+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: The go-to "I need a Mage PVE spec" Thread

Default The go-to "I need a Mage PVE spec" Thread

I can't find anything here for almost anything. I mean, most of this stuff is self explanatory(archon 51 point duh, chloro raid heals 36chloro/30lock) but some people may not know that. I lurk these forums a lot and play a mage as my main, so I think I'm pretty knowledgeable.

-DPS Specs-
    Warlock / Necromancer / Archon builds - There are several good Necrolock builds.
    35/31 <- Recommended 38/28
    Which one is best, really depends on the person. I personally use, and recommend, 35/31. Why? Big dot/soul purge damage and several damage cooldowns. I used the 38/28 one for awhile, but overall, I have more fun with 35/31.
    For the specs without Defile, just keep Life Leech -> Necrosis -> Dark Touch and Soul Purge whenever you can.

For the defile/soul purge spec keep dots up and when you have full charge, defile -> soul purge 'till you're low and keep defile up while keeping all your dots up and soul purge when your charge gets high.

Pyromancer / Elementalist / Archon builds - The one and only... Great spec for burst damage and AoE.
    34/32
    Just spam a macro I'll throw in down below and pop Intensify Elements -> Heat Wave because Heat wave resets the cooldown on IE for no reason.

#show Fireball
    cast Inferno
    cast Flame Bolt
    cast Fireball

Unfortunately, there are no builds that don't have pets that are good. Pyro and warlock are close, but they don't come close to builds with pets. 51 Necromancer is pretty good, but it's a little low compared to a necrolock hybrid. 51 ele is also alright, but nowhere near as good as having points in pyro.

someone post some stormcaller builds, if they're still viable for single target. I never played one, so I don't really look up latest builds for them.

-Support Specs-
    x / Archon / x Builds - It doesn't matter what your two other souls are. I recommend Pyro and Dom, but warlock, necro, chloro and elementalist are also good choices. Pyro gives you extra fire damage and faster cast times on your fire spells, dom gives you buffs control and all that jazz, warlock gives you faster charge build up and instant cast spells, necro gives you an offensive cleanse, chloro gives you a few heal spells and ele gives you extra critz and some damage reduction. Choose whichever is useful to you and your group.
    5/51/10 <-Recommended
    Basically, use the macro I'll link below to gain charge and buff yo' peeps. Keep your 5 Buff Auras up and debuff.

#show Pillaging Stone
    cast Volcanic Bomb
    cast Surging Flare
    cast Earthen Barrage
    cast Pillaging Stone

Archon / Chloro / x Builds - These are mainly for dungeon supporting. Buffs + some heals if the healer needs help.
    39/27
    Don't worry about the combat buffs so much. Just use chloromancer spells, while keeping archon auras up. Easy mode support and decent damage.

-Healing Builds-
    Chloro / Warlock are the BEST ways to go to heal. 51 chloro for solo healing T2s and 36 chloro for raid heals.
    51/15/0 <- T2 dungeon solo healing easy mode. Raid heals -> 36/30 A note on the 15 lock in the dungeon healing spec... I like having extra health. If you feel the 5% crit from elementalist would be better for you, go ahead. It's just my preference.

For solo healing dungeons, spam void life and hit nature's touch with opportunity procs. I'm not kidding. It's that easy. On aoe, just corrosion and wild growth for extra damage and heals. Use nature's splendor on aoe and add phases on bosses for full effect.
    For raid healing, spam a macro with nature's touch and vile spores. nature's touch heals for a truck load, even without synthesis. Other than that, use your brain and pop your skills when you think you need to.
    Last edited by Venditte; 08-21-2011 at 01:53 PM.

So, is 35/31 the defile+soul purge one, or is that the 38/28 one? Or is it both? And which do you think does more DPS?
    Xail - R41 Mage
    Guardian
    <We Are Legend>

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Venditte View Post
    I can't find anything here for almost anything. I mean, most of this stuff is self explanatory(archon 51 point duh, chloro raid heals 36chloro/30lock) but some people may not know that. I lurk these forums a lot and play a mage as my main, so I think I'm pretty knowledgeable.

-DPS Specs-
    Warlock / Necromancer / Archon builds - There are several good Necrolock builds.
    35/31 <- Recommended 38/28
    Which one is best, really depends on the person. I personally use, and recommend, 35/31. Why? Big dot/soul purge damage and several damage cooldowns. I used the 38/28 one for awhile, but overall, I have more fun with 35/31.
    For the specs without Defile, just keep Life Leech -> Necrosis -> Dark Touch and Soul Purge whenever you can.

For the defile/soul purge spec keep dots up and when you have full charge, defile -> soul purge 'till you're low and keep defile up while keeping all your dots up and soul purge when your charge gets high.

Pyromancer / Elementalist / Archon builds - The one and only... Great spec for burst damage and AoE.
    34/32
    Just spam a macro I'll throw in down below and pop Intensify Elements -> Heat Wave because Heat wave resets the cooldown on IE for no reason.

#show Fireball
    cast Inferno
    cast Flame Bolt
    cast Fireball
    DO NOT USE THIS MACRO IT IS A DPS LOSS.
    You will get roughly 10% less damage using this macro than is you take inferno out of it. Every time you hit this macro it sends a check to the servers to see what the mobs health is at before continuing the macro and that 1/10th of a second adds up to big dps loss. Put inferno outside your macro or have 2 macros, one for above 30% health and one for below and include it in that one.

And never use that 34/32 spec. Channel elements is useless it just plummets your dps. Don't be cheap use potions and go 35 in pyro it will up your dps 1.2% right off the bat.

Heat wave resets the cooldown on IE because fire is an element and HW resets fire cooldowns......
    Last edited by Raduk; 08-21-2011 at 02:05 PM.

Shield of Telara

Eh, I would argue against 51chloro/lock, especially 15 lock. At least through 5 in ele, and I would have to say that 10 into dom is your best bet. Opportunity CAN be nice, but you can't depend on it, and you can't learn how to properly time you casts on boss fights. Just as an example, timing your nature's touch with a big boss hit that's on a 2s cast, opportunity can actually ruin your rotation.

Take inferno out of your pyro macro. It's a dps loss as the game checks the health of the mob every time you press it, meaning you can't queue abilities properly and essentially adding extra time to your GCD.

I can't edit it now, but I don't play pyro/ele anyway. Thanks for letting me know that.

Quote Originally Posted by A Mage View Post
    So, is 35/31 the defile+soul purge one, or is that the 38/28 one? Or is it both? And which do you think does more DPS?
    35/31 is 35 lock, so no defile. You need 38 points in warlock for defile. I don't know which does more damage, but I get more dps with 35/31. Defile specs are pretty fun to juggle charge with, though. If I got more dps in that spec, I'd play it over just soul purging.
    Last edited by Venditte; 08-21-2011 at 02:13 PM.

Chloro build should always have 10 in Dom for utility + Acumen. Opp is pointless when 90% of the time you're spamming Void Life. Never use 34/32 Pyro/Ele or Sc/Ele. 35/31 + buy mana tonics.

http://www.twitch.tv/Screamoaktown - Live streaming 5v5's
    Skreamo@Greybriar
    <Wasted Talent>

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Raduk View Post
    You will get roughly 10% less damage using this macro than is you take inferno out of it. Every time you hit this macro it sends a check to the servers to see what the mobs health is at before continuing the macro and that 1/10th of a second adds up to big dps loss. Put inferno outside your macro or have 2 macros, one for above 30% health and one for below and include it in that one.

And never use that 34/32 spec. Channel elements is useless it just plummets your dps. Don't be cheap use potions and go 35 in pyro it will up your dps 1.2% right off the bat.

Heat wave resets the cooldown on IE because fire is an element and HW resets fire cooldowns......
    I disagree with not taking 32 in Elementalist.

If you get battle rezzed, you are completely screwed if you don't have channel elements. No amount of pots are going to make up for starting with 10% mana, you will run out of mana.

1.2% dps loss is minimal, you won't even notice it on the parse. RNG more than covers 1.2% damage. And if you run out of mana, your DPS loss is going to be a heck of a lot more than 1.2%.
    Last edited by FireWraith; 08-21-2011 at 04:29 PM.

GSB: 5/5, RoS: 4/4, HK: 10/11
    GP: 4/4, DH: 4/4

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by FireWraith View Post

If you get battle rezzed, you are completely screwed if you don't have channel elements. No amount of pots are going to make up for starting with 10% mana, you will run out of mana.

1.2% dps loss is minimal, you won't even notice it on the parse. RNG more than covers 1.2% damage. And if you run out of mana, your DPS loss is going to be a heck of a lot more than 1.2%.
    More importantly, what killed you? ;)

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by ElusiveJones View Post
    More importantly, what killed you? ;)
    There are 1 million and 1 different mechanics that will insta-gib you in HK, sometimes it is almost purely through RNG that you die (oh look, you got feared into 3 ground spawns because AoE cleanse isn't a smart-skill, enjoy taking 10k DPS).

GSB: 5/5, RoS: 4/4, HK: 10/11
    GP: 4/4, DH: 4/4

Rift Disciple

At higher gear levels Flamebolt is a dps loss, so you would be better off spamming straight fireball.

I agree with the 32 in Elementalist, however non elitist it makes me appear. Would you rather be uppity and useless when you make an error (and you know you do) or take a very slight nerf to your dps to continue to be a useful member of your raid? Progression fights sure pot as much as you need, but farm content do you really want to be popping mana pots every fight just because you have no alternative?

Shield of Telara

I use 35/31 for my pyro ele. I have never found that I need channel elements and I don't use pots that much as most fights end before I run out of mana and the archon can feed you if you get desperate (I've never needed that though).

Having said that I am not far through HK so maybe in there it is more needed since they have longer fights, but on our GSB/ROS farm night I use pyro/ele on a number of bosses and all trash and tend to use 1-2 pots for the night. One on LGS and maybe Alsbeth. Duke/Herald/Oracle/all trash die before I oom and on the other bosses I use necrolock.

Quote Originally Posted by FireWraith View Post

Not true. If I happen to die as pyro/ele I chug a potion and ask the local Archon for his mana regen buff and I'm good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Raduk View Post
    Yes. The macro I have currently has fireball, flame bolt, and countdown. Although I never see countdown up, so I might take that out.

Quote Originally Posted by AsphyxZero View Post
    Yes. The macro I have currently has fireball, flame bolt, and countdown. Although I never see countdown up, so I might take that out.
    If you have countdown after fireball (which it should be there) then it'll only cast when you're moving, which is the entire point of having it in there like that. Its a DPS loss to use it any other time.

SC/Ele while somewhat less Single target damage, it is awesome for those "It kills the adds before the boss" fights like herald, alsbeth and greenscale.

We have also been running a pair of 32 point Doms in HK to simplify the trash.
    Last edited by Hethroin; 08-22-2011 at 10:12 AM.
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Vice Chairman of the Defiant Repopulation Committee
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast