+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: R8 mages please

Default R8 mages please

Do you feel gaining roughly 40'ish spellpower on mainhand and offhand or 120'ish spellpower from staff scales as well vs r8 rogues or warriors that go from 34 dps weapons to 44 dps weapons?

I'm not rank 8 yet as I struggle with tolerating warfronts, but do you feel gaining that amount of spellpower and fighting melee scales as well as them gaining 10 dps per weapon and attacking us in cloth is on par? I asked the question if melee would prefer to keep their 34 dps and gain 40 attack power, or gain 10 dps on their weapon and of course they all said 44 dps weapon.

Once again I'm not r8, but logically it just doesnt appear that gaining 120 spellpower total would do as much damage to melee classes, as a melee would gain by gaining 10 dps per weapon attacking a mage, but I could be wrong so just curious.

pre-thanks for any info.

Champion

We have a R8 Warrior that used his R8 gear (minus the stuff that has hit) and 2x R8 daggers and pulled 3k+ DPS on Sicaron. Wouldn't have believed it myself if I wasn't parsing.

I don't see a mage doing that with similar gear.
    Last edited by FireWraith; 08-20-2011 at 07:48 PM.

GSB: 5/5, RoS: 4/4, HK: 10/11
    GP: 4/4, DH: 4/4

I keep getting told mages scale better then any other class, not so sure *shrug*
    JD - Formerly Archivist
    ||P8 Mage||11/11 HK||
    Breaking Bads @ Seastone
    Recruiting 1 Warrior or Rogue Tank - Apply on the Website!!

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by ArchivistCarrion View Post
    I keep getting told mages scale better then any other class, not so sure *shrug*
    Meaning we're the most useless as fresh lvl 50's, but through months of raiding we can manage to be on par with other classes?

Probably.

You have to look at the total package, our synergy crystal gives us 200 power, same as them, except their attack power scales about 50% worse.

When you combine the p8 crystal + weapon for mage and for melee the comparison in total damage increase is pretty close IMO.
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Vice Chairman of the Defiant Repopulation Committee
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Kazzin View Post
    Meaning we're the most useless as fresh lvl 50's, but through months of raiding we can manage to be on par with other classes?

Probably.
    Definitely been noticing this. Hit 50 about 3 weeks ago and still was fragile as an egg with ~ 350int and about 500SP now having run through all T2s, all DRRs and started GP/DH and feel like I can actually hit things. My DPS has nearly trebled for a doubling in stats - gone from 350dps to around 1000dps now.
    World First Maelforge, Salvarola and Ultane.
    Officially quit!
    Props to my old guilds: eXile, Special Olympics, Exploit, Last Dawn

Rift Disciple

Melee weapons are 10x more important to melee than the rest of their gear is.

Mages need all the R8 gear (or at least enough for the new synergy crystal) before it starts getting comparable to the upgrades melee get from weapons. I got R8 today and got the staff and wand. Still doesn't feel much different. Gonna need all the gear before it feels like I'm R8.

I see. Some good points here..

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by FireWraith View Post
    We have a R8 Warrior that used his R8 gear (minus the stuff that has hit) and 2x R8 daggers and pulled 3k+ DPS on Sicaron. Wouldn't have believed it myself if I wasn't parsing.

I don't see a mage doing that with similar gear.
    We had a warrior do 3k without any PVP gear.

Casters don't scale nearly as well as melee do with weapons, but we make up for it through other gear. (kind of)
    Last edited by opaque; 08-21-2011 at 07:09 AM.
    www.maximation.us
    #1 Guardian raiding guild. Check us out if you think you have what it takes!

-Opi & Opii @ Shatterbone

Quote Originally Posted by opaque View Post
    We had a warrior do 3k without any PVP gear.

Casters don't scale nearly as well as melee do with weapons, but we make up for it through other gear. (kind of)
    HOW? AoE?.
    Xail - R41 Mage
    Guardian
    <We Are Legend>

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Shhhh View Post
    Do you feel gaining roughly 40'ish spellpower on mainhand and offhand or 120'ish spellpower from staff scales as well vs r8 rogues or warriors that go from 34 dps weapons to 44 dps weapons?

I'm not rank 8 yet as I struggle with tolerating warfronts, but do you feel gaining that amount of spellpower and fighting melee scales as well as them gaining 10 dps per weapon and attacking us in cloth is on par? I asked the question if melee would prefer to keep their 34 dps and gain 40 attack power, or gain 10 dps on their weapon and of course they all said 44 dps weapon.

Once again I'm not r8, but logically it just doesnt appear that gaining 120 spellpower total would do as much damage to melee classes, as a melee would gain by gaining 10 dps per weapon attacking a mage, but I could be wrong so just curious.

pre-thanks for any info.
    I'm hitting lightning bursts for about ~150 more damage.

So, no. I don't notice a difference besides the amount of HP I have. Very underwhelming.

Quote Originally Posted by A Mage View Post
    HOW? AoE?.
    There's no AOE on the Sicaron fight, but your damage does get boosted if everyone stays inside a blue circle. The longer the fight goes on the higher the dps climbs so that's how it works

There's no AOE on the Sicaron fight, but your damage does get boosted if everyone stays inside a blue circle. The longer the fight goes on the higher the dps climbs so that's how it works
    Ah. I wouldn't know, my guild isn't there yet. :P
    Xail - R41 Mage
    Guardian
    <We Are Legend>

Quote Originally Posted by livnthedream View Post
    its called not sucking, you should try it.
    Uh, I can't tell if youre being sarcastic, but i've never done the fight, and anything close to 3k DPS ST is unheard of.
    Xail - R41 Mage
    Guardian
    <We Are Legend>

Ascendant

That is false. The damage buff is static throughout the entire fight. There are small periods where you don't have it, but it doesn't become any more beneficial in the last 5 seconds of the fight then during the first 5 seconds.

I believe our lock/necro was around 2200-300 on our last kill.
    www.maximation.us
    #1 Guardian raiding guild. Check us out if you think you have what it takes!

-Opi & Opii @ Shatterbone

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast