+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Archon = Confusing?

Prophet of Telara

Default Archon = Confusing?

Right well I've now happy I've got my DPS and chloro spec down and now it seems that I am actually more likely to be the guild's raiding Archon (not happy grumble grumble...) and well safe to say I have no idea how the Archon soul works!

I couldn't find anything on bluedot and the only "guide" i found in the sticky wasn't very helpful either.

Firstly I'll state what I think I know (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong):

Archons need to go 51 in the soul
    There is no agreed best 2nd/3rd soul

Now this is where I get confused - the way I interpret the Archon soul is you buff yourself only then to debuff yourself and instead then buff the entire raid...? I.e. no net gain/loss to yourself but the rest of the group gets nice buffs?

Thats about as far as my knowledge goes! I have no idea about rotations etc or what I use just before combat etc...

Help much appreciated as I'm due to Archon for our hopefuly GP completion run on Monday night!
    World First Maelforge, Salvarola and Ultane.
    Officially quit!
    Props to my old guilds: eXile, Special Olympics, Exploit, Last Dawn

Prophet of Telara

Keep crumbling resistance/ashen defense up on boss. Keep all 5 auras up (don't allow bard to run conflicting anthems). Keep yourself buffed with searing vit/lingering dust/rock slide.

Spam a macro will the following spells in the following order:

Earthen Barrage
    Volcanic Bomb
    Surging Flare
    Leeching Flames
    Pillaging Stone

You can add waning power to the top if you'd like, or cast it manually.

Power drain when needed, or simply toggle it on each rotation following VB (this will be highest dps). Flaring power when it's time for everyone to pop cd's.

Everyone agrees that 9dom/6pyro is the highest dps spec, while newbies with low hp roll with a 10ele/xx variant for survivability.
    Last edited by Kazzin; 08-21-2011 at 06:25 AM.

Soulwalker

Archon's not bad, a fairly simple system. If not a little boring.

Rift Junkies explained it better than Bluedots I think,

http://www.riftjunkies.com/2011/08/0...rm-the-archon/

Cast your 5 party buffs (2 of them get overwritten by bard buffs I found)
    Cast the 5 debuffs on the target (buffs you back up as well)
    Proceed with the macro described.
    Flaring Power on opportunity, rinse and repeat.

Z.

Prophet of Telara

Cheers guys - the riftjunkies link was probably the best explanation I've seen.

Given I'm just hitting over 1000dps with my necrolock what should I be aiming for as an archon?

Also the 9 points in dom and 6 in pyro go in which slots? Is the 6 in pyro to get ground of power?
    Last edited by AlexTrickle; 08-21-2011 at 08:07 AM.
    Officially quit!

Rift Disciple

Generally Archon will be about half the dps of a pure dps build, so for you it would be around 500-600dps.

Raiding mages doing 2k with lock/necro, etc will usually see 1000-1200ish.

Shadowlander

Default hmm

well riftjunkies seems to have done a good job. I dont agree with their secondary soul selection entirely. basicaly switch out warlock for 5 points into pyro or 4 points into pyro and your good. the added cast peed will speed up Surging Flare and Volcanic Bomb. fire armor increases the damge on more than a few abilities. I used to like ground of power but frankly archons are already squishy enough.

I could be wrong about pyro being critical ot the archon soul. I guess I am just thinking the faster its up, the faster the cooldown starts, the sooner it can go up again and the cycle goes on. with that thinking I would think towards the end of say a 10 minute fight I would get the buff up a few more times? eh w/e lol

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by maxvla View Post
    Generally Archon will be about half the dps of a pure dps build, so for you it would be around 500-600dps.

Raiding mages doing 2k with lock/necro, etc will usually see 1000-1200ish.
    Now this completely aside from topic i know but my build is pretty much reckoned as the top and I've got my rotation down. Is there literally 1k DPS to be found in gear from RoS/GSB??

(I have the 6 best planar essences already)
    Officially quit!

Quote Originally Posted by AlexTrickle View Post
    Now this completely aside from topic i know but my build is pretty much reckoned as the top and I've got my rotation down. Is there literally 1k DPS to be found in gear from RoS/GSB??

Nope. That gear comes from PvP. Duh.
    Xail - R41 Mage
    Guardian
    <We Are Legend>

Shield of Telara

It completely depends on the fight. 1k-1200 we're talking plutonus, sicaron where you basically just stand there and spam "1". Other fights like zilas, it's a good idea to put crumbling res. and the other one on the Magi, lowering your dps, but increasing the raid DPS on those adds by 7 and 5%, just don't go nuts debuffing, or at least debuff after you get your casted raid buff spells off.

Most is cleared up already in the post, but I also recommend not using Ground of Power as you're already the squishiest member in the raid, having the lowest resistance, lowest hitpoints and so on, giving yourself another 10% extra damage taken really doesn't improve that
    it's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society

Prophet of Telara

I parse over 1300 on the dummies. This raid scales to about 1500-1600 on the most ideal encounters (i.e. no movement).

Champion

Right well I've now happy I've got my DPS and chloro spec down and now it seems that I am actually more likely to be the guild's raiding Archon (not happy grumble grumble...) and well safe to say I have no idea how the Archon soul works!

I couldn't find anything on bluedot and the only "guide" i found in the sticky wasn't very helpful either.

Firstly I'll state what I think I know (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong):

Archons need to go 51 in the soul
    There is no agreed best 2nd/3rd soul

Now this is where I get confused - the way I interpret the Archon soul is you buff yourself only then to debuff yourself and instead then buff the entire raid...? I.e. no net gain/loss to yourself but the rest of the group gets nice buffs?

Thats about as far as my knowledge goes! I have no idea about rotations etc or what I use just before combat etc...

Help much appreciated as I'm due to Archon for our hopefuly GP completion run on Monday night!
    Bluedot has an extensive write-up about Archon specced mages. You may have looked at his old guild, here's the address: http://bluedots.org/2011/04/30/end-game-mage-pve-guide. Sorry I don't know how to link an address in a thread.

He also has the appropriate macro, and rotation. You buff your mates, which debuffs you, then you debuff the enemy, which buffs you. Keep up the buffs in 5-minutes intervals so you must pay attention to the clock.

Good luck.

Note: OK it turned the address into a usable link - didn't know that. Bluedots guide is updated for 1.4, as of 11 August 2011.
    Last edited by Raptor7; 08-22-2011 at 03:21 AM.

Plane Touched

For subsouls I like the Dom/Pyro combo. I actually go 11 into Dom for arresting presence, which is handy from fight to fight. But I think the top Archon "DPS" build is 9 Dom/6 Pyro? People claim sometimes breaking 1K. I don't get there, I'm more around the 700-ish range; though I have good gear. Part of it is that my build is more support than "dps", but still I'd like to figure out where I'm going wrong.

Shadowlander

Default idk

I normaly will pull around 900 on a stand still fight I guess sometimes a little higher sometiems lower. I guess there are a few things I could do to up my dps but i dont see that as a 400dps increase.

So either I am doing soemthing incredibly wrong or the people claiming that high dps are forgetting to keep thier buffs up.

I dont really see archon as a difficult class to play. But it is possible I have missed something or I am doing something fundamentaly wrong. idk

Is there someone out there who claims to pull 1300 dps or around that as a 51 point archon that would be willing to post some parses and a Correlating video. I would like to see if while attaining your epic dps you keep your buffs up. maybe thats too much to ask.
    Last edited by paintjunkie; 08-23-2011 at 09:29 PM.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by paintjunkie View Post
    I normaly will pull around 900 on a stand still fight I guess sometimes a little higher sometiems lower. I guess there are a few things I could do to up my dps but i dont see that as a 400dps increase.

So either I am doing soemthing incredibly wrong or the people claiming that high dps are forgetting to keep thier buffs up.

I dont really see archon as a difficult class to play. But it is possible I have missed something or I am doing something fundamentaly wrong. idk

Is there someone out there who claims to pull 1300 dps or around that as a 51 point archon that would be willing to post some parses and a Correlating video. I would like to see if while attaining your epic dps you keep your buffs up. maybe thats too much to ask.
    Prebuffed/debuffed + powerstone. 9dom/6pyro.

http://i54.tinypic.com/34opj7r.jpg

Would've prefered a 3min parse, but I noticed crumbling resistance had dropped off the dummy for some reason so I stopped it.
    Last edited by Kazzin; 08-23-2011 at 10:10 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast