though all mage buffs are appreciated, don't overdue things - it'll do no good.

Don't hold your breath.
    T H E C H R O N I C L E S O F D W I N D A R F

* Degeneration changed to instant cast.
    this would be too powerful imo, although it does need a change... atm it will get interrupted, and if not, it just takes too long

Elemental
    I think your changes here are quite allright

Chloromancer
    * Withering Vine also snares the enemy reducing movement speed y 30% for up to 6 secs (can only affect 1 enemy at a time).
    I don't see why, withering vines is ok as it is (not every skill has to be a great PvP skill)

Necromancer
    * Enemies can no longer be immune to soul purge.
    wtb this!

Archon
    * Consuming Flames will fan out after it has absorbed its maximum damage, knocking back all enemies within 3 yards.
    powerful, but considering the immunity / DR, and that you have to be archon, I think it would be a nice change

Warlock
    * Choke cooldown reduced to 30 secs down from 40 secs.
    * Mass Fear range increased by 2 meter radius.
    not needed

Stormcaller
    Too powerful. The only problem Stormcaller has , is the immunities in PvP. If anything needs to be changed, it's that immunity system. (for example give hypothermia slows a different system, than just throwing them on the big pile of slows so 90% of the time it doesn't do a thing)

Pyromancer

The same problem. Your changes would make it way too powerful. Pyromancer was fine back when Burning Bonds, Flashfire, Burn etc would always work, instead of getting resisted 90% of the time. Abilities being useless because of DR/immunities is a general problem, but these mage souls got hit harder by it than most other souls.

edit: sry for all the white, but I can't make the quote bubbles any shorter :/
    Last edited by Veldan; 08-22-2011 at 08:11 AM.

Telaran

I'd punt a baby for half of those changes :<

And Veldan does make very strong points counter to OP. Siiiigh, I dream of a day where Mages are more competative.

Some of these are good changes, others are a bit much, but for the most part I agree that mage could use some tweaking. The only problem with the changes you posted is that it would make mage derp proof, like the rest of the classes. IMO if you derp proof the mage calling, then the really great mages just go out and slaughter raids of kids and seem "OP".

Plane Walker

* Ice Shield - After the shield has absorbed its maximum damage, it shatters and freezes all enemies within 6 meters in place for up to 3 seconds.
    Stopped reading.

If I wanted to play WoW, I would.

Too many things on that list are too strong.

And passive stuns are part of what got pyromancer nerfed into the ground to begin with.

The mage calling is actually in a good spot in PvP right now, with a wide array of useful builds across nearly all of our souls. The problem spots I'd look at are as follows:

Pyromancer

First, the artificial 5 second cooldown between fulminate and cinder burst needs to be removed. Also, the damage penalty on fulminate needs to be removed. For 51 points invested, it damn well better hit hard. I suggested a damage cap on high damage skills, but if this isn't feasible convert half of fulminate's damage to a huge DOT. Leave current penalties in place on inferno and cinder burst.

Then remove the damage penalty on ground of strength. The metagame has caught up with GoS, people tend to use purges and knockbacks far more efficiently than they ever used to. Removing the damage penalty makes it more viable.

Elementalist

For the billionth time, remove the cooldown on fiery assault! RAAAEEEG! The upper end of the elementalist root is very good, but the middle tiers (3-5) of the elementalist tree might need to be looked at to make them more appealing. Even getting to Tempest feels like wasting points, much less diving into 51.

Also make encase instant cast. It breaks on damage anyway, having it instant cast gives it at least some small measure of utility.

Necromancer

Necro sucks without warlock points. Charge generation is bad, damage is low, control is nonexistent. The limited utility necro brings to the table is a great complement to warlock, but again just doesn't stand on its own. Complete overhaul and/or across-the-board buffs are necessary, and soul purge needs to be moved to 38 point root in order to ensure that warlock/necro combinations aren't made too strong by a stronger necromancer soul.

Archon

You know how Trion is nerfing skills for PvP only? Why not buff skills for PvP only, starting with archon debuffs? Leading into and shortly after release, archon debuffs were made weaker and weaker in order to preserve PvE encounter difficulty, and that's fair, but they're weak to the point of being trivial against things that aren't 20 man raid bosses. Archon debuffs need to be made significantly stronger for PvP only, making the archon a real threat. Would start by doubling the debuff effects of ashen defense and crumbling resistance, to see if archon usage goes up at all.

Also, lava field needs its cooldown reduced from 90 seconds to 10 seconds, bringing it in line with the other mage GTAEs. I'm sorry, the silly 1% healing whatever does not justify such a huge cooldown. If you feel it's necessary, tie the cooldown in with the Healing Flames talent.
    This is why we can't have nice things.

Rift Chaser

I play both a cleric and a mage in PvP, the single biggest difference/advantage that my cleric has, is that I can do everything on the move and still be effective.

The biggest single problem with Chloro for example, is that most skills have either a cast time or a channel. If all those Chloro skills were insta casts with cooldowns, instead of channels and cast times, the class would be on somewhat of a par with my cleric.

My cleric can move with the flow of battle and still be effective, my mage is standing there casting a 2 second spell, at which point the entire enemy team is on you.

Just that change to Chloro, would do wonders.

Rift Disciple

hypothermia on ice shear... OP and spammable... I like it. It wouldn't happen though.

Shadowlander

All they need to do is fix DR/CC. If they did that, mages would actually need to be nerfed.

How to fix mage class 101:

- Crowd control effects no longer apply cc immunity
    - Removed 99% of useless abilities from every mage soul
    - All spells can now be cast while moving
    - Reduced damage of spells against players to compensate for the above, no change for pve damage

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Azguard View Post
    Archmage

* Rune Shield duration increased to 45 secs up from 30 secs.
    * Break Free replaced with "Teleport". Removes all control and movement impairing effects and teleports the caster 20 yards forward and increases movement speed by 30% for 6 secs. Does not trigger a global cooldown. Cooldown 30 seconds.
    * Improved Break Free replaced with "Improved Teleport" with 3 points, each point reduces the cooldown on Teleport by 3 seconds. Fully talented Teleport will have a cooldown of 21 seconds.
    I think your other ideas are mostly OP, but I totally agree with the Archmage tree, it really should have a version of Blink/Flicker.

Runeshield should count down in stacks, rather than losing all stacks after 30secs.

Quote Originally Posted by Halman View Post
    How to fix mage class 101:

- Crowd control effects no longer apply cc immunity
    - Removed 99% of useless abilities from every mage soul
    - All spells can now be cast while moving
    - Reduced damage of spells against players to compensate for the above, no change for pve damage
    bad .
    This is why we can't have nice things.

Shield of Telara

You just nerfed the **** out of stormcaller, except for that ridiculous ice shear part.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast