+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ozamet

Thread: Sound advice please(flamers, trolls just bypass)

Default Sound advice please(flamers, trolls just bypass)

So I started playing a few weeks ago or so and Iam almost 49. I enjoy the pvp alot, but.. I get rolled like there isnt any tomorrow. I run the chrolock build and have tried a few others but like to be able to heal in a pinch to survive.

Pretty much how they go is.. Get stunned, break free, get stunned again(cooldown so no break free)get swarmed, dead. In any order or otherwise.

So, question is. When you drudge through the P ranks and get endgame are mages any good at that point? I understand there will be instances where you run into someone better, but as a whole can you hold your own at the end?

You have to keep in mind that regardless of how good your spec is you still have to rely on your team for coordination and/or being able to hide in the masses.

A 2.8k Bloom isn't going to save your life very often, imo.

Right now the glaring issues with Mage PvP are extremely frustrating and make things much more dufficult for us than they really should be. In my experience playing as a Rank 6 Mage and against Mages as a Rank 6 Rogue; I can say with confidence that a good Mage is never to be underestimated and certain Mage specs that often pound players from within the mass chaos better be targeted and taken out quickly.

There is a lot to be desired for a PvP mage right now but the difference between a smart experiemced mage and an inexperienced one playing a forum spec is night and day. If you enjoy the playstyle than find a spec that works for you and practice whilst trying not to gwt discouraged or tofruatrated by some of the more obvious handicaps we have to overcome.

Rift Disciple

i play a mage at your level, i too get rolled, but only when i lose gaming focus

as a mage you cannot blink, you must see how a fight is going where it will move too and how you can adapt.

chloro/warlock is awesome spec, but to take full advantage you need macros, you need to know when yo cast and when to be mobile. the macro will sustain your dps while on the move taking advantage of warlock opertunity, also its good to macro all heals into one and have them castself.

i do like warlock/necro, it has the ability to take on anyone 1 on 1 even 2 on 1 and win, the trick again is to dot them and keep dotting them and only cast a voidbolt when you get an opertuniny, then stun and soul purge, you will normly kill people within 4 sec, dont forget to use fear and snare with opertunity it can mean death or a victory dance, never waste the stun tho as its the main counter to a warrior charge imho it really messes thier macros up to be stuned while charging and to be 30m away from the target.
    i7 2600k @5.6 1.45v load line extreme
    p8pdelux phase exetreme
    crucial SSD 355 mbs read 70/write
    samsung 2tb hdd
    2x Hd5970 toxic 1000/1200 (only 2 gpu in use for rift)
    8gb ddr3 corsair vengance
    win7 64bit

Telaran

Default 50 is worse

If you are 49, then prepare for it to be worse at 50 for the early stages.

Low PR mages get destroyed in a hurry.

Once you are pr4, and have all the pr3/4 gear, the good sigil, a +50 valor chest rune, and that stuff - you can be around 800 valor and things change. You can live long enough to play your build and kill people.

Its not total doom and gloom as a mage, but those first few ranks are rough. Spec something where you are contributing to your team, and realize some days you will be earning prestige one loss at a time.

Eventually you will get to pr4+, have some gear, and you can start to enjoy things.

Rift Chaser

I run around with PvE gear on in PvP all the time just because I am lazy. PvP is 70% dependent on SPEC, 20% on gear and 10% on learning 2 play.

I STILL WIN IN PVE GEAR

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by NerfMePlease View Post
    I run around with PvE gear on in PvP all the time just because I am lazy. PvP is 70% dependent on SPEC, 20% on gear and 10% on learning 2 play.

I STILL WIN IN PVE GEAR
    i will correct-> 25%spec 5% learning and 70% gear
    p8pdelux phase exetreme
    samsung 2tb hdd
    win7 64bit

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Malg View Post
    If you are 49, then prepare for it to be worse at 50 for the early stages.

Low PR mages get destroyed in a hurry.

Once you are pr4, and have all the pr3/4 gear, the good sigil, a +50 valor chest rune, and that stuff - you can be around 800 valor and things change. You can live long enough to play your build and kill people.

Its not total doom and gloom as a mage, but those first few ranks are rough. Spec something where you are contributing to your team, and realize some days you will be earning prestige one loss at a time.

Eventually you will get to pr4+, have some gear, and you can start to enjoy things.

that rings true for all classs, even, dare i say it. a warrior! in fact i would say its worse for them, since most thier builds req you to melee, meaing getting in close and dying instantly, so warriors go spec warlock and buff ya group
    p8pdelux phase exetreme
    samsung 2tb hdd
    win7 64bit

+ Reply to Thread